How many MORE years is loot going to suck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I just created i new thread for this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/can´t-get-any-handles-from-salvaging-torc-dawn-slicer-and-hammers-r73v.160984/

2. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Just as a point of clarification, loot "bundles" are how loot is generated, not specifically the "supply bundles" you're referring to--but, supply bundles are representative as to how the entire system works. On the backend, bundles of loot are defined as a combination of gold, materials, recipes, random items, specific items, etc. Based on how they've been described, there are some generic bundles based on tier, others based on creature type, and others specific to individual creatures. When Chris talks about "loot bundles," he is referring to all loot across the game.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

not long, usually ring arties, they drop pretty often on dragons you usually dont have to kill more than a few before you get one, im not sure ive killed more than 5 in a row without getting anything.

guy above said he had a bad streak of having to kill 12 before he found an artifact.

The one dragon i killed yesterday didnt drop any but it dropped a black dragon head. One of the little minion guys dropped a belt of the ox.

And the only thing i do different than most is i dont stay in an area and grind the same stuff for an hour, but i hear folsk in the rise have good success doing that.

4. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I see these posts all the time.

What I never see is a definition, or even example, of what good loot looks like.

As a player economy game I just have found loot has increased a lot over the last couple of years. Artifacts drop more, higher tier mobs drop more gold. When I started 5k gold in loot per hour normal, and hard to hit 10k regardless of level. Now 10k per hour is easy, at any level, 20k not that hard for a highish character (105 level ish). Higher than takes work.

The increase was so much that artifacts became so common that the ancient essence mechanic was added. Then the combine mechanic to increase the demand from the supply.

In a player economy, giving more loot in anything does not increase the value of the loot. It just gives you more and decreases the value of the individual parts. In the end value is only a function of player effort/time to obtain.

If you want loot to get better. Make more mechanisms in the game to make the loot useful. Thus increasing the demand.

Increasing the supply, ie making stuff drop more for the same player effort/time does not make it better loot. It just devalues the loot.

Increasing the demand, or making the stuff that drops more useful/beneficial to players. That makes the loot valuable.

Regards
    Spung

5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

The exact reason why we cant get great loot its not a hardcore players, there is a real reason - nothing can avoid hardcore grinders from grind.
    There are 2 great steps which will solve this problem, - first loot att in private mode, second - best loot in pvp zones.

6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

So a crazy example to illustrate what I said.

People complain they get too many rusty spoons.
    If you could exchange a rusty spoon for 1 million XP.
    No one would complain they get too many rusty spoons.....

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Gorthyn likes this.
  7. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Not true. IF there is infinite demand for something to the NPC at an acceptable price to the player, ideally not in game gold but some other benefit that player consider worthwhile. Then regardless of amount farmed it is still valuable, as the value of what the NPC will give you in exchange for it and the player price will sit just above the NPC price for player that don't want to grind it themselves.

I played Eve for 10+ years, best MMO economy i have ever seen. The most abundant mineral tritium is available in such quantities that if every active account collected it 24 hours per day, it would still not deplete the respawn of it. It would crash the price but demand would still exist. As in Eve you can insure a ship, if mineral prices drop to a level that you can buy the minerals AND pay the insurance on the ship and that price is less than the insurance payout. Players start constructing and self destructing ships for profit, thus creating an infinite demand for minerals at that price until the price increases that that is not profitable anymore. Now as it takes multiple minerals to create ships this is complex thing as one mineral will become the bottleneck first and spike and then change the equation.

Essentially insurance fraud regulates the minimum return a miner will get on the minerals they mine. It will however just inflate the in game currency if the return is in game gold. Which is why i suggested it better to be something that is not igg.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

As someone else mentioned a loot cap would be good. If the devs are trying to keep the amount of an item entering the world every day to a certain level, then you need to lower the amount that people who no life the game can access in order to raise the drop rate for others.

And as some one else mentioned, Bind on Equip would be good too. You can still trade items that you want to, but if you use it, you're stuck with it, which at least removes that item from the pool when you eventually upgrade off that item.

9. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Could you define, a lot of time. Three Months alone seems like quite a bit but have any idea what that is in estimated hours? Since a lot of people can only play a few hours per night or day, just wondering how that would play out in days and months .for them?

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nope. All I can say is that I was on a mission to get a wyvern head and most of my play-time was spent in Ulfheim.

Anpu likes this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I like the junk I the loot table. I just don't like getting so friggin' much of it.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Its not that loot sucks, it's that most casual players suck at figuring out the value of the items they collected. If good loot is determined by being able to find x amount of gold worth of items during a certain amount of time, then there are plenty of viable areas to do that well before a player hits level 100. The problem is instead of trying to earn gold players will try to find a specific rare drop and when they don't get it, they don't consider all the other items they find instead. Psychologically it seems like you've gotten bad loot, but 2 beetle carapace for example are worth 3-4k gold. Use devilcults mod and do a run for 1 hour in a spot you know well. Then add up the gold value of everything you find and you might be surprised how much you are actually making. In between killing things make sure to harvest some trees, cotton, ore etc and you should make plenty of gold.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't mind it at all. I keep what I need and sell the rest. I've literally made millions doing that.

Anpu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  15. eli

eli Avatar

I'm guessing the loot changes will be more "some numbers were adjusted" and less "the lottery roulette wheel was replaced with a compelling reward structure"

In behavioral science, random feedback for performance is used to decondition a response. Random item types dropping from random bags dropped at a random rate is a very poor way to encourage a repeated action (continuing to play)

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What's a "compelling reward structure"? More importantly, what's a "compelling reward structure" that can't be abused and gamed?

17. eli

eli Avatar

Literally anything that feels like progress and not like rolling dice

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oh please...
    What world are u living in ?

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What part of my statement do you feel is untrue? Here's a screenshot of my current gold amount:

[​IMG]

That's just what I currently have. I've had much more in the past (I've had some recent large purchases) and all of it has been from loot. I also have never sold a single item to another player.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. City Slicker

City Slicker Avatar

no way dude... thats photoshoped. theres no way u have that much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.