Are less people playing of late?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stabbath, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

Chris, we are mostly all mature adults here, please don't insult our intelligence without some factual data to educate us with. The metrics that are available don't reflect what you said. As we all are looking for glimmers of hope, please share concrete data with us that correctly supports the statement that you made. It would really help if we could know accurate information if these other metrics are not correct. I was under the impression that the data at shroudoftheavatar.net was pulled directly from the api and included steam and non steam data, is it not accurate?

necronut and arcdevil like this.
  2. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

That's pretty much what I have been doing, but then Chris' statement seemingly contradicts those metrics, hence why I was asking him if those metrics were not correct. I don't care if he doesn't disclose the actual numbers, but could he not give a reason why those metrics are not correct? The stats at shroudoftheavatar.net are pulled from the actual API, is there information that they are missing? It could help boost morale if we could see the same uptick in those public metrics that he alluded to, or at least to know how and why that those metrics aren't as bad as they look.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Dantuin, arcdevil, Gia2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Shroudoftheavatar.net shows more accuratly the number of active people playing, but is an estimate that uses players that have opted to publicly share thier stats as a baseline to average out an estimate on the number of anonymous players.

I.E. it takes the average kills of all public players, uses that average to assume all anonymous players make that many kills, then divides the total anonymous kills by that number. <-----its this accurate.

Steam chart shows the ammount of people who own/execute the game from steam.

5. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Eve you can see the stats for and it doesn't drop around Xmas / new year, it picks up. WoW see's an uptick as well, thanks to seasonal quests and assumedly time off. The exception is Christmas day itself.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I'd say for EVE its also unique in that most of that content is team-based and requires alot of prep to do like setting up fleets, coordnating times to do OPs. Time off school/work is ideal for setting up your jobs and coordinating PoS and system takeovers. And if one group gets wind of an enemy's downtime, thats when they tend to be on more to strike while they are weaker.

When i compared, i looked at final fantasy and legends of aria because they both are a similar genre with a fan base in the same age range. I looked at warframe just because i got alto of steam friends that play it.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  7. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Sadly I see fewer and fewer people playing, despite Chris making the game better. I think bad press and Reddit have not helped.

arcdevil likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh? Must be new. Whole wars where kicked off during xmas times a couple of years ago due to coalitions missing members during the xmas season.
    I know it, I kicked off a couple of them myself ^^

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  9. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Not this old chestnut...

Bad press and whatever people say on Reddit are symptoms of SOTA's problems, issues and failings not the cause.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Since you brought it up:
    The negativity isn't helping either. I am pretty far from a white knight but I have half of the people participating in this thread on ignore due to the sheer and mindless amount of negativity. They all of course proclaim to like the game. Of course. But blablayaddayadda everyhing is ****!
    Yeah that's mighty helpful. Oh, no, wait, it isn't......

11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yes that's true enough, it's a bit of a vicious circle situation. Personally I think that Chris's promised upcoming long term plan statement will be vital as possibly the last chance to break that cycle and perhaps make enough people sit up and think proper change and improvement is coming. I genuinely hope it does and await it with interest.

Anpu, Xandra7, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You and me both.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

The leaderboards is also a metric. People may want to pay attention to that. I have. It's not good.

arcdevil likes this.
  14. oplek

oplek Avatar

I tend to think the negativity is earned. They're debugging the game, and adding things to the game, but they aren't improving the game. Bards aren't improving the game. Neither is Lua or Inky.

The other day I was watching one of those "first imperssion" videos. There's some things which are improved, such as the outskirts, but for the most part, I was nodding along. And most of these things are still true three years later. It never would have dawned on me that people were mistaking player housing for NPC/quest housing. A quest had him sent to Ardoris to "go to the castle", and he looked around and saw a ton of castles (player keep lots), and started wasting time trying to find some quest person in these large empty player houses.

These sort of core game issues have been reported, but they don't listen to reviews. They don't eat their own dogfood. Their priorities have been out of whack for a very long time now. And the BIG items sit there, collecting dust.

15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

It’s always someone else’s fault.

16. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Your response is nonsensical. I shared two things not helping; that neither proclaims nor implies they are an exhaustive list.

17. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Are they not helping though? Or is it really Port/Catnip/Shroud not helping, since the bad press and the reddit crowd are results of their decisions and actions?

Cordelayne, Dantuin, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  18. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

CarlNZ that is the same error; that negative forums are not helpful does not mean the posts are not accurate or that many feel the same.

19. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Not really, you're saying it's the match's fault the house burnt down, when really it was the one who struck the match.

20. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

No: I am saying traffic precluding the fire department from retarding the fire did not help save the structure.

arcdevil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.