Cooking skill tree

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Elnoth, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Cooking is still just 1 skill. Where is the rest of the tree?

If 20+ months after release isn't enough time to fill out the tree then at least put in the couple of hours of coding effort and dump the same skills that you have in the refining tree in there - increased batch size, cooking speed, and efficient cooking.

Spoon, By Tor, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And make it more interesting. Add masterworking to improve lower tier recipes and all recipes to be viable.

Add more use of alcohol to cooking and potion making to make brewing viable.

Elrond and Steevodeevo like this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Chris already said last month, alcohool should have buffs ... 365 days is a long time to wait on something that gives nothing... hope he gets to it soon.

As for the food he said masterworking is a problem because food wont stack anymore ... maybe food with same buffs only should stack ?

By Tor likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh that is sad. There is very little reason to eat or craft lower tier foods or l unless you are raising cooking or too poor to get better tier foods. Being able to alter foods with masterworking or some other way would be a huge plus to the cooking tree. So I hope we can figure a way out.

Numa and By Tor like this.
  5. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Cooking Skill
    Baking Grilling Steaming Frying etc.

I can see a tree fairly easily based on various food types and the way they are cooked.

By Tor and Elrond like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Honestly, I think the outputs of the cooking recipes need to be seriously addressed/balanced before we worry about a cooking skill tree. 95% of all the things you can cook are pretty worthless from a usability perspective. An interesting approach would be to add skill/experience investment that actually made the outputs worthwhile.

Anpu, Bowen Bloodgood and By Tor like this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Perhaps a solution to this problem would be able to make a master worked meal that always has the same extra buffs. It wouldn't be as fun as choosing from random buffs but would allow that specific food to always be stacked.

majoria70 likes this.
  8. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I thought about suggestions to improve food skill tree alot and i always get stuck with the same problems .

1. Food is food ...to keep it real food is not masterworked ...so a different name should be found for food improvement.
    2. For other items we use silver ingots or gold ingots to improve them...what resource would be used to improve food ?
    3. Creating a system that allows players to lvl a skill to improve food via food improvements ..would create tremendous amount of items ...everyone has at least 100 food of different sorts in their chests or just 1 stack now imagine those with different stats ...we probably gonna end up with gazilion food types ( overall ) ....would be a mess...

So i think any skill added to improve food via a skill ..incrementally ..is not viable.

With that being said one way to go about this can be by implementing same system we have with artifacts for food . ( if it was up to me id implement it for crafted gear as well would definetly solve the overproduction problem) .

This would create 4 tiers of food ( so just 4 stacks for the same type of food ) ... Lets take for example Bear surprise combining 4 of each to reach the next tier could give the following bonuses

- uncommon 0.8 combat focus and 6 str
    - common 0.9 combat focus and 7 str
    -rare 1 combat focus and 8 str
    -epic 1.1 combat focus and 9 str

This would also allow improvements for lower tier foods which are pretty much useless as they are .

As for cooking skills that could be added

- less ingredients used when cooking food
    - small chance to get 1 extra food / batch

so on....

majoria70, Anpu, Girlsname and 3 others like this.
  9. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I can still see a "masterwork" - but it's more like baking a cake vs. baking a wedding cake - the only difference might be a more ornate look and buff. Keeping it simple as to the buff would at least help keep the various number of items down (maybe base item and one or two more to pick from when masterworking).

For a resource to improve food... Spices! We already have Cinnamon Bark that's not used much... Garlic... it would not be too hard to add a few more I think. These could be used to improve to a tier system.

Numa, Elrond and By Tor like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Honestly, I think it can be a lot simpler than that.
    Associate certain ingredients with certain effects, just like with materials to armor bonuses.
    Wolf meat adds Dex. Bear meat adds Strength. Make Stag meat add int.
    Other ingredients, vegetables, etc. can add regen components.
    Complex ingredients like pie dough, cooking oil, that require several steps, add higher bonuses.
    Redo recipes to suit. Future recipes should follow same logic.
    First, sort the recipes and outputs!

Then "how much" strength, regen, etc. could get a modifier based on skill levels. Or just increase the durations. Any variance from skill will result in problems with stackability, though, which probably isn't worth the hassle. Honestly, it would make more sense to just have higher skill increase efficiency, how many you can craft at once, the speed at which you do it, or perhaps the ability to save ingredients in the process.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Spices. :)

I usually try not to advocate a complete rework of existing systems but I really think Portalarium shot themselves in the foot with cooking when they went with tiered food and fixed buffs.

I have in the past recommended several ways to change cooking. In fact, I think it's shameless plug time! (it's been too long really!)

The Art of Cooking - Flexible Recipes - This one goes WAY back.. I'm still a fan of this approach btw.
    Food Overhaul! Buff modifiers - Last year. This one addresses the value of lower tiered foods.

12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Great, well thought out idea! I think that would definitely work.

Elrond likes this.
  13. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I disagree with this, food is one of the only things that expires were a new crafter can compete on an equal footing to an XP invested old crafter.

Thus giving them something they can quickly skill to a level (and start pooling xp) to were they can sell to players to get crafting XP that uses the player economy rather than the NPC economy.

I agree 95% of all food is useless, but making skill level affect the stats of food just makes this worse. All the low level crafters food now become useless. Even if the different types are all useful all food created during level up is not. As per MW and ENC.

Unfortunate truth is I think food would have to go through and make sure every food is best at something, even if that something is a niche scenario. I say unfortunately because that is a HUGE amount of work.

I would also have the max food duration be 1 hour at most to increase demand and turn over of resources

PS I know potions give you this too, but unfortunately they exist in loot tables breaking the crafter/resource gather player economy.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    kaeshiva likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Maybe people should be able to craft and masterwork a frying pan (&other cooking implements) with the appropriate bonuses depending on cooking style.

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

useable cooking pots and butchery cleavers ARE craftable, but no mw yet

Numa and Anpu like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well they are considered tools which use engraving kits. Of course those do not effect the quality of a recipe output. The system was never designed to work that way. You either need to rework cooking/foods or you need to rework how food buffs function.

Numa, Anpu, By Tor and 1 other person like this.
  17. Apollo31

Apollo31 Avatar

A long while ago I made tons of pie dough, butter, cooking oil through crafting.....I forgot how PAINFUL it is to make all of the base ingredients even before making the buff foods. You still cant upgrade the time or any of the other parts of the skill tree like other skills have.

I love my foods...there are several I use every time I go out, but it is almost not worth sitting at my computer for 2 hours and just watch Apollo stir the pot just for components.

I'm sure this is low on the totem pole, but please help this.

It's funny I remember a telethon that the team talked about getting the various systems to 80% and it works as designed, but its the last 20% that makes it shine as a fully functioning system. Every system in SOTA seems exactly that. Just good enough to work but not polished to a fully functioning system.

Sorry, I never complain, because I love this game. Please for the love of Jebus, focus on one thing at a time and nail it! Then move to the next module/system.

Apollo

18. Toular

Toular Avatar

And yet oddly enough, some enjoy that you have to make the "basic" ingredients before you make the final product. I needed to refresh my stockpile of wolf surprise and found that I only had 2 pie dough and completely out of cooking oil and had to make more of both before I could make my wolf surprise. I rather enjoyed that little side "quest". And, while making 60 jars of oil I worked on starting some dinner in the "real" world.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.