Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes- Part 3

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern, amidst napping Lurkers, well except for Rentier...)--"Waz that the zong you were zinging when you thought I was azleep?" Frida aka Kozue asked me with her odd accent (due to keeping her tongue away from her razor sharp pointed teeth while speaking).
    --"Perhaps you might have heard it, I rarely sing it, unless to a baby that needs to be lulled to sleep."
    --"I am not...oh never mind...I didn't underztand at the time az I went right to zleep...."
    --I just smiled...
    --"....and even though the name of Frida is not in the zong, it IZ about her, and him, izn't it?"
    --"What makes you think that?"
    --"The Centaur lady mentioned meeting him."
    --Memories came to me then, from dusty files within my personal archives....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Time Lord, Fireangel, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

looks up out of the shadows in bewilderment
    and thinks "dusty memories are best shared to loose their dust"
    shrinks back to lurking in the shadows

Time Lord, Fireangel and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(A continuation of a memory in the Purple Unicorn)--The Shepherd's pie was unusually good. I especially liked the cheese sprinkled on top of the mashed potatos. "Um say, Hamster, where might I find...."
    --"Over there," Hamster said, busily (and noisily) crunching his coal and waving his hand to the side of the room. I looked and saw two doors, one gnome sized and one much larger that a person, my size, would require.
    --"Excuse me," I said as I sauntered over to the indicated door, which was marked by a symbol that in my own culture would have been rather risque, if not outrageous, but which indicated clearly this door was for males. I made it a point in my mind NOT to go over and look at the door to the "ladies room" .

--As I returned, wiping my hands still wet from washing (there was some kind of small dragon there to dry hands, but I didn't trust it) I noticed a Red Hat Gnome hopping up onto our table. From out of nowhere two Blue Hat Gnomes appeared in front of BlueBell, who I remembered was royalty actually,despite being apprenticed to Hamster. I was quite close to the table now and saw the new comer bow deeply and doff his peaked Red Hat. "Your Highness," he said while still bowing, "Pray let the good Mage, Hamster introduce me."
    --I sat down and observed this Red Hat Gnome who positioned himself along the straight edge of the semi-circular table, as far from the Princess as he could get. He held his bowing position as Hamster said. "Princess BlueBell, may I introduce the most dangerous person on the Isle of Feinantz..... (the guards took a fighting stance, their blue hats, almost black, fitted tight to their heads, not standing tall like most Gnomes. The maces they held, I noted, were fashioned of Adamantite,, the only mineral hard enough to crack a Gnome's skull.)....that is to say, an honest man. He goes by many names but I know him as RockSide."
    --"Honesty is an expensive habit," said RockSide, still bowing.
    --"Few deign to spend such coin these days, Honest RockSide," princess BlueBell said and added. "Rise and make yourself a seat"
    --Her guards however maintained their position between the princess and the Red Hat, who was a giant among Gnomes, a full 14" high. He caused a rock chair to fashion itself from the stone table and sat down with his hat still in his hand.
    --"Have we met before?" I asked
    --"Hamster knows me but I think he does not know it was my party that suffered from the chaos magic he applied to a bowling ball not too long ago....."
    (back in the Fire Lotus Tavern, where I am telling this story of the past) --"They are all azleep" Frida remarked.

--"I'm not!" Rentier protested.
    ---"except Rentier," Frida added. "And you didn't even zing the lullaby."

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Time Lord, Fireangel, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

*thinkz "zleeping is for the wicked" and vanishes into the shadows of a corner*

Time Lord, Bodhbh Dearg and Mingo like this.
  5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

Time Lord and Rentier like this.
  7. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

Me hears "Lurkers" and asks in a sleepy, drunk'n sounding voice, beginning to rise out of the shadows

"Who'z talking 'bout my Profezzion?"

