Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Players and why they won't stay.

Discussion in 'Release 73 Feedback' started by shadtek, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Sorting the quest journal by difficulty instead of order received might be a VERY good idea to resolve that quest journal issue.

I have heard this a lot, difficulty knowing which quest to do first.

As a note, there should be a short line indicating the next goal in the quest either above or below the details. Sure, it's nice to read the full details of the quest, and a shame that players don't do so, and not having a summary of goals will pander to this. However, insuring they understand the quest is more important.

2. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

I took this from the following post.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/shroud-2020-vision.161221/
    "Roughly 500 - 700 new players try the game each week and of those, roughly 12% stick. That stickiness number is actually very good by F2P standards. Most of the people that quit, do so within the first scene. This means one of the following: their machines are out of date, they didn’t like the look of the game, didn’t like how the game played in general, or they really were just passing through and didn’t have a real interest in playing. We have spent countless man months working to improve the starting scene and we have seen some modest improvements; but there are some people we will never get to stay.

Our conclusion is that continuing to try to improve the stickiness rate with early game polish is not cost effective. It also doesn’t benefit existing players directly. Players who were with us last year saw us spending months on improving the starting experience while apologizing to existing players for not making the rest of the game better. Buying more ads is also extremely expensive and also doesn’t benefit the existing players directly.

Based on the above data my belief is that rather than trying to grow the player base through large ad spends or by spending all our efforts on the starting experience, our focus must be primarily on fixing things that make players leave, slowly improving the reputation of the game, doing modest ad spends, working with other games for some cross promotion, and earning a larger audience over time."

When those old players get bored and stop sending you money, you'll go down in flames.
    Your reasoning is BS too. My machine is out of date and I can run it just fine, despite having everyone tell me to upgrade(then silently fixing the issue that was causing the problem)
    NO game survives if it cannot pick up new players. and 12% is CRAPPY despite your claim.
    I'll probably not buy chapter 2, at least not while THINGS ARE STILL BROKEN.
    I'll probably stop playing soon, because this confirms to me there is no intention of fixing anything in Chapter 1...
    There will be fewer and fewer new players, and older players will also move on.
    Nice going, you've alienated alot of current players and any new players that may try it out.

3. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

"Our conclusion is that continuing to try to improve the stickiness rate with early game polish is not cost effective. It also doesn’t benefit existing players directly."

Just fix the quest journal. THAT is why you only have a 12% "sticky rate"...

Yes, since I posted this comment I have been informed that it is in the works.
    VERY MUCH APPRECIATED by this player.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

They are doing a new quest system. Did you miss that?

5. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Indeed I did Anpu, I am glad to hear that!
    Had I not had the guidance of some founders and the old beta testers I knew who had already completed the stuff,
    I sure would have considered trying some other game, and man I woulda been disappointed too.

I decided this would be my game, the game I would play. I am pretty loyal,
    I enjoy the frustration that actual game play can sometime bring to bear on me,
    but I sure don't think the interface should be a source of frustration to me...

Anpu likes this.
  6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Totally reworking the quest system, generally would mean totally reworking the quest journal.

I hope the new one leans heavier on user friendly nature.

Don't be afraid to hurt immersion a little for better usability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.