1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Still unable to place deco on castle walls

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Lace, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

These sell for big bucks in store, some backers received these, you can craft them, and many land owners and POT owners have used them to beautify their spaces but ....

You cannot place deco on the walls, or on top of the walkways. We have all these lovely freestanding banners, guard towers, outhouses, construction equipment and many other subscription rewards, craftable items that would so enhance the looks of these.

It has been mentioned several times that this would be changed (don't lawyer me bro) and I realize it means revisiting each piece in store, rewards and craftable, but it sure would go a long way to the beatification of the fortifications we have in game.

2. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

I am still a newbie here but have to chime in and say this has been a major source of frustration for me too. When I couldn't place banners on the castle walls (purchased from the store) I actually thought I was doing it wrong. There are a couple of things I don't pretend to understand the reasons for..... like not being able to put your guild name in a crest banner (coat of arms) for heraldry items.... signs that are blank and have no writing on them.... no way to visually identify anything in game with names, like businesses, guilds, taverns, etc.

I'm sure there must be some sort of logic behind these decisions, and I am certain that had I been here for as long as many of the players here, I would know what these logical reasons are. Since that is not the case, it just leaves me frustrated.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

would love to have this as well, there is towers that are unused as well good space on walls for all sorts of deco.

Mal Hari, Sentinel2, Ataniiq and 3 others like this.
  4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

The text of the signs is of course just visible if you place your mouse on them but there are signs with "sigil" possible. Basically the same recipe as the blank one but by adding a sigil (you can buy at crafting material NPCs) you create a sign that has said sigil visible attached to it. You can create that way e.g. Air Magic Signs, Blacksmith Signs, Bookseller Signs,…
    Some more fancy versions of the craftable signs you can buy in the addon store that look like that:

[​IMG]

And aside of that there are also runic letters ingame to e.g. place in runic the word T+A+V+E+R+N above the entrance of a tavern. ;)

5. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

That's true Lars but I don't see the cute graphic image of a bear in a "tutu" with the name "Dancing Bear Tavern" on the sign, which is what I would love to have for the tavern I am working on. And yes, I suppose I could trot down the street in Brit Alleys or Resolute or Ardoris stopping in front of each shop to hover over the sign to see what it says, but somehow that's not the same as strolling down the road gandering at all the super creative and unique signs the shop owners display proudly in front of their places. And of course not many of us read runic letters, and I'm pretty sure not many people would recognize even the word "Tavern" in runes, nor would they give it a second thought if they could read it. Besides, where is the unique identity, pride and sense of accomplishment in working so hard and spending so much money to build my fabulous new business "TAVERN"?

No matter what we say here about what is missing, what might be better, what seems to have been overlooked, and dare I say what we certainly have the technology to do but for some strange reason don't, ...we're still going to get champions of the status quo explaining how we just don't understand, the system already gives us that..... when in fact it doesn't.

This is not my first virtual rodeo Lars. I have taken great pride in building and operating a variety of establishments in other 3d worlds, and one of the things any builder can tell you is that "branding" that creation is one of the most exciting and satisfying aspects of the entire experience. I fail to see why we should have a heraldry system which doesn't allow text.... or why we can only place heraldry on cloth banners and not also on signs in a variety of sizes, shapes and materials. Look at family crests and coats of arms and what do you see? All the pieces of proper heraldry including the ribbon at the bottom (and often the top) proudly proclaiming to the world your families name, the important part, "Von Drachental". And by the way, even runic letters are not allowed in heraldry here in SOTA. We are forbidden from including that essential part of branding. Why? Because someone might abuse the system and write something offensive or controversial? I wouldn't be able to buy into that argument since our custom artwork is already reviewed and approved anyway. Must be some other reason, but I can't imagine what it could be. This seems so counter-intuitive. To me it doesn't make any sense at all to withhold the most important element... Identitty.

Anyway, Lace's original post on this thread was about castle walls and the inability to place banners and other items on them. I fear I have led this thread in a slightly different direction. This was not intentional. My apologies Lace.

I'm trying to imagine this game without the cool logo and name. You would arrive at the website and wonder what game the site represents. No worries, just hover over the symbol of a generic image of a joystick up in the corner and in a moment it will say "G+A+M+E". Oh yeah.... sounds like fun! ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Jakkal and Duke Olahorand like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It is true you can't do that precise thing, having your personal logo on a sign, but you can have it on a banner! With the heraldry system, although not quite what you were expecting, but still offers the possibility to submit your image to the game, have it imported, and then you can apply it to banners or shields or many things actually, and decorate with that!

As for the suggestion from Lace, I am all in for it, actually this is also an issue with the castle walls from a "walled" version of a PoT, I wanted to place banners near the gate and everything, but I couldn't and I was upset.

Alley Oop and Maya SaintClaire like this.
  7. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

In this thread from Scottie about the construction set items, placing deco on them came up. He was able to make it work for the construction items and wall dividers. He said this about the crafted castle walls...

Hopefully it's still on the list.

8. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hey there! Yes, it's still on my list of things I'd like to accomplish. I'm only able to do a bit of work for Portalarium one day a week, though, and I'm still in the middle of creating some crossbows for sale, and I haven't had the chance to get to anything else yet... Hopefully in the coming month! ^_^

9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thanks Scottie!

I really want to be able to place things in my castle towers. Like books, tables, glass of wine, mabye a lute. It just seems like a great place to relax. Also I want telescopes on top of my towers too. They just seem like places Id like to hang out, but theyre just so drafty and empty right now.

Also I just realized today that you can break into people's castles by running and jumping very high near a part of the wall that has a ladder, zoom camera out very far and aim down and target ladder, and then pressing F on the ladder when you are at peak jump. Such security! :p I think I am going to drop my front gate and just enter and exit this way now hehehe.

CatherineRose and Mal Hari like this.
  10. dragonswatchz

dragonswatchz Avatar

Honestly if they have to redesign walls and towers from scratch in order to be able to decorate the exterior and interiors, then please bloody do it. What's so hard about that? I'm ok with that instead of adding new deco or new player owned dungeon pieces. I still think players should be more involved in development because it seem like they need lots of help. I saw Ulfheim being worked on for over three months which is ridiculous. Should have taken a week really for one zone. If they let players get in on the design of zones, it could free up their time, plus I think we have a lot of talented players with real skills to help the game.

11. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

I wish for this to be a thing. Good luck and hopefully not apart of the too difficult basket :)

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Scottie, any progress on these? :D

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Mal Hari like this.
  13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

The Castle walls around Island POTs like mine don't accept deco either. Cannot place ON the walkway on top or the walls. Would be super cool if this could be fixed.

14. Tardis

Tardis Avatar

Another vote for being able to place and attach deco to castle walls.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I agree that redesigning the walls so that we can utilize deco would be desired. I think the hard part is simply the upfront dev, testing, and QA time. Not that I imagine it would be a ton, but its time away from other dev.

Im a bit weary of players designing any of the "official" scenes.

Ulfheim taking 3 months for one person / small team is pretty good, IMO. Most games might have about 30 people working on something like that (most likely in a non iterative fashion). SoTA is iteratively developed, so Ulfheim might even become enhanced someday. Either way, managing a project like this is unique, and very much unlike developing investor / corporate backed games. Even still, I doubt a large team would crank it out in 1 week.

Players can craft scenes - dungeons :). They are also being iterated on well. Theyre not "done" yet cuz we cant make effective quests or place mobs/spawn freely where we want, but dungeons are coming along nicely. I expect about a year from now, some player crafted dungeons to be more exciting than many of the "official" scenes :). Once we can have pirate spawn, my quest dungeon is gonna be the best in Longfall!

16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

bump

17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

yup, deco on castle walls would be fantastic, adding to review database, thanks!

18. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

SOTA-64779

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.