What's wrong with this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pavlitto, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

You can craft some decent stuff to use when you start your end game grind. But you can't make a living solely as a crafter in ESO. It is easy to craft in ESO but having to unlock abilities is the time sync.

2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

@Sentinel2 I have played ESO since it was in beta and my total hours played is around 700. I normally play new content. SoTa I have over 3000 hours. I think that says alot about replayability of SoTA.

Sean Silverfoot and Astirian like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You misspelled "grind."

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Exactly my thought...

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yeah, that was a helpful comment..................*shakes head*

Onyx likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

As helpful as your reply. Regardless, it was a joke. Relax a little.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah man! Be chill like my man Dance Club Duane: ;)

Arya Stoneheart and Xandra7 like this.
  8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Been playing SOTA since R1. I think I'm familiar enough with the game to say that the grind here is intense vs ESO.

Gathering in ESO is pretty easy. I'm not standing around for 60 seconds at times waiting to see what I get from a node. In ESO it's a few seconds at best.

Take it for what it's worth.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Nodes also respawn quickly, and are far more prevalent. Though, it's harder to gather a specific resource, since all types seem to be scattered roughly equally in ESO. (Except leather, which drops from some types of creatures.)

I would love to see every scene in Novia with "forest/wood/timber/etc." have its quantity of tree nodes doubled or tripled. And more pearl nodes along shorelines. Ditto ash/brimstone nodes in volcanic scenes, and cotton in... I don't know, prairie/plains scenes? Scales are trickier, they make the most sense dropping from lizards, but the only lizards in the game are dragons. There are scales nodes. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen them in scenes populated by dragons, except for the dragon stag encounter. That should be rectified immediately. Slaying dragons should still be the best source, but players not at that level should be able to at least creep around dragon scenes and collect scales. Or, swap out crocs for giant gilas, or some other scaled lizard that can be farmed for scales.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Only difference in SotA is farming mats is a time sink. Can't tell you how many hours/days I've spent in a mine to get ore to have it burned up when trying to craft something easy.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That, and the main time sync in ESO crafting is trait research, which happens in the background, whether you are in game or not.

12. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

My point is as much as I enjoyed the story and lore of ESO. I become bored quickly. Leveling is fast, crafting is pointless, PvP is not at all balanced,and if you plan on doing PvE trials you need to play a build that is consider optimal and not one your like, housing is key at best, mounts are ok but basically they use the same models and reskin them. I will continue to play the ESO expansions but that is usually 20 to 40 hours of new content then I stop playing.

In shroud I might gather resource, decorate my house, craft a bit, go to a player run event, kill high end creatures, test out difference builds. For me the options here are plenty

13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sadly, I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about loot. Just not a switch that can be flipped though. I think a lot of this goes back to a flawed initial plan of all the best loot in game being crafted. Slowly working towards a solution but don't expect this to be fixed in a release but rather gradually over time. It actually is way better than it used to be.

15. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I don't think the initial plan for best loot in game being crafted was flawed, it just wasn't implemented correctly. Loot doesn't have to be an artifact, it could be a component that is crafted into "best in slot" item. At the moment most loot is either junk (plates, jars, candles etc) that just makes it an inventory management game or its the 0.00001% chance you get what you were looking for.

MANTACO, Cordelayne, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, the problem is that these sort of components end up being too rare (rare drop rate of the item, rare chance to salvage the component...) after you have to pass the exceptional check and the RNG checks. You usually end up needing 10 times as many as you'd acutally need.

What might work better are non-rare alternative components, or ingredients to make alternate components. The key is that these are drop only rather than made from harvested materials (or at least, one ingredient of them is drop only). We have stuff like this now, but the drop rates combined with the crafting system...issues....really reduce their viability.

Example - have bandits occasionally drop like, a broken pocketwatch. Salvage for brass bindings which do their own thing.
    Replace all the pointless craploot with stuff that has a purpose. Have it drop often enough that you can actually get a viable/meaningful amount.
    Keep the craploot/deco/etc. on like tier 1-3 only if people want to farm it or new players need rusty deco. Past that point, its just a nuisance.

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Fair enough. I don't disagree.

One thing ESO has that SOTA doesn't.

Players.

I go into towns and I'm floored with all the activity. I've had duels. I've paired up with people on occasions. In many instances, I've run into scenes where people were already involved in a quest. It feels alive.

In SOTA, I wish this was the case. It get's rather lonely being the only player in a scene. I'm not talking about guildmates. I have a guild. And we join up when the mood suites us.

I'm talking randomly running into a scene and there are people!

That's what I'd like to see in SOTA. Someday.

Oh and more loot Chris ;-)

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Its because use should to choose - we cant get a great loot while the private mode is possible.
    Many times said on this forum, risk&reward&competition, there is just no place for private mode here.

19. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Here we go with the loot discussions again. Chris repeating what Starr said many times, that loot will get better. You can go back over years of posts and nothing was ever improved. We’ll have another post like this six months from now.

arcdevil likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

ammount of loot and the value of loot was increased several times.

Over years ago, soem of the best loot you could hope for was a rusty halberd and 600 gold in vendor trash for an hour of play.

Since then:
    Artifacts
    gradually increasing the number of and viability of those artifacts
    Supply bundles
    Adding much higher value loot and gold drop to harder monsters
    Adding more consistant high value sellables to bosses and increasing their gold drop further
    Adding rare crafting components as drops, as well as drop-exclusive common crafting components
    Increasing the rate of artifact drops greatly on bosses
    Increasing the rate that cotos drop (by splitting their value)
    Increasing harvestable yield from gathering nodes
    common and rare pattern drops
    Adding rare chances for houses and land deeds to drop
    boss exclusive gear drops
    increased frequency of supply bundle drops

So you cant truthfully say that over the last few years nothing was improved/loot wise. Its just that folks get tired of the common drops and want the rare drops to be more common.

I agree with scoffer that cool craftable GEAR that need more dropped stuff as components is the way to go about gear. But i think that stuff needs to have a good balance of entering/leaving the game at a reasonable cost so that its always in demand, but not excruviating for a self reliant person to make for themselves, but difficult enough that buying from others is a desirable option

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Astirian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.