falls back into the shadows of the corner, failing to rise completely

Time Lord, Bodhbh Dearg and Mingo like this.
  8. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern-Favoured napping spot for Lurkers)--While my apprentice sat by the fire reading log after log to find out about RockSide and the battle of the tunnels, I observed the drowsy Rentier doze back off. The other Lurkers it seems were out of it.
    --"It's your own fault," Gerta said as she sat down, bringing a pot of green tea and two cups. "You are inconsistent; here today, not here tomorrow."
    --"I am relieved," I responded. "I feared you would say I bored them into a state of somnolence."
    --"That too," Gerta nodded taking a sip of her tea. I joined her, although green tea is something of an acquired taste that I have not yet acquired enough to really enjoy.
    --"No milk or sugar I see," observed Gerta, who was once Keeada-chan, Pilot of the giant sea turtle Minogame. "We'll make an oriental of you yet."
    --"With a long white beard and long white hair?" I said with raised eyebrow. "I'd be arrested on the spot, especially if I wore my black cape."
    --"Not if you stayed away from schools."
    --I was wise enough not to comment on how I would stick out in a land where everyone had straight black hair, dark eyes, and tended to wear uniforms. Those from group oriented cultures are fiercely defensive about their individuality...however imaginary that individuality might be.
    --"Maybe I could teach at a school of magic...." I mused.
    --"You can't even do card tricks!" Gerta scoffed. "Besides if you leave this realm you will find magic doesn't work."
    --"Oh, by the way, you said you went back to just after I returned from the Isle of Feinantz...."
    --"Ah yes, I got to know Hamster and BlueBell quite well after you took off and disappeared. I could tell you tales...."
    --I groaned.

Time Lord, Fireangel and Rentier like this.
  9. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern, favorite napping site of Lurkers)--"....but tell me about singing your copyrighted but unpublished lullaby," Gerta said pouring more tea for us both.
    --"Ah," I said in a reminiscing tone as I remembered the Purple Unicorn Restaurant and Tavern. "RockSide finished telling his side of the Battle of the Tunnels, and he and Hamster raised some kind of stone gaming table off to the side of our large stone table and began some kind of gambling game involving small cards and tiny coins. I noticed RockSide kept his red hat off and stayed far away from the two guards who still stood fiercely between him and the Princess."
    --"Good Sir Bard," a slim purple haired centaur/unicorn lass said as she trotted up to me. "Pray come now onto the stage, and bring thy lute."
    --At the side of the stage....

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--"No quote marks?"
    --"I'm narrating a past event, except for this sentence..."
    (Purple Unicorn)--At the side of the stage I was introduced to my guide and her sister, her twin sister it turned out. They were not as large as the Matron of the establishment, seemingly much younger. Each wore a form fitting stretchy....apron I guess as they had no back...which was clasped at the back of their neck and ...waist...well the bottom of their humanoid torso. The lower part of the apron/dress extended down to just above their hooves, and seemed to have a portion of a hoop at the bottom, causing the hem to flare about in front of their legs.
    --One sister had Green hooves on the right side, and green fingernail polish on her right hand. On the other side the color was Light Blue. "I am GreenTwin," she said by way of introduction and indeed her dress/apron was a light green. "My twin sister is AzureTwin."
    --I noticed they actually spoke my language, eschewing the need for a magic translation spell. "We have sung your lullaby many times to our foals," AzureTwin said with a smile, her face only a foot higher than mine, and other parts of her at eye level which was a bit distraacting due to the gauziness of the fabric....ahem...anywho... "You have foals?" I said in wonderment.
    --"One each," answered GreenTwin. "Grandmother taught us your lullaby and sometimes we both sing, using that little accompanying part you wrote for the chorus."
    --"It has a most haunting, pleasantly discordant sound when sung with both parts," AzureTwin added.
    --"I have never heard two ladies sing my song," I smiled wistfully.
    --"then we are honored, come now, Grandmother is about to introduce us.
    --The small orchestra which provided pleasant background music finished its song and the great, purple haired Matron of the Purple Unicorn Restaurant and Tavern strode into the spotlight.

