This is not Shroud of the Avatar!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Admiralloyd, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree with @Mac2 - if you wield two deadly & powerful artifacts then there is a good chance of something VERY bad happening to you.

[​IMG]

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

LOL perfect picture for that, I still have not seen that movie yet though, but I know the gist of it.

3. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

See that's what I don't get...why should one tree be top dps? Shouldn't all of them have an equal balance of dps, dots etc?

Chatele and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not really. Consider the Water tree which can damage, heal, slow etc and has TWO summonable elementals under it. If Water damage approached Fire levels then SOTA would be overrun with water mages. Which doesn't really fix the fire mage problem.

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I thought I made this perfectly clear. The fire tree does only one thing, dps, even its shield spell is just dps, the ignite buff, more dps. Balance does not mean all trees get the same dps unless, they all get the same heals, the same buffs, the same pets and the same cc effects, and if it was like that, there would be no point in having other trees as they would just all be the same anyways right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I think the problem is not the skills design but the special op gear given to the few selected trees like archery and fire.
    Still waiting for a xen/envy hammer and bandit plate set :p

PS: 2k damage fireball (after that the damage was doubled) doesn't sound a lot like dps but a solid oneshot damage :)

7. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

While mages can kill yellows and reds by running around in circles, us poor melee people cannot just stand there and do the same amount of DPS in these areas.. I am 120 in all of my sword skills, 100+ in heavy armor and it is harder to play than an archer or mage.. Archers should have been nerfed YEARS Ago compared to the damage and when I play my archer character I am amazed how easy it is compared to being a pure tank. Outside of healers, Mages need to have the mana drain faster than it does now because never hear of a mage complain about mana being out.

8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

makes sense to me now. Sorry you may had been "perfectly clear", but my english is not the best so sorry if it wasn't perfectly clear to me. Gezzzz
    Thanks @Numa

Mac2 and Numa like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Bludgeon can do comparable DPS to fire. Just cant do it while kiting. Swords are not great at AoE and rend is the only ability they have that can get thru resistance. All other weapons have options to get through high resistances.

Swords excel in poison (shortsword and dagger only) which can also get through armor but not with undead. Rend is slow but you can kite with it, but not on undead.

I have been using all the weapons for a while now. Dual wielded sylvan daggers do the best straight up damage on non, undead. Two handed hammer performs the best overall.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, the fireball buff did make it extremely powerful. If you read my first post that is what I am saying as well, they need to fix the gear problem first before doing any nerfing to the skills cuz if they do it the other way around, nerf the skills and THEN fix the gear thing, then it will end up useless and just have to be buffed again. It will save them time and players to get the gear thing fixed first.

One thing you can try with melee to compensate is get heavy armor spec, get the bodyslam MW on your chest, and stack the bodyslam. The stun on bodyslam with heavy armor spec and the bodyslam MW will last a really long time, and right now, works on dragons. With good dps and those bodyslams, you can pretty much stunlock some mobs and just wail on them until they are dead. Hope that helps.

AHHH no problem. Sorry if that sounded condescending, it was not my intention, but you do see what I am saying now. And trust me, you can do English better then I can do your language and I dont even have to know what that language is, as I ONLY know English.

11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Lies... i seen him typing in tongues frequently...he usually blames it on keyboard....but we all know ...

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Not really
    Because you can only put a single gem into spots where gems go
    You could try to split them, but using say, one wand each of two different flavors or splitting the jewelry tends to be less effective than stacking a single element.
    Its perfectly acceptable