The more I read about this game. The more i go OH OH..8(

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by BIGGUNSAR, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGUNSAR

BIGGUNSAR Avatar

I WANT UO

I WANT FELUCIA

I want the excitement and the highs and lows that only UO brought out.

It made me cheer out loud. It made me mad out loud (insert curses and fist slamming) and it made me have genuine fear, running from things that tried to kill me. cause you didnt' want to lose your stuff and wander around until you found a healer that rezed you. Cause you wanted to go back quickly and get your stuff. Even if that meant dying again!.

The reason no other MMO (and i have beta tested a fark ton). Makes me feel anything but "button mash button mash, boreddddddddd"

Because they don't allow you to roam freely.
    You can only go so far, then your "level" prevents you from going any futher. So lets kill 1000 bug bears just so I can go over that hill. That sucks.
    LEVELS........worst idea in any MMO
    Two best combat games, UO. and Elderscrolls single player. More you used that weapon or spell. The better you got at it.
    Im sorry devs, but if your going to implement XP points. Might as well call it "levels". It's going to fail. Your card deck thing. ya..maybe. But the XP thing.....trust me on this one.

UO's intricate crafting. (this has never been beaten in ANY game)
    And finally, vendors and housing.

If they could make this game like UO felucia.

I KNOW they would have a solid market.

There are old guys like me, that REFUSE to play the MMO * that is out there now. WOW clones. slight different variations. But same standard model.

The game designers of this game should ask themselves this. IF UO is still talked about today. After what....almost 20 years.

Dontcha think, you should create it again, but with the graphics i see in this game.

Just a thought.

I have until tomorrow (time limit i gave myself) to decide if i was going to buy the 800 dollar knight package.

After reading alot of the "future" implentations that are going in this game. I see it starting to slowly verge from UO to something entirely different.

So, more than likely. Probably not going to spend that money, on a game, that is a crap shoot.

If the devs said "we are making this exactly like UO with some new content" They would have had my money monday, when i found this site.

Oh well.........

*Edited for Language - Koldar

Lustmagier, Rothach, Siili and 10 others like this.
  2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

can i get your items xD
    Oh wait...

Silent Strider, Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My suggestion is wait till they release more info on the combat and PvP designs.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

It will not be just a continuation of Ultima online. This is a completely new game with a new combat system. You can not just mindlessly move all the features of UO, given the new world and graphics and so on, something needs to change. Please do not be dinosaurs that are afraid of change. You is not seen nothing yet. Richard Garriott has created a lot of good games! You trust him? Then believe in Sota. I believe! At the same time I am also a fan of UO.

Ned888, Amaranthus, docdoom77 and 5 others like this.
  5. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I agree with op. One of the best thigs about UO is right off the bat you could do anything you wanted and go anywhere. With a travel map thats likely linear it confines exploration to nearly a joke. It would have been very beneficial if they just made it not a UO clone but more than lipservice as a successor and have it more like a remake with major upgrades cause thats the only way RG is going to obtain his IP again that he lost to EA. What were u thinking Richard? Selling off your best IP?!?!?

Siili, apoc01, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  6. Pyro

Pyro Avatar

To be fair, every time I see OP's name, I read it like a dinosaur... BIGGUNSAUR.

However, I am entirely with you. I don't want another UO. I loved UO, but I don't want another one, I want a new game, a new journey, experience, to lead me into the future. Sure, borrow from UO; borrow all of the good things, and make new ones!

apoc01, Darkbynight, Ned888 and 3 others like this.
  7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think OP should change his name to Biggunsaurus Rex

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Tane Mahuta

Tane Mahuta Avatar

As someone said above, this is not UO, so if you want all the features of UO you might want to try one of the free shards? SOTA is the spiritual successor to the Ultima 'Series' inspired by Ultima 4,5,6,7 and also UO.

Ned888, docdoom77, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Having strong opinions on SotA based on longtime player experience in one of the best PvP guilds give me the right as a pledger to inform developers where they seem to have taken a wrong turn. Same for OP.

Card combat, house system, open PvP and insurance will be addressed until the final set in stone version is out.

That is very far from being a old dinosaur. Accepting blindly is far worse in my eyes.

10. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

UO has private servers designed to emulate the way it was back in the day. If you want UO then go play UO...

Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  11. Veylen The AenigmA

If they want a UO remake thats their opinion no need to be a jerk about it

12. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

I agree and disagree. I liked loved 'old school' UO but I realize a more balanced approach needs to be taken. Most people will disagree with me, but I still think that it is possible to give people an old school UO feel and still fully satisfy some players desires to not participate in PvP (in the same server). I know, it's crazy huh? Anyways, those are ideas for another topic.

To your point..being a software engineer, I hang out with lots of nerds, it's awesome. Of all the people I have been pitching this game to, a lot of them are ex-MMO players (or still dabbling in some) and they want something different...Something that is not a clone of the standard MMO on the market. All of them agree that MMO's have gone stale (Not everyone here may agree with that). Inevitably, however, all of the discussions come back to how open, free and unique UO was. And how much they want something like it, even for those who never had the chance to play it. So I agree and I hope this game ends up capturing the uniqueness of the first Ultimate RPG (UO), but I disagree with making exactly like old UO because I believe it needs some serious balancing to various styles of game play. I too am anxious to hear their plans for this area of the game, of all of my potential referrals...not knowing the details of this feature hangs them up the most. Blast!

13. Veylen The AenigmA

It seems like every time they have a chance to make it similar to UO they take the opposite path. Atm the only similarity is naming. IE the horrid map map movement that kills exploration and same features could have been accomplished with phasing and instances and maintained a completely open world

Theres a reason nearly no AAA titles use the map system for overworld movement atm i cant think of any

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  14. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar will not be anything like UO.
    It's not UO or even part of the Ultima series.
    Thats probably due to the fact EA will knock on Richards door with the legal team from hell if it was.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I havent seen anything yet that remotely resembles UO! Just saying!

16. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Are we still snowed in at work? ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think my relief just showed up! YES!

majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
  18. jerger

jerger Avatar

I loved uo, loved it. One thing I always thought they could do better and many pvp games is reward the good guys helping people. Its great when there were good guilds but as time went on there was no reward. Ganking/killing prey was always the easiest option. The battles for good players always ended up someone running fast off screen when attacked (pker) and recalling home. That wasn't exactly fun. Then most players would simply teleport in and gank/pk.

It was fun the first 1-2 year when there was tactics and style and not "everyone is on a horse/mount all the time". The speed became ridiculous with infinite horse stamina.

I would like to see a larger reward for being good than a larger nerf for being bad.

19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Or maybe a reward for being bad, and a nerf for being good? Good and bad is all in the eye of the beholder and privy to opinion.

majoria70, blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  20. jerger

jerger Avatar

The problem is gameplay balance. Originally in uo years 1-2 you had 50% newbs, 10-20% pks, good guilds making up the rest.

Years 3-5 90% pks... it just wasnt that much fun anymore when everyone is pking. So they started to implement nerfs and trammel etc.

Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.