Leveling Progression for Crafting needs fixing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

And especially sorry to you @Elrond, you were right I was completely misinformed. I shouldn't have acted like I knew what I was talking about when I hadn't actually run numbers.

I stand by your OP. Two curves like that for xp and diminishing returns is completely unneeded and far too punishing. I agree it should be fixed in a way to promote players to push to those high levels! Sorry again.

Edit: I went through and deleted all my posts that contained misinformation.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Numa, Anpu, Elnoth and 3 others like this.
  2. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

It is very uncommon for someone to admit they are wrong in this forum. Respect.

Anpu and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  3. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Far too punishing

4. D'Weasel

D'Weasel Avatar

Anybody know how to get millions of crafting XP and willing to share if E. won't? I've never gotten more than a couple hundred thousand in a day after burning up everything I own.

5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

This entire discussion comes down to one single issue: If you need 160 crafting skill to make top end goods that means 99.999% of the possible player base of a game like this will never get there, and many of them will quit the game the second they realize this. Infinite progression is poison.

6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I would clarify this. I agree, but I only agree if the progression makes higher stats gear or allows the crafter to make the same gear at a significantly cheaper price.

Progression in batch size, crafting speed, or a cost decrease less than 5% I feel would not exclude new crafters. If your profit margin is not more than 5%, why are you even bothering.

It would be good if they significantly slowed down crafting of end result, which is only really the masterwork and enchantment steps. Made the all MW and ENC get selected then take 2+ days real time to be applied to the item, but progression allowed this to be reduced to say 1 day, but that is offline time too. So after a time the progression is in mass production, ie quantity, not quality.

Yes this can be overcome with ALTs, but only by investing crafting xp in those ALTs into the same skills you have already invested in. Which was the problem with the original crafting spec idea, it was overcome with the same amount of XP just split over ALTs. With this if you want to overcome this with an alt you have to invest the xp all over again to still only be able to do what you could do before just twice as quick.

So if you got quality upgraded to say level 130 then it jumped to quantity after that. It would be progression but not in the sense that no-one can compete. Making ALTs with 130 skill is a significant enough investment that only the dedicated crafters would do it. But even these dedicated crafters can only sell more items not better items than the others.

Spung

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Wasn't this supposed to be the whole point to the design of crafting in the game? Even artifacts (however unique) shouldn't be the be-all and end-all as far as equipment is concerned

8. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I'm disappointed that people won't share. If a method is not shareable, then it's probably an exploit.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Won't share what? What are you talking about?

Anpu likes this.
  10. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I never understood why they don't offer a system similar to Writs in ESO. Rewards of crafting supply bundles based on the crafting level would not only make crafting more enjoyable while leveling the items made and sold to the turn in vendor would populate the loot tables. Writs could he limited to a number per day, in the crafting bundles could be some gold, return of some of the crafting resources used and a large xp gain.

Sentinel2, Anpu and Sulaene Moon like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

My guess is that with the current system (namely, the huge amount of materials it takes to craft anything worthwhile) it'd be really hard to balance the contents. Getting a few ingots and a beetle would be a joke to any serious crafter, but getting enough to not be a joke would be exploitable.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Craft one of everything, using every combination of material you can use in it. For instance if it takes boards, use maple, then pine, then crimson pine, etc. If it also takes bindings, swap those in. A maple binding/maple board item gets you the first time crafting bonus. Then you get it again with a pine binding/pine board item. Then again with a maple binding/pine board, and again with a pine binding/maple board.

Repeat as long as you have patience.

13. SaltyPerro

SaltyPerro Avatar

That's not how people are amassing massive xp. They are making thousands of the same item with locked skills. I'm not sure what they are making but I'm assuming it is something with a low entry cost or something they can sell back for cost.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. People always suggest that when you ask about earning crafting XP, but it's a one time thing, and will only get you a few million. It's not what people do who are getting their craft skills into the 150s. But unless some great secret is revealed, I think it does just comes down to having the time/dedication to craft potions or mine for thousands of hours. (Though, I do remember when catapults got you crazy XP for the materials cost, though the crafting time on them was slow as hell.)

Lained likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well there is no secret with "do it until your stomach bleeds". I was just telling the technique for maximum gain with only minimal bleeding.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

They fixed this so you no longer get bonus XP for each variation. That's why no one does this with catapults anymore. @Elrond already answered how to amass crafting XP -- Via specific potions in alchemy, as I recall.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I thought they stopped catapults because the xp went from like 2000 each to 200ish.

Alley Oop likes this.
  18. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

I know, I am again the most players here, with this posting, but, as iI wrote in other postings in the past.

As long as players wont honor the time, other people spend in leveling their crafting skills, everything, catnips is changing in the crafting system, wont help the crafter or balance the economy in this game.

I understand Elrond, that he is, so I guess, the best crafter in this game, and for him it must be painfull to bring up his skills in the crafting tree, BUT, I see it like in Real Life.

A supderduper Master Blacksmith is NOT a superduper Carpenter, too.
    A superduper Master Blacksmith needs tons of year to gain his skill and be teh best BS all over the world.

So ... with the unlimited Skill or GM there is no need for players to sell there Ore or wood,
    because the Carpenter or Brlacksmith makes his own Ore or Wood to raise the ExpPool.

As a player, with no crafting, you can make tons of IGG by killing mobs, and with this IGG you are able to honor the time Crafter spending in raise their skill and they could sell a +15- weapon / armor a.e. for 100k +, so that the crafter can buy their mats from other crafters, which are spezialeced in Mining a.e..

So, when you use this game as a game where you should interact with other players, there is not that problem, but if everyone want to do his own thing,
    there will never be a balance of economy and crafting

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That was my impression. I'm pretty sure it still works, it's just that catapults specifically were nerfed into the ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.