Manually multi boxing 5 characters in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dread Pirate, Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I dont assume the worst but if i were confronted to that situation where i see a guy repeatidly do the same thing in a weird way within a group of people that all seem to play the same way, thats what id tend to think yes. But griefing and killing bah i wouldnt bother. But some people just do that to clear the group from multiplayer and take the place, so i wouldnt take it personal also. Id just go private with my party.

2. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Avatar

I agree poorly created game mechanics makes this a bigger issue. Upper Tears and places like that encourage people to figure out ways to game the systems.

John Markus likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

UT isnt an example of this. Making areas difficult enough that a party is encouraged is group content.

Smelting is an example of what you’re talking about.

4. CICI

CICI Avatar

You can easily just solo everything though :) if you have the skills/gear and know what your doing!

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think where the confusion is coming in is with the phrase "executing runes with window not in foreground" - at first I thought you meant this to mean actually clicking skill buttons which makes sense, there's no scenario in which that should be allowed without focusing the window because you'd have to use a program to do it which = cheating, but it seems autoattack is also covered under this which clarifies things somewhat. It sounds like the problem is not that he's tabbing between windows (or scrolling over windows) and clicking skills, but rather, that once the characters have locked a target, they continue to fire off shots until their target is dead and each 'shot' that they fire is counting as a 'rune execution'.

While the UT example isn't really that big a deal (as the things would die pretty quickly, and you don't auto acquire a target, so you'd have to at least foreground-input for targetting), I can certainly think of examples (ie, boss fights) where having a firing squad of alts set up facing the right direction. I imagine you'd also want to look at combat pets as well, since you could I assume send them in to the fray as well and they will also continue to fight until their target (or they) are dead.

I found this thread from twitter and mainly jumped in because of the crafting elements - having one character refine at a table, which starts a timer in which no input is required until it is time to restart that timer - while another character is off doing something more interesting, is pretty much standard practice due to the hours (and hours, and hours...) refining takes. It sounds like this may be apples and oranges, though. At least, I hope so.

Lord Aventine likes this.
  6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

An area where creatures/ boses dont have aoe attacks is solo content . Group content is when all players in a party are engaged at almost same level.... not when 5 hide behind a tree and go afk to get the xp and one player kills all..least its how i see it.UT is the perfect example of this so called group content for solo players.

MrBlight and CICI like this.
  7. eli

eli Avatar

Nice!

I used to do 5 accounts as well.

I highly recommend: stinkyboard.com

4 extra actions for each foot. I use them for cycling between active windows (e.g. alt+tab) for keyboard input and cycling targets on one foot, and repetitive actions like healing on the other.

I also used 2 computers and 2 keyboards instead of using a mouse at all... But I'm an emacs kinda guy ;)

The most fun I had was taking down a dragon with a level 60-80 party. It took me about 6 hours, dozens of wipes, and a little luck, but it was so much fun keeping on top of everything.

@dread2019 have you tried to MB PvP?

I used to bring a healer and a mage duo and barely keep pace with extensive use of blink. I only won a fair 2v2 on a couple of occasions, but the challenge was so much fun, well worth the ransoms.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  8. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Avatar

Ut is a perfect example of a area where people will try to game the system. I’ve seen a group doing ut where they were spamming multi attack over and over(the group being a multi boxer they all moved the same and did the same attacks at the same timeish) , I’ve also seen people afk behind a rock where one person is killing everything. I can’t think of a zone ever that encourages ways to cheat than this one.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

UT does have AoE Mobs. Your gonna have people trying and succeeding in soloing the group stuff cuz thats what they want to do. And the power creep from artifact and recent crafting changes effectivly makes group content weaker.

Thats why chris mention making UT harder. Again.

10. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Long story short, anything that causes game to change some statistics is defined as "Runes" (I suppose they repurposed the glyph system to handle everything)

Using potions will execute consumable runes, using defensive skills will execute defensive runes, magic and weapon attacks does the similar.
    When auto-attack is used, game will periodically execute the combat runes that will cause the game state to change.
    (The enemies also use runes to attack, so disabling all runes while in background will mean players will become invicible).

Dread Pirate likes this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Elrond wins. UT is ridiculous even without the multibox bit. It was when I officially stopped even trying to adventure, because the level of lame is so high that it spewed out upon everything else and lamed the whole system.

Dirty Deeds and John Markus like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I thought you were talking about tedious game mechanics. Smelting is tedious but combat isnt.

Thing like UT and the spider queen, are obvious to me were made with group content in mind. Power creep and OP bugged skills (death shield) and whatever combo of gear/skills are unbalanced at the time contribute to how easy it is to solo group content.

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thx. We have much to gain from this type of features... do the right thing at the right time and nothing will happen to you....will certainly make fighting more interesting...and definetly encourage players to party alot more...rather then multibox.

14. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Avatar

cant add anything to this!

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sounds simple to me, allow multibox, no scripts/macros, and remove autoattack for good. Autoattack isn't NEEDED.

MrBlight likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Kind of a horrible argument. Having a bot on autoattack is just like having one you swap to to cast an occasional DoT. You are not getting any benefit of the skills on that character, just the small dps of melee.

If you don't like it, remove autoattack. Make it a Tactics glyph that executes a series of melee attacks with small delays between them. Same with instruments using the new Barding skills. Now everyone has to hit buttons every few seconds.

I can't imagine anyone using autoattack currently will enjoy that change, but if you think it's best for the game just do it.

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Removing auto attack would fundamentally change the system.

The system appears to have peaked for the time being, with small tweaks being the only change.

Would changing auto attack fundamentally improve (or open the door for improvements?) or worsen the experience of combat?

I don't know, but these sorts of questions are worth asking, and testing. Perhaps remove it on QA temporarily and get some feedback?

StarLord likes this.
  18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I dont think removing autoattack would solve the current situation . Youll still be able to login 3,4,5 acc activate skills on them ( like having them all shoot fire arows at targets ). What we need are features that force players who multibox to execute tasks on all accounts at same time ... or make playing solo just as rewarding or more then multiboxing .

For fighting could be the move dot with the penalty dmg, for gathering could be minigames ( that expire after 5 sec but if you solve them you gather just as much with 1 acc then with 5 or 10 ), for crafting can be highly reduced craft time 5 mins max to refine 10k ore not 5 hours.

19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

@Elrond Trust me, I've been trying to expand what creatures do. See the new Tartarus stuff for examples. Again, it is a bandaid I need to pull off but I worry about changing existing content dramatically, especially UT. Needs to happen though as it is pretty much the one road block to removing attenuation for good.

20. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I understand ..i dont fight much so can comment only based on what ive seen in the video presented ...

PS

I forgot to add... Whatever way you decide to fix this ...Dont use the hammer ..make it a surgical strike :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Anpu, Montaigne and John Markus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.