Combat "balance pass"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

OMG, you are so funny! Welcome Back!

Boris Mondragon, Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

In terms of ESO, I shouldn't be able to solo Torc, the Daemons or any Dragons in SOTA. ESO Bosses would require a group to take em down. Period. The fact that I can take more of these bosses on myself in SOTA is unusual from what I'm seeing.

In ESO I tried taking out a boss bug a couple weeks ago. My first one. I'm getting pretty powerful.

Or so I thought. The Boss Bug sent me packing ;-)

I've been learning the finer points of "Looking for Group". I wouldn't be surprised if SOTA eventually did something similar. Yeah I know we have LFG. If you are tough enough, generally it's not needed.

Personally I like doing it all myself. Again, SOTA is unique there.

3. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I do agree with most of what you said above for sure. I think what makes these types of games hard is if you ask 100 players what changes they want you get 100 answers. The delicate balance is for devs to take that information make changes that make sense base on data and test it in QA. My biggest complaint has been lack of QA of these changes and with such a small team the devs often don't take the time or have the time to test their own systems which leads to dissatisfaction. I do think Cbris has recently done a good job of explain how a seemingly easy suggestion is much more complex to put together. I hope some of these changes that are significant can simmer on the QA server a bit longer before rolling out to live.

4. eli

eli Avatar

Well, if you believe successive new generations of content will be able to add challenge to the existing combat math, I have about 40 previous releases to sell you

5. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I still cant tell if you were being sarcastic.
    My gut says "yes" but my heart says "No"

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Do Klingons understand sarcasm?

7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Shakespeare. They understand Shakespeare :D

8. eli

eli Avatar

Please stay on topic

9. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

So will death mages finally be able to hurt undead? ... I mean they’re specialized right?

10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So we are awaiting the “combat pass”. I have no idea how they will do it but see two options right off the bat on how to go about it.

1)Ask an expert in that class/class combo if they feel it needs a boost and where or if it’s OP and how to adjust it (hold your breath on anyone saying what they use is OP).

2)Have Dev team set all skills on the experiment for that tested skill to 100 and try three different dungeons. They can see how long it took that skill/class to clear it. Simplest though time consuming to see what needs to be boosted and what to leave alone.

Again, I place emphasis on “Boost” not nerf. Fire mages and others enjoy what you have and hopefully the rest of us will catch up.

R/Boris

Gageman likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, that always seemed dumb. I mean, you would think they would be experts at harming undead, being able to manipulate the very magic that animates them and all that.

12. Pon Orapon

Pon Orapon Avatar

Don't nerf. Bring others to parity. But don't do anything without a thorough study of the data!

13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

And do it on QA first ;D

Boris Mondragon and Cirsee like this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

A bludgeon user pumping out an archer's DPS and high crits at 40m or an AFK tamer clearing a room of 30 zombies in 1 minute like a fire mage would definitely be interesting.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It seems that @Chris is specifically concerned about Piercing Shot. If that's the extent of his archery nerf then I won't have any issue with it since Piercing Shot is not very useful for PvE.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Chatele likes this.
  16. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes please.. what he said. PvE always takes a huge hit when there are PvP balances needed.

Chatele, Boris Mondragon and Gageman like this.
  17. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I have played plenty of MMOs and NEVER has any big MMO I have played with a nerf to a skill ever completely ruined that play style. Chris has done that in this game. If this is the type of game I can play any way I want ;then why the heck does the way I want always get torched? Your players are smart enough to figure a good way to play out and then it gets nerfed. It isn't an exploit, it is the way the game was designed. I totally agree with Elrond, people in this game quit many times over because of the nerfs. Its a pain in the butt to figure out a new play style time and again because the game forces it on you. Chris certainly made it sound like he was going to do some broad and large nerfs this time around and that is usually the way players get very angry.
    Generally most games will beef up mobs when player power creeps and not just broadly nerf everything. That being said Air magic is behind the curve. I think you need to look at all the skills without gear and compare them before we can truly say artifacts have not come into play in making them better over other trees.

Chatele and Gageman like this.
  18. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Its not that it is the last time.. it is that this happens way way too often. It creates nerf fatigue.

Boris Mondragon and Gageman like this.
  19. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I could supply a ton of examples from various games. Happens all the time in ESO and FFXIV. Stamina Wardens were the flavor for a while then nerfed and just like here players threatened to quit, then the necromancer came out and every jumped to that until bam nerf. Now it's stamina DKs. If you read forums of any MMO you will see the same conversation.

20. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Speaking as a pre ESO addicted (years and 2 time emperor)
    On the other hand ESO has a total different combat mech: fixes bars (2) , rotations, spellweaving/anim cancelling. Nothing more. You can measure and align Dps in a way sota wont ever be able to do so. (And thankfully), rotating 5x2 + 2 ulti is noob and after years is boring. After vMA, allV hc speedrun ese loose all the interest beside lore wise. 10+ for the health/level balance above the entire map tho.
    I liked more daoc /gw aproach tbh. No rotations, solid CCs cooldowns based on math, combat breaks speed beside some special RAs. Rock scissor paper aproach, Realm Abilities as well, Sieges for Elronds etcetera etcetera etcetera

Boris Mondragon and jschoice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.