Time Lord, Fireangel and Rentier like this.
  10. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the Purple Unicorn)--Anwyn was larger than any other centaur/unicorn in the place. If you think of horses, you realize there are different kinds, ranging from ponies to quarter horses, and the large draft horses like Belgians and Clydesdales. Anwyn seemed to have some Clydesdale in her lineage. Her purple hair was streaked with white, though she seemed in excellent physical condition that belied any hint of age. She was the only one I noticed with six fingers on each hand, and whose name did not match the white color fingernail and hoof polish she displayed.
    --The spotlight lit up the fancy white dress/apron she wore, which was more opaque and ruffly than any garment worn by the others. I wonder now that there were no male centaur/unicorns in this establishment, and now that I think on it, I do not remember the physical appearance of any of the patrons (except Tatiana and Oberon, whom I met)....I can't say if they were human, humanoid.....I can't remember anything about them at all.
    --I am always suspicious of translation spells, so I will try to identify things in her speech that I believe were...incorrect or odd by (<-these things->).
    --Her voice carried easily throughout the large room. There was a curved backdrop that also extended slight overhead which seemingly reflected, and perhaps amplified, sounds on the stage. "Welcome guests!" she called, raising her arms and swishing her tail. "Tonight we have a rare (treat)! Many of you (patrons) have heard me sing a lullaby "Lament of the Elf King(c)" as part of a trilogy concerning SilverBeard, a king of that part of the (Metaverse) known as (Old Earth). I was there for many years, I actually knew him for a while. One of his (companions) is here with us tonight, step forward please dear bard, (Ladies and Gentlemen) may I present Mingo TheBard, author of the lullaby!"

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  11. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Oh my, oh dear, as I yawn from deep sleep. I stared at her words "...quarter horse". How can that be? Whoever heard of just a quarter of a horse? Is the quarter a head? Is a quarter just the tail? Oh my. I try to stand up and realize I am half off and half on the the 2 chairs that were pushed together so I could lie down to sleep. I sat straight up and stretched my arms into the air and looked around through my blurry eyes. Oh my I am so glad Anwyn is speaking of her linage and not that there is a real quarter of a horse!!!

Me thinks it best to return to sleep.

Time Lord, Fireangel, Mingo and 2 others like this.
  12. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern, favorite napping site of Lurkers)
    "the door slides open"..... "I found these two lurking just outside of the Tavern listening intently. They belong to the thieves guild called (EA)!" Ebon Viper slides the daggers from their lungs wiping them off on their cloaks and sliding them back into the hidden sheaths within his leather armor. "Been a long time friends!" as he nods towards Rentier. Timelord, Catherine Rose, Cordelayne, Lily Byrd, Bodhbh Dearg and Fire Angel.

Looking at the Barkeep he waves for two shots of some dark liquor, (it really doesn't matter what kind, as long as the effects are the same!) Bowing so gentlemanly like to the ladies in the bar as he takes a seat at the corner of the bar facing the entrance door and the wall to his back. (is there really any other way to sit when in his profession?) "its been awhile my friends! I have missed you all! Turning to the barkeep and ordering a shot of whatever for all! "do not worry about the price this should cover it!" dropping a bag of gold on the bar.

Time Lord, Fireangel, Mingo and 3 others like this.
  13. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

gives a recognising nod out of the shadows and a rised eyebrow about the bag - thinking "well lurkers must have a good payroll"
    shrinks back into the shadow, so only the seeing eye can catch her

Time Lord, Fireangel, Mingo and 3 others like this.
  14. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--"Oh, Mazter!" Frida/Kozue said perkily as she returned to the table after reading the logs. "Peoplezez have awoken now!"
    --"Ahhh, then I shall tell more of the story...."
    (Purple Unicorn) --I strode into the center of the stage and made a theatrical bow. Then I continued on and held out my arm towards the twins. It seemed the audience was acquainted with the twins and there was nice applause. The accompaniment to the lullaby was quite simple, mostly D minor, G minor and A minor chords. I picked out a bit of the tune and heard the twins humming to get the pitch right. Then with a nod.....
    (Fire Lotus Tavern) --"up the chimney you rose?" butted in my mischievous apprentice.
    --"That's only a part time job," I groused.
    --"I've never eaten grouse," a mysterious voice said from the shadows, bringing a wry grin to the faces of many patrons who seemed to know this newcomer.
    --"Rye, now, that does make me grin...." said the newcomer, who apparently could read.
    (back in the Purple Unicorn) ---I nodded and AzureTwin hummed the tune to the refrain, with the "la la la" commonly used when singing lullabies. After that GreenTwin sang the first verse. I could picture a mother singing to a small child. If a human mother, perhaps in a rocking chair. Gentle and soft, though with enough volume to reach the back of the room, GreenTwin sang. Children would not notice the words, but the five verses follow five seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring again. The hushed crowed hung on every word.
    --The chorus contained two parts, but I had never actually heard two females sing it together. The parts were a bit discordant, minor key and with the words offset. It was a haunting, beautiful thing to hear. Fortunately my duties were slim, only a chord here and there....for I could picture Frida the Night Elf, and SilverBeard my old comrade....
    --(Author's note again....if you send me an email I will send you for your personal use, a .pdf file with the copyrighted song, that I decline to post here)
    --The song ended. People sat stunned after such a beautiful performance, then applause broke out and I think many a tear was wiped from many an eye. The twins curtsied....sort of ...with their front legs and human torsos, then held their arms out pointing to me. I bowed again as Anwyn came up to me.
    --Towering over me, the Matron of the Purple Unicorn put her large hands on either side of my face and ...leaned... over to kiss me. Then she wrapped her arms around me, one over a shoulder and the other under the opposite arm and hugged me. She may not have realized it but she lifted me off the floor actually. "He was my friend, too!" she said in a slightly choked voice.
    --Setting me down she leaned over....actually I think the centaur unicorn's natural position has their human torso leaning at an angle, not straight up and down, which would be "leaning back" for them. Her face at the level of mine she asked me, "Sing the song about me, if you would."
    --I blinked, "What song is that Your Highness?"
    --Touching her short horn to my head she said, "you know it, here....I will help you remember..."
    --"That was you?" I said wide-eyed and before my eyes she changed to jet black, with jet black curls and seemed to become...smaller. "very well then."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(On the Isle of Feinantz-home of the Red Hat and the Blue Hat Gnomes)--We stood outside the great wooden doorway in the cliff face. What had transpired after I sang for Anwyn....I could not remember. Hamster stood with me, but Lyra and Princess BlueBell had walked toward the sea and stood at the edge of the water, where the small waves lapped against the frost-rimed shore.
    --"Frost?" I asked befuddled. "In summer?"
    --Befuddled failed to answer but Hamster said in a condescending tone, "Time passes faster here than in Tir Na nOg. Usually humans are not allowed anywhere there, but Anwyn particularly wanted to meet you. Perhaps you can go back some day. But it is Winter now my friend."
    --Out of curiosity I turned and opened the great wooden door to reveal.....solid stone. "Princess BlueBell, as royalty in a magic race, can form the portal." said Hamster. "I cannot. We are allowed access because we are beings of magic, like the purple unicorn centaurs. I suspect your memory was partially erased as we left and Anwyn touched your head with her horn. I hope you have some happy memories left."
    --"Yess....I do. I remember Tatania, Oberon, and the floating lady.....but no other patrons."
    --"Just as well.. Some of them would give you nightmares just looking on them. Come, I know you and Lyra feel the cold. Let us go."

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"Ah, yes, Tir na nÓg, I remember it well... The silver towers and rolling hills" I muse out loud, downing my tumbler of peated whiskey, and then to the waitress "Tabhair dom uisce beatha eile!"

Cordelayne, Time Lord, Aeryk and 4 others like this.
  18. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fires Lotus Tavern)--"How do you do it all in one night, Mazter?" Frida asked.
    --"He cheats," Gerta said just before taking a sip of green tea.
    --"You of all people....have no cause to criticize!" I said with a raised eyebrow.
    --"Tell your eyebrow to keep silent," Gerta huffed. "I didn't make your Tardus, TimeLord did."
    --"It's not a true Tardus," said the voice of TimeLord, who, although he is not seen anymore, is still with the story in spirit. "It only lets him reset six hours into the past."

--"Are you a Time Lord alzo?" Frida asked.
    --"Not me no, I just use the sleigh."
    --"Zo, how long doez it take?"
    --"Two years....two years of my personal timeline."
    --"Ah," Frida nodded in understanding. "Zo you age three yearz every year? No wonder you look zo old."
    --Gerta had taken a moment to fetch something from the kitchen. Placing a tray and a pitcher on the table she asked, "Cookies and milk anyone?"

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  19. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"May I ask something?" I interjected cheekily "What is a Tardus? Are they similar to a T.A.R.D.I.S.?"
    Before Mingo could respond, Cheekily protested about having been interjected so rudely...

20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

sheesh....I'm glad TimeLord himself is not here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.