Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes- Part 3

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"Ho ho ho ho!" I said jokingly, suppressing an involuntary giggle....

2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

musing in the shadows about a red clothed whitebearded male flying on a sleigh and calling "ho ho ho"

3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--"I like cookies and milk," I said reaching for the platter.
    --"probably a requirement of the job..." Bov grinned. "But if you spend two years each year doing it, isn't THIS really your part time job?"
    --"Hmmmff," I pondered as I crunched the nice chocolate chip cookie of the crunchy variety.
    --"Now I know why Mazter is so fat."
    --"Please forgive my neice," Gerta said with a disapproving glance to her neice. "Some cultural insults aren't so insulting in the culture of her upbringing."
    --Frida/Kozue stuck her tongue out at her aunt.
    --"Careful apprentice," I warned. "You'll bite your tongue off."
    --"It alwayz growz back..."

4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

thinks "nice feat ..."

5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady peered in at the antics that occurred while she was away. "The holidays are busy in the earthly realm with family and friends during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season leading up to the New Year." Fireangel winked to the others.

She noticed some quotes assigned to her and leaned to whisper in Mingo's ear, "I am a fan of science fiction, but I had not heard of Robert Aspirin I confess."

"I hope the patrons here will forgive me as I catch up on the tale in some measure, and forgive me if not all of it recommends my sustained attention." The lady inclined her head in particular to Mingo. "Still, I consider the teller worth listening too, even as an indulgence." She patted Mingo's arm affectionately. "You are in great pain lately and I continue to pray for you. Perhaps these vibrant and imaginative tales help distract you. For my part, I support you for the telling alone."

Fireangel raised a goblet of Port. "Happy New Year, my friends. May we all draw nearer to God."

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--"Zay Mazter," Frida asked. "What did thiz Robert Asprin write? Zome of uz might like to read zomething well written..."
    --"Why you little...." I decided to hold my tongue there.
    --"You should put that back in your mouth," advised FireAngel with a shake of her head. "You might drop it."
    --With a sigh I recounted some of the works of Robert Asprin, "He wrote a series of 'Myth" stories ('Another Fine Myth')...and a series of 'Phule" stories ('Phule's Company'), as well as his last series, sadly unfinished, that started with 'Dragons Wild' . "
    --"Back to the gnomes please?" CatherineRose entreated politely.
    (On the Isle of Feinantz) --From around the point of land Lyra's voice rose in a wail, "It's GONE! PossumRose is GONE!"
    --Mingo and I quickly rounded the point, leaving it blunt, and observed the empty stone jetty where once was berthed Lyra's ship, PossumRose. A disconsolate Lyra stood on the jetty peering down into the water. I feared the boat had sunk...
    --"By the light of the moon!" shouted Princess BlueBell, which caused a dozen Bluehat Security Gnomes to appear from stealth. "Captain, where is Lyra's ship?" the Princess demanded with a frown.
    --The security captain looked from the frown to the princess and back again, before deciding to answer the princess. "ShipWright took it."

7. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--Gerta placed a large cake adorned with candles on the table. "Happy Birthday Mazter!" Frida exclaimed. "Happy Birthday!" added Gerta and the various beloved lurkers. "Make a wish and blow out the candlezez Mazter, before the ceiling catchez fire from the heat!"

8. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

Happy happy B-Day Mingo
    falls back into the shadows

9. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Raises his glass to Mingo and nods with a wink.

10. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--Ascending to the small stage in the Fire Lotus Tavern, Gerta announced, "In honor of Mingo's Birthday, Kozue and I shall sing for you. I hope you enjoy it!" Gerta then sat at the piano and Kozue (Frida) took out her small harp and strummed it with her black painted fingernails that if you looked close, were actually clipped off claws....they both took part in singing the song.
    --("there are many parts of the Metaverse,") I thought as I watched the magical projection which Gerta and Frida seemed to be able to make when they wished... ("I wonder if they have actually been to this place.")

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...+movie+%22big+fish+and+begonia%22&FORM=HDRSC3

11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

"In honor of your birthday, dear Mingo," the lady said and stood up. She walked to Mingo and kissed his cheek.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:pA very happy birthday to you time and time again forever in your pen! ;)
    ~Time Lord~

13. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(back in time, on the Isle of Feinantz)--"Never fear my dear Captain," Princess BlueBell reassured Lyra, patting her on the ankle, "PossumRose is in good hands."
    --"You have ships?" I said with a blink, that thereafter said nothing.
    --The guard Captain responded, "Oh indeed. ShipWright is amazing in his abilities. He has taken PossumRose to haul out and remove barnacles from the hull."
    --"Well...well....that sounds ok..." Lyra said, somewhat mollified.
    --"Our ships are a bit different than yours," Hamster began to explain. At that moment a raven came to land at my feet. "Corn!" it demanded.
    --"Which one are you?" I asked the Raven
    --"Quoth!" it replied.
    --"Hello Quoth, I didn't know you were old enough to fly over the ocean," I said welcoming the young raven.
    --"Tired. Corn!" Quoth demanded.
    --"Say," Hamster asked somewhat puzzled, "Isn't the raven supposed to say something else? Seems I read a story..."
    --"Bad joke!" Quoth cawed, flapping his wings and hopping a bit.
    --I actually had some corn, which I gave the talking bird. "You have a message for me, Quoth?"
    --"Guaca Mole!" it answered.

14. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Fireangel suddenly feels hungry.

15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"That actually sounded like Whack-a-mole", I comment between two sips of my whiskey... "Beidh uisce beatha maith ag maolú na néaróg!", I then sigh in to my tumbler...

Lily Byrd, Fireangel and Rentier like this.
  16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)--The birthday cake had been eaten. Various beverages imbibed. Frida took up her small harp and sat on the piano bench facing the room with her back to the piano. She plucked slowly at the strings with her fingernails, for the harp had strings of metal wires and was not strummed with the pads of the fingertips as on harps with gut or synthetic strings...
    --"Where did he go?" asked FireAngel as she pulled a chair close to Frida and sat down. "It has been some time since the birthday party."
    --"Ah," Frida responded, strumming a chord, "Mazter haz been counting monkeyzez I think."
    --"Counting monkeys?" FireAngel said with a frown. "I wonder how many?"
    --"Twelve" I answered as I sneakily returned to the FireLotus Tavern for a moment.
    --"He waz on a barge," Frida explained.
    --"Binge," I corrected
    --"I love '12 Monkeys' ," TimeLord sighed.
    --"You would," Rentier chuckled.

17. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"I thought the movie was pretty awful, myself", I commented, "But to everyone their own, I guess", as I wink.

Fireangel and Rentier like this.
  18. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady smiled at Frida, and her eyes twinkled as she met Mingo's gaze. "In the earthly realm, I hear little boys count monkeys often, but only up to ten, and the monkeys are always jumping on the bed and sustaining injuries. The song isn't a good lesson, because the mother displays poor discipline to her children, and she keeps calling the doctor, who repeatedly gives her the same advice. Little boys, and probably little girls too -- find the song funny and entertaining, rather than learning anything about being careful or having good manners. But they are only little for a short time. As their grandmother, I limit their jumping and climbing to a less dangerous level, and I kiss their bumps and bruises -- at their request --, but I do not harass the doctor for discipline by phone." Fireangel paused. "I admit to sometimes calling them monkeys."

Bodhbh Dearg, Lily Byrd and Rentier like this.
  19. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

*sneakily moves back into the tavern after having left for other realms*

Bodhbh Dearg and Fireangel like this.
  20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern)-Although the staff has left, Frida/Kozue sits at a table with her aunt Gerta (Cheada). A single candle on the table fights a losing battle with the darkness. "What's that tune you are strumming?" Gerta asks as Frida picks out a slow melody on her small harp. "Zunrize, Zunzet," Frida answers. "Mazter told me a ztory about a family....and taught me thiz tune..."
    --"where is he do you think?" Gerta wondered, sitting sideways to the table and raising her mug of green tea, now gone cold, from time to time to take a sip.
    --"I don't know...." Frida replied. "Perhapz tomorrow you should tell folkziez some of your story when you went back to Katya'z Koffee Klutch thiz lazt time, I don't think Writer'z Ink or the land of Prodigy exiztz in this current Metaverze."
    --"Ah, perhaps I will, if I don't go back home."
    --"To Apzara?"
    --"yes, I wonder how your mother is doing training to take over from your grandmother."
    --"Granny likez me not," Frida said. "Probably becauze I bit off her finger when I waz little."
    --"You do have sharp teeth," nodded Gerta, "but I fear you suffer from her disapproval of your father. Your Granny is more of a mammal than a being of air or water. She has a bit of bias against any kind of snaky, lizardy being....including Krisskar. She never would ride on Minogame."
    --"Ah, that iz why my friend Elza, the lamia, always hid when grandma waz near."
    --"She will mellow someday. Play something a little less morose if you don't mind?"
    --So Frida began plucking the tune to "Rainbow Connection" which was her aunt's favorite.

Bodhbh Dearg, Fireangel and Rentier like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.