1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Awesome, thanks @Chris , if theres anything we can do to help. Please shout. Many of us will happily help even if its the smallest or dullest thing.

Interesting to see the map go back to the community, and i cant wait for the POT terraforming tools......

Mal Hari and Lily Byrd like this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I hope flattening land also allows placement of lots over those flattened land spots... I'd love to see that happen.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you make it so that people can opt-in to have their vendor item data avalable through Lua in order to be searched then I bet you'll find that everyone will opt-in.

The only reason some people are so against having a global vendor search feature is because they currently have a big advantage over other players. New players cannot even hope to gain anything near comparable.

Vaiden Luro, Chatele, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I still want to see the ability to buy partial stacks off of a player vendor. It's a pain in the rear to list a dozen sub-stacks just because you know few people will want an enormous stack of something.

5. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

If the game is going to move to a universal vendor search model (aka like a WoW auction house), then just do that. In game, officially. Offering a lua plugin that only some can and will know how to get/use offers disadvantages, namely those new players, and will offer huge advantages to players who use it to arbitrage the system. Of course, doing this properly in game cuts off the need of many people ever to buy more than one vendor (as location won't matter much, if at all), so take a guess if that happens.

6. CICI

CICI Avatar

universal vendor search model like Star Wars Galaxies :)

Cirsee, Dinsoo, Spinok and 1 other person like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I don't recall anyone being against a search, in fact I thought that was on the plan already.

Lots of people are against an global auction house on the grounds that a lot of the reason for housing (most of the interactivity of it) is in having stores.

I would love to see more interactivity added to housing, btw. I still think by driving the game to be more and more like every other MMO, it's losing what made it special.

Chatele, Elwyn, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Glad to see vendors being brought up by someone other than me. I strongly believe the developers have no idea of the importance of them or the market due to not ever having had to go buy things or ever being sellers.

Xandra7 and Lily Byrd like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I agree, this worked well to let people find things, made it easier to figure out average prices, but you still had to physically travel to the person's shop, meaning they may be able to entice you with a charming storefront, additional items for sale, and you'd probably check vendors you passed on the way there.

Shopping in Sota is probably one of the most painful shopping experiences I've had in any game, ever. I think of all the factors contributing to the economy problems, the buy/sell interface is probably the biggest. There's a lot of things I would happily spend gold to buy rather than make myself, but it would take me longer to find a vendor selling it at a reasonable price than to just go make it!

Wilfred, Vaiden Luro, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  10. Restless

Restless Avatar

I agree here as well. Farming out dev work to players is not going to work well. This also applies to the whole QA debacle and player dungeons. It is clear no testing / bug finding is going on and adding more dungeons built by players just muddys the water like the 100 scenes not being used in game built by devs.

Chatele and arcdevil like this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Anpu likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I am also completely fine with a player vendor item search that provides information on which town and lot to find items. The rest then still is up to the player to investigate further.

Like right now I’m in the game. There is actually something that I would buy from a player right now. But the sheer amount of time it will just take me to find that made me just give up. So instead I’m going to make some hammers....

13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I concur, a current refreshed vendor should appear and it’s up to the player to go to the town to visit the vendor would work amazingly well if a Universal search is implemented

Lily Byrd and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Current refreshed isn't even needed. I have people come through and buy out a vendor who has been stocked months ago, and is just very niche. For example, blocks. Not a lot of sales, so I don't have to stock it very often, but when someone does come by they tend to by mountains of them.

That's a reason the vendor sitting thing is a failure for niche vendors as well.

Elwyn, Sulaene Moon and Cyin like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

16. Godra

Godra Avatar

@Chris

Thank you!!! You just restored my faith in this project in one post. Simply a vision of where we are going now.

17. Drowan

Drowan Avatar

I still think one of the best things that could be done to attract more people to this game would be a total overhaul of the avatars. They are so fugly most people I know won't give the game a chance.

18. BGZ-Saiah-Lynn

BGZ-Saiah-Lynn Avatar

This makes me sad @Chris .

The absolute biggest reason you aren't retaining players is because of that quest and journal system. The quests are good.. the way the system executes and logs it for the player to experience is not. Low priority? meh...

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And the dialog UI is programmer art from the 90's. From what I'm seeing of Lua it's going to be a long time before we magically replace the UI with something that ISN'T programmer art. And even then, the new player has to know to download it.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

What's a "download?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.