Meaningful PVP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Someone with a better memory will probably help me here, but there is a shardfall that is supposed to be levelled to skill lvl 80, so if you make sure you are visible on the leaderboards, one of those trackers will see you've entered the zone and might come and challenge you! Heck, @Antrax Artek why don't you guys organise a PvP tournament in that shardfall during No-Nut Ransom-December? Might be fun for those who barely/never pvp!

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

opalis

Numa, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Obviously it had to be the Oop!

So yeah, lets get a PvP tournament organised during the no ransom period in Opalis Shardfall, all are welcome, everyone would be capped at level 80, so no unfair skill advantage!

4. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

problem with an event in Opalis has always been that everybody is flagged, so heals and spells go astray, and invariably a sociopath will come and start attacking everybody. Best idea if you want that is to have somebody flag their POT no ransom, and level capped. There is currently no level capped POT because it also caps crafting skills, so residents can not craft in that town.

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But wouldnt that lead to the same outcome? Someone could still come in and make a mess in a pvp town?

6. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Right, level adjusted not pvp flagged I meant, and misspoke

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Let's see what I can do about the tournament, it would be interesting.

A special map/arena dedicated to esport, with no ransoms, where all skills are raised (if you have them lower) or lowered (if you have them higher) to reach level 80 in all skills, with specializations and warding disabled and the cap on gear or forced default gear buyable for free from a vendor but usable just in the map or a simply gear/stats cap like for skills levels, would really be a good experiment.
    Almost no mmorpg has such a system, which is why they are often cut off from the esports lists.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Why couldn't the Obsidian Trials be used for this? I don't think anyone currently uses it so why not have it in something already built?

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That could be the way to revive it! Have anyone who joins the lobby be leveled to 80, no spec, and base stats on gear (so if you brjng a bronze 2h sword you go in with just a basic 2h sword from the npc in terms of stats). This could work very well in getting more people involved in it.

10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I would join for pvp with those conditions and the ones Antrax propsed.

11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Same here. Could have all spells reagent free and maybe a certain number of free potions available at the start of each fight. So it's essentially just a zero cost slugfest.

And for those that don't want to just fight for free, you could have wagers in gold or cotos. Everyone wagers the same amount and you could have payouts for 1st, 2nd 3rd place etc.

12. Restless

Restless Avatar

I would actually agree with no loot considering it's base gear. You can use literally any old gear from a vendor.

The gear PvPrs use takes hours and hours of grind or spending a lot of actual money for cotos from the store to pay for mats and someone to make the gear. Then it needs repair kits / ancient essence constantly or full coto repairs. This is part of why there needs to be some form of loot in open pvp. Archers and any melee completely ruin hard earned or highly paid for gear instantly.

I would be very excited for OT to finally be used by a lot of people if it were setup this way and people are willing to go.

Adam Crow and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  13. eli

eli Avatar

I had some ideas for the gear problem in PvP:

Make the stat calculation on PvE artifacts * 0.25 for PvP hits. This would reign in everyone and make crafted gear viable/superior for every slot.

Then, introduce PvP weapons, one 1H sword, one 2H, one 1H mace etc, which have * 4 stat power for PvP hits. (These could be crafted with PvP scene drops and be fully unrepairable to generate action in PvP scenes)

Then, pvpers will be more or less on a baseline stat-wise without having to completely reinvent the entire gear system.

But most importantly, the stats of the PvP weapons could be manipulated individually to balance PvP classes without affecting PvE in any way.

FrostII, Numa, kaeshiva and 2 others like this.
  14. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

PvP is dead, I have more fun PvP in Arma3.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Very cool ideas!

FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
  16. Restless

Restless Avatar

x4 stat power is not a good idea. Polearms and archers are already hitting hard enough to 1shot most players on a good crit, 2 hits if bad crit - with crafted gear, no special artifacts.

The gear is fine but after this last crafting buff bonanza and DS nerf, DR needs a giant buff to balance things out. I mean, how could any dev have expected to have no issues after doubling stats? Dragons were already DR buffed because of it, but pvp was ignored, even after DS nerf. All of this not even mentioning artifact combining and socketing.

@Chris is a metrics guy and has all of them. Why he hasn't done anything about the 1k+ crits (without fireflies) archers and polearms are again doing is beyond me.

Dragons can still be downed in less than a minute with fire or swords. The krul clockwork dragon is less than 5 minutes with fire even. These are solo times, group times are ridiculously short.

Dhanas likes this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Well the ideas in general are pretty cool. The numbers could be adjusted to make it work, don't you think?

I liked the idea of a pvp weapon market. And items that are exclusively for pvp gathered in pvp zones.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

OT giving essence would be cool :).

19. Restless

Restless Avatar

Numbers could also be adjusted on player's DR without all this extra work of new pvp items, essence, a new economy really. All of this will take a year or more the way SOTA progresses. Adjusting DR would take only an afternoon looking at current metrics.

If that's not quick enough, @Chris could speak with the Black Sails crew and organize another (this time announced) test event for maybe 2 hours with patches being pushed every 30 min it would be done at the end.

Dhanas and Adam Crow like this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Now that's a solid suggestion right there!! All I want for Christmas is my DR adjusted!

Dhanas, Restless and CatherineRose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.