Overbilled after buying add-on CotO's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winterweaver, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

I have tried to write to Portalarium support, but got no reaction, response or correction of an overbilling - so I have to try the forum and hope to get a response here:

Dec. 21st I bought CotO's accordingly to the announced discount in-game and/or add-on store:

1 x 10,750 = 80 $
    1 x 10,750 = 80 $
    1 x 6,300 = 48 $

Total 208 $

Both my add-on account bill and the announced amount is total 208 $ - but after getting three confirmation emails the billing is the FULL amount:
    100 $ + 100 $ + 60 $ = 260 $

... I wrote portalarium support instantly asking about the deviation, and to point towards the overbilling - but I got no response.

Today after checking my bank account, I am actually billed the full amount of 260 $ - and NOT the announced offer! Thus forcing my bank account into negative.

I sincerely and politely hope the game support team can be contacted this way, so the error can be corrected.

I am writing a review that will be posted on Trustpilot - but will put it on hold, until I get a response.

In all regards without flaming.
    Winterweaver

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Montaigne likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'll investigate and yes, I'm a week behind on CS right now due largely to the skeleton staff over the holidays.

3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I have created a critical Issue#66111 for this. and have pinged internally as well to ensure there is visibility.

4. Chris

Wow am I confused now! You are correct. You were charged full price somehow. Someone bought less than an hour after you and another an hour before you and both got the sale price but you got full price. I'll refund you the difference now and investigate. My best guess is there is a list of countries that the sale applies to that is supposed to include all countries and some how your country got left off the list. Refunding now!

5. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

Thank you both kindly. So far a superb support. I started in UO half a year after its launch, so I would do whatever it took to stay in SotA, since it has been exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you for fast response!

6. Chris

Refunded the difference and a bit more and I'll continue investigations with our web guy once people are back from the holidays.

7. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

Actually the best support I've had in years. Deeply professional. I have covered the loss so far in my bank account, so there's no risk of my credit card being confiscated.

I'll check my bank account later, because refunds normally takes a few days.

It is truly reassuring and comforting that I could use the forum this way to correct the error and get so fast a response.

I have until today considered Blizzards customer service flawless and forthcoming 5 stars out of 5. You'll get 6 - no less.

I will write a review on trustpilot and rate it 5 stars. :)

Again ... great many thanks from a grateful member of SotA.

Elgarion, Margaritte, Dhanas and 13 others like this.
  8. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

I just initialized SotA on Trustpilot, and wrote this review:

Quote:

"The customer service in the MMORPG game Shroud of the Avatar just delivered the best service I have ever (!) experienced.

Dec. 21st I bought three times in-game currency based on their announced holiday discount.

I was, though, billed the full amount without the discount. I wrote their support, but since they lacked the necessary amount of staff members during holidays, nothing happened.

Today I tried contacting them on their forum and then things were set in flawless motion.

They corrected the error ... refunded, and in addition - they refunded a bit more.

A plausible explanation was that Denmark was not flagged as receiver of discounts, not quite reassuring if I another time purchase in their online shop - but nevertheless an explanation I trust.

The issue was solved in less than half an hour!

Because I could address them in the forum about something not entirely play- or game technical related, and because the issue was so fast and respectful resolved the support deserves no less than 5 stars.

I can - in all aspects - recommend Shroud of the Avatar as a forthcoming and newcomer player friendly game.

I'll add a sixth star because of their extra refund. Many companies could learn from their handling of such an issue.

My respect for the way the case was handled."

9. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I couldn't help notice that it was done 2 hours before traditional U.S. banker's hours (start of work -- 8am, their first response was 6am) and had responses from two individuals including the company CEO... Between Christmas and New Year's Day on the Holiday Schedule. I'm sure much of lack of sleep on their part has to do with concern for non-domestic players.

Normally I wouldn't comment like this, but this thread made me proud of them.

Kudos to @Winterweaver, @Ravalox and @Chris, and of course, Happy Holidays. :)

10. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

You are right, ouch ... such a service is more than a textbook service. Truly commendable. Thanks for all the positive responses.

11. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Chris and team work far harder than any mmo devs I have ever seen!

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm glad they got it resolved, but this was after failed attempts at contacting support. It wasn't until this person started making a public fuss about it, that suddenly it got priority.

See, that there is how you train your customers to complain on forums instead of the support system.

13. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

True and of course I have noticed. Though I am still giving them credit because I have worked together with a game company and liking it or not they do have a skeleton crew (funny word considering some game mobs, and game context) - during holidays, and I respect that.

That is why I circumvented the normal forum issues and used whatever means I could, which brought the issue up for public reading.

The issue WAS resolved faster than I expected, mailwise / forumwise or not, so I still give them credit for fast action.

I covered the deficit on my bank account, so no future harm was done.

The question still remains though; will they add Denmark to their discount list or do I have to write them every time if I purchase in the future?

And besides - I can't be 'trained'. I have a will of my own.

14. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

@Chris the exact same thing just happened to me, Could you please look into it for me also?

The checkout and Paypal gives me correct price, but more is taken from the account.

Winterweaver likes this.
  15. Chris

Investigating and messaged our web guy. 99% certain this left over cruft from our EU partner stuff.

16. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Thank you.

17. Chris

@Arradin This has been refunded. I just investigated further and it is showing correctly on our pledge table but wrong in Paypal/Stripe. Sorry about that. :/

18. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

Reproduction of faulty over-billings:

I may have found out where the issue occurs by making a 'ghost' purchase. Reproduction:

1. Account login website https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385
    2. Adding amount to basket of [1 x 10,750] https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085
    3. Clicking [Buy Item Selection]
    4. Checkout https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69551 Click [Next]
    5. Checkout 'Payment Methods' https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69551
    'Adding/highlighting Credit Card' - Click [Next]
    6. Checkout 'Shipping address'/'Payment Information' https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69551
    (Enter personal information / credit card information. Click [Next]
    7. Checkout 'Summary' https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69551

8. This page sets the actual billing to 100$ and does not include/calculate the 20% discount!
    9. On clicking [Accept Terms and Confirm Purchase] ... (probably) an auto email is sent which informs of the
    wrong amount being billed (which is 100$ and not 80$).

(The email was, what made me initiate the ticket to support (at first) and secondly made me make this thread.

10. Billing information / 'Summary':

Username:
    Item(s): 1 x 10750 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians (digital)
    Price: $100.00 (incl. $20.00 sales tax)

AND, if this page controls both the 'email billing information' as well as controls the amount being withdrawn from my bank account (via the credit card) ... then this page should be re-coded so it includes or calculates any discount/percentage, because

The monthly reward recurring amount being billed, has the same fault: >>> I am billed 11.25$ instead of 9$.

I hope this leads to accurate purchases and billings.

Winterweaver.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Ok, I'm now confused. This phenomenon is also affecting monthly subscription billing? The initially identified issue sounded like an unapplied discount. But this subscription issue sounds like something else?

20. Winterweaver

Winterweaver Avatar

@Lord Aventine

Yes, you're right. The issue also affects my monthly reward subscription.

The explanation I got so far from CEO is ... that my country (Denmark) isn't on a list of countries flagged as being included in offers with a discount - so all bills/invoice/purchases are withdrawn from my bank account (via my credit card) based on the original amount - thus without the discount being deducted.

I went through all my purchases and subscriptions and discovered that the over-billing occurred as well in my subscription.

It does make things complicated. Chris has been very helpful in refunding my one time purchases - one by one, but to my knowledge the subscription is a matter of entirely different nature.

If they can add my country to the 'whitelist' of countries getting discounts - the issues should be resolved.

If not ... either I contact customer service each and every month to make them refund all that exceeds 9$, or cancel my monthly subscription.

But so far I have to wait until the web guy gets back after first week in january. Then I know how the matter will be taken care of.

John Markus and Lord Aventine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.