Are less people playing of late?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stabbath, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Another "tier" of crafting materials was discussed at SotaCon this fall. Many unused Items (Aortic Thrombus, Emerald Ash Borer, etc.) are planned to be used to add to current tier (like adding Nickel, Tin and Tungsten to Iron/Copper Ingots) for a higher level material.

Elrond, Anpu, Sean Silverfoot and 2 others like this.
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Great to hear those news @Tazar. I think EP2 is the right time to pique prior player curiosity with novelty items especially those that can benefit the gatherer/crafter chain. R/Boris

3. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

That's all well and good for groups and UT, but the majority of the gameplay is solo and archers are so dang squishy.

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think the issue was more that UT and perma double XP is what caused all the nerf. The devs had a time scale to achieve a certain level of power based on the content and they borked it when they made the change and people started to non stop farm UT to the point where they even started to put limiters in for XP. The problem then is that people were out leveling things way to fast for the devs to keep up with the player base so they had to rework all the math, put in resistances and have been tuning each school tree to accommodate so that the curve falls back into line. This is unfortunate to those that got to that point then felt broken. I understand completely as myself have been nerfed now 4 times mainly because of the math. Some of us are number crunchers who dont level up fast but focused on skill levels to achieve things like impossible to kill or dps that was beyond what the devs though of because we found ways through gear and stats to do things that were crazy.

Living with the nerfs did set many back a little but it took less then a month for people to get back on track and able to do mostly what they could before.... then they introduced different types of resistances for different dragons and the likes. This means that some are very easy for some and hard on others and vice verses for other types. Well that main make some made it needed to be done and makes more sense now. just too bad they didnt do this sooner before we all got use to it.

They also beefed up the mobs and upgraded some of the skills the mobs used and are still adding new versions with different skills which will once again make some mobs harder for some etc. All mmo's balance things over time, but because of the events above the changes had to happen much quicker.

Either way the game will keep getting new things to do and more challenges to keep people progressing as all games do. perhaps taking a break is a good plan that way things maybe in balance by the time you get back as well new places to adventure and maybe one day real loot stuff that makes things worth doing and or more quests that reward progress better. Myself I dont have that luxury as I craft mainly and have a market that is competing with the top 10 so a break means I would fall behind and loose out on profitability of the higher tier people... I do hope that that you find your niche and eventually have that joy of the game one day, cheers.

Elwyn, Garfunkel Humperdinck and Numa like this.
  5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

not all Archers are Squishy... I have seen some that can straight up tank. only some builds that are pure DPS based tend to forgo the added protection for more power.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That is not why the archery nerf made me leave. I was a casual once-a-week solo player. End game content can be done solo, but requires a fairly high level- it seems around 120ish. But since improvement slows down so much at around 100ish, it takes a long time to get into the 120s. So unless you want to play in a group, there is a long, large gap where there is little to do but grind the same content. While you are technically improving, the lack of content appropriate to this range of skill levels means you do not feel any improvement, other than seeing a bunch of numbers go up. This got very boring. Then, I discovered some of the tricks top-level archers were using. For the first time in about a year, I was seeing improvement. I could explore Tartarus, and take on tougher bosses. I was still far from soloing the spider queen or ancient dragons, but I was doing things that were new to me, and having fun, right when I was feeling like giving up.

Then it got nerfed. Whether it was needed or not is a moot argument; the practical result was the game had begun getting fun and interesting again, and then it wasn't. And the thought of another six months in the Rise or UT to get back to that point was depressing and infuriating. If, in the next few months, content is introduced that is hard enough to be interesting, but doable at my level, I may come back and check things out. (I did login for a bit today, as I hadn't yet seen the new Ulfheim. Then I got quickly stomped in the first wave battle.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Mishikal, Xee, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  7. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

^^^------ so much this... I'll log in for a few minutes, lfg : see UT is only thing going on . Maybe dance on the deck of my ship, and then, lack of content I can actually do, I leave. I suppose I could re-invent myself fire/sun... just, why? Archers SHOULD be powerful.

Cordelayne and Xiones like this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Are less people playing of late? By all verifiable metrics yes. Also, more people play games over the holidays, not less, check stats for things like eve, there's a bump around the end of the year start of the new year period. It doesn't buck the overall trend of a game's audience, but it definitely ticks up a bit. More people with time off.

9. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Aye it is used as a lazy excuse often but the other MMO's I play see a spike in players over whatever holiday a country happens to have.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

First part is true. Second part....... I am asking myself which mmos you are playing. All mmos I know bleed players over the xmas holiday.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Everquest Project 1999, Project Gorgon to name two. I'm sure if I logged into Wurm or Aria over the holidays they would feel busier. When you say Christmas holidays do you mean Christmas Day and the days either side of it? Aside from those specific days most people I know sit around twiddling their thumbs during Christmas but then maybe that is a UK thing. I guess something like WOW would dip as it has such a high player base generally in comparison to lesser known games.

Many games also have stuff like XP bonuses and events in place during holiday times which many take advantage of.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

My guild and local friends play more around the holidays because no work, school or military commitment. Equals more time to play.

necronut, arcdevil, Gia2 and 4 others like this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Before there was UT, there was the monkey room. Before there was the monkey room, there were control points. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten a few other ways in which players made millions of XP/hour. I'm pretty sure the first XP caps came before UT even existed, but it's been so long now I can't say for sure. ;)

There was also the 4xploit for a while (Your combat skills leveled 4x faster than was intended). All UT + 2x xp really did is level the playing field for those who didn't get the opportunity early on to advance their character and catch up to those who made use of the previous XP mills.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

WoW, EvE, SWtoR all have player drops durign the xmas season *shrugs*.
    In the end it doesn't really matter anyway.

arcdevil and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What about Chronicles of Elyria? ;)

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

LoL. Well played.

Sean Silverfoot and Cordelayne like this.
  17. City Slicker

City Slicker Avatar

Less people are playing more and more each year. during this time of year. Yes things slow down due to holidays but its getting worse. every year. :)

arcdevil and Sentinel2 like this.
  18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

That's one of the things I find unnerving. Visiting vendor / crafting towns, Ardoris, Owls head (to name a few). I don't see them bustling much. I'm hoping EP2 will help turn that around.

My friends list has a lot of inactive players out there. People who haven't logged in for months or longer. So the holidays aren't the problem. I friend everybody who will accept. And I've never said no to a request.

Something I immediately noticed playing ESO. Just about everywhere I go, there are people! From Vivec city to one of the largest dungeons I've ever played in (just last night). While doing a quest, I ran into several dozen people running in groups doing their thing.

That's what I'd like to see eventually in SOTA. It would be a nice problem to have :D

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  19. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

At least Steam reviews are going up.

arcdevil, Cordelayne and Sentinel2 like this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Shroud has very few steam players, but after looking at several steam games, they all show a similar trend except for legends of aria
    looked at Final Fantasy realm reborn, Warframe, Legends of aria, Shroud. Legends of aria just released an expanstion december 6th and that reflects in a spike on the chart, but before that it also showed the same trend.
    None of these games seem to be losing relative population and any higher rate than the other. Including shroud.

But we do need more people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.