1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Dance a Levelled Skill That Provides Hours-Long Buffs (Bunch of Video Examples)

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Not sure why the original thread was closed but I feel so strongly about this Wishlist entry that I'm reposting. Edit: It was locked due to inactivity!

UPDATE: THANK YOU for the Bard Skill. I can't wait!!! But, still...

I believe Dance should be leveled skill as well to provide substantial buffs for other Avatars that last several hours.

Be a musician.. be a dancer.. be both. And buff your friends at the same time.

It worked really well in Star Wars Galaxies as you can see below!
    We were able to choreograph multiple dances or songs into a set and sync play them in a group. This was done using a built-in macro system provided by the game itself.

Imagine how busy Inns would be if people came to listen to music and watch dancers and get stronger doing so! Towns with live entertainment! Draw adventurers to with the promise of buffs and watch your vendors sell more goods! A lot of interesting stuff goes down in that environment too, I've seen it all!

Ps. We need more alluring female outfits too please ;)

View of in-game skill trees, built-in macro system

Also, pet droids had special effects for entertainers like fog and light shows

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Chris @Ravalox @TaiKee Vetrae @Lauremir

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, missed opportunity on this one. We dance. Make a buff. More people is bigger buff.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  3. Beli

Beli Avatar

I have been wanting this.

4. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Alleine Dragonfyre, the original thread was closed as the last post was over a year ago. (Standard thread necro prevention). Posting a new one with a link to the old is the best thing to do... :)

5. Alleine Dragonfyre

I forgot it was regular forum maintenance!

Plans can be altered!

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This is the #1 reason SWG died. I saw this In game and cancelled my SWG sub and continued to play UO instead.

7. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Seriously? I hope that this is sarcasm because that is not the reason why it died (NGE is why it died) *shakes head*

Cirsee, Beli and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL. After a dance party, we can go fnck-up some dragons. :D

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Wow lol. Mean spirited much? It is IN NO WAY the reason SWG died. Anyone that is a fan knows that.

It was insanely popular and a big component of the "sandbox play" theory. Much like SoTA, players were creative, made their own lives and adventures in the game. SWG is one the most talked about, most loved and missed MMOs of all time.

Cirsee, Xandra7, Beli and 1 other person like this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Nope. No mean spirit here.

Being mean spirited is putting a vulture picture as a reply on a for sale posting that is not yours.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

:eek:

There's so much that could be done with a dance system.

Not only in terms of buffs, but I've seen 'dancers' (as a class, or skill tree) able to do all manner of things - and not just in town.
    A skilled dancer could have group support by having a mesmerizing dance that calms aggression, applies a mez effect, applies a confusion effect, applies a slow effect or reduces dexterity (they're distracted by the dance) and can even be used to affect things like aggro (taunting dances, or evasive dances) - I've seen this work in tactical games where a dancer unit can make a significant difference. Being able to level and advance the dance skill in a social setting but still have it be viable in group scenarios would add a much needed depth to group combat particularly in light of the expectation of larger (raid) groups becoming a thing.

I know a lot of people are thinking "oh, more social stuff" but social stuff is a big part of this game, and giving it its own purpose/progression is something I have always felt was missing - and it would make investing time in these activities have a purpose outside the strictly social space.

You'd also be able to gate new dances/emotes behind skill progression, allow different dance types to be levelled up, and taught after a certain level of mastery is reached, and someone who has invested a lot of hours in dance could have some really unique moves that take a long time to unlock; there could be quests to go learn these things adding another level of interaction with the world, and soon and so forth.

Also, think of the outfits!

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

13. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think a dance/music system similar to SWG would be a lot of fun. Don't forget that it was possible to make camps and deploy in the world to allow entertainers to buff party members on the fly. Could be a nice benefit for raids or other groups.

14. Alleine Dragonfyre

oh YES! the camps! we could deploy them anywhere in the world (like crafting harvesters, which was another amazing game system) and dance and play music to buff our party. Such a great game! Thanks @Cirsee

Agree!!!

Cirsee likes this.
  15. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

SWG fans have been dying for anyone to give them a replacement to even just what they had before. If a developer could do that, they would be a huge hit. SWTOR missed the mark hard on those systems we loved in SWG. I had high hopes there that really got trashed. I so miss that housing system to.. you could rotate, flip, size, move things on top of each other and I didn't need all those crazy circles and arrows to do it.. just a few R15 commands :) I know the lag sucked, but it was truly a fantastic system for housing, gathering, and crafting. Bio engineering your rancor :) Ah the memories!

Anpu, Xandra7 and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  16. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

This is where my name comes from. "TaiKee Vetrae" was a twilek entertainer in SWG and just kept the name in other games from there. But SWG is where Tai was born.

The entertainment aspect was fantastic - the cantina was THE place to be. :) I'd love to see inns and taverns being used. Can you imagine marking something as an tavern in a POT and entertainers get bonuses to their buffs if performed there? UGH the possibilities!!

Pawz and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I had a doc/combat medic that would skill up by healing the dancers stamina!

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

That's so cool <3

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely would love to see something like this in the game...o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.