Daily tasks and quests discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aartemis, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

On the subject, I think that while there are a LOT of things to do in Shroud, its not always that obvious to a new type of player. So many games help the new player FIND things to do and I think Shroud struggles very much with that. I understand that the new questing system is something in the works, but I also think a "dailies" job board would go a LONG way to helping players find the content that is out there.

Lets face it, some people just don't do very well figuring out what they "feel" like doing. In many jobs, people get home, are tired and they just want the game to guide them without having to figure it all out every single day. I can see people logging in, staring at the screen for 15 minutes, realize they don't know what they want to do (maybe they are stuck on their quests and want to give it a break). It would be nice to go to the daily job board i.e. mission system and pick something to do. For BOTH crafting and adventuring, heck even PvP, why not?

While it would be great to have lots of fun story behind it, simply listing out the jobs for starters would work.

Kill 20 Wolves in Solace Forest
    Kill 15 Bears in Boundless Forest
    Kill 30 Spiders in Savernoc Hills

Turn it in, get XP, Random Buff, maybe a nice Supply Bundle. They already have a Bulletin Board, tweek it slightly, put it on the Compass of the NPC towns (or even just make it a window UI without an town presence).

Get the players out and about in the world doing things and you never know, they might meet someone doing the same quest. Allow party to share kills. So bonus for grouping.

If SOTA is trying to get NEW players then its time to focus on systems designed to pull in players that want something a little different then is already offered. As the difficulty rises you will probably want to group up to make those kill quests go faster. Perhaps maybe they are repeatable 3 times a day?

I know Shroud is a Sandbox but helping players FIND content will go a long way to keeping those new players interested.

2. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Great idea Aartemis. I agree with you on the wanting the game to give me ideas. It would be a fun to be able to do mini daily quests. Something interesting that takes me to a place i wasn't planning on going to or wouldn't go to normally. On top of that, i get a feeling of accomplishment. All very positive things, even for a veteran player.

Fenris

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I love Aartemis's idea! A bulletin board with tasks, heck even put the group finder there, might promote access to the group finder, which would be great!

And make the rewards somewhat worthwhile, %exp from the players Adv.Lvl, with a yellow bundle for easy tasks, orange bundle for a medium task, and Blue bundle for a hard task, with some usefull ressources! Do the same for crafting, where the task could be to bring in x of a crafted item, be it a component or an item, this could help in direcring the player, and reqard them with recipees by actually crafting instead of fighting for them!

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I love this idea
    Why even put a limit on it ? Let people pick, little quest or big quest, and if big quest is kill 200 of something, then that's going to take them a couple hours. If they finish it, pick up another, WHY NOT ? It would add some context and extra reward to the grind instead of relying on the uhhh....loot tables...to make things worthwhile. Add it with crafting as well, as a way to get recipes instead of relying on 3 layers of rng. Suddenly you have a reason to go get materials and make stuff other than trying to sell it.

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I would think it would be a system that could be put together without a major time investment. It builds on a lot of what they already have. Most of it can be auto-generated instead of time spent writing quests. I too love the idea of easy and hard jobs. Glow or Highlight the job "notes" in the CON colors used by ADV level. I dont know if it would be easier or more difficult to use NOTES as opposed to a programmed text, but this could be expanded to include COLLECT jobs, bring me 100 pelts, 10 bandit swords, etc. Base the rewards appropriately.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Can just have player specify what tier of quest they want, based on the existing zone tier system. Ask for Tier 5, get sent for <something> in a Tier 5 zone. Either make these options, or have separate boards for different difficulties with the skullmarkers on them. Need a couple dropdowns and some canned text, few options for each tier. Doesn't sound like it would require a lot, creativity wise.

7. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

It reminds me of the Mission console on SWG. There were missions of varying levels of difficulty. Nothing prevented anyone from choosing any of them. The payouts were commensurate with the mission level of difficulty. Nothing tied to the player, just choose the mission, do the thing, get the stated payout.

This would work wonders for casual and new players.

Fenris

8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

It would be cool if they made the bulletin board fill with job notes. Maybe you can pick 3 at a time... Board refills. Make one for PvP, One for Crafting, one for Adventuring.

Perhaps you can buy ones in the COTO store for your town? Allow you to set the Tier level of the job notes created. Maybe a refresh Button?

Its all stuff/assets they already have. Just a bit of code in the background to track and turn in.

9. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I was just thinking about the 3 at time. That's exactly how SWG did it. You could have 3 running at any time. You could also abandon the mission(s) and re-choose new ones from any mission terminal. Don't think you could choose the same mission twice in the same 24hr period though.

I love the idea of having it be a purchasable item for POT's. To be fair, though they should also be available in regular towns as well.

Fenris

10. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Of course! low level towns can have low tier boards and work up to towns like Brittany that have bigger tiers.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There are currently 4 daily quests in the game right now. Just FYI.

Sulaene Moon and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But some can be pre-farmed and end up being a daily collection like the oracle after you've hunted for an item (looking at you Sieges...)

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

How you manage those quests are up to you.

I just do them daily.

14. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I know of the sieges daily quest, what are the other three?

15. Oracle Watcher

Oracle Watcher Avatar

Bzzt, this topic was being discussed in a unrelated thread and has been given its own thread for greater visibility.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

• collecting letters for the courier in necropolis barrens
    • shaking down the locals for the thug on the docks of broochash
    • collecting a rune bag for the alchemist in yew
      (start this with the seer at the dock in noreach)

Jaesun likes this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

There's also turning in the bounty hunt slips, prayer books, and survey things from the random encounters.

Like most quests though, the effort they take is not really worth the reward they give. In the time you spend on loading screens alone, you could have gotten more xp/gold just staying wherever you were. =/

That's why I like this task board idea, since you can get a quest for stuff you're going to be killing -anyway-, and hopefully the rewards can scale up to the difficulty or length of the quest. If 8000 xp is the reward for a quest that takes 5 minutes, something that takes a couple hours should be a matter of scaling this up.

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The Bounty Slips, Survey Ticket and Prayer Card are all repeatable. The 4 daily quests are only once per 24 hours.

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. 7thRankedNoob

7thRankedNoob Avatar

This is a great idea Aartemis.

I'd love to see this attached to say the 'Lot boards' in all cities as a little poster. Click it to see quests the cities want you to take up. Cities around Tier 2 scenes would have Tier 2 quests etc ...

Even better, have Tavern barkeeps give out the quests (like local rumors or missives from Town magistrates etc)... give people a reason to hang out in Taverns. I miss that from old games like Star Wars Galaxies...

Would also love to see a small XP boost (or some other bonus) for hanging out in a Tavern for 10+ minutes. To me, most meeting areas in Novia seem really barren of players. We need a 'reason' to hang out in places... make the towns look like the social hubs they should be.

20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, so combining this idea with the other idea....

Taverns in cities give you a sort of buff for going in and hanging out for some minimum amount of time....
    While you're there, instead of just standing around, peruse today's job listings, say a 'small' and a 'large' job of Tier 1-3, Tier 4-5, and Tier 6+. 3 message boards isn't too cluttery I don't think.
    These jobs could include things like going to a particular scene and collecting something, killing something, rescuing someone, whatever. Have a few dozen options and cycle them every so often.
    Since its a tavern, you could also have a board offering small cooking/brewing jobs using 'quest materials' (no-trade stuff) for producer XP, or doing non-combat tasks like cleaning tables, sweeping the floor, etc.
    Anything to create a presence of people who come to get the buff and their "jobs", and stick around doing a few things waiting for the buff to kick in and maybe, you know, socialize.

You could even build up reputation with taverns in different cities and unlock unique recipes, emotes, etc.

What we don't want, is to force people to stand somewhere with nothing to do. Game has enough of that already and it doesn't add anything - people just go afk.

Astirian and Witcheypoo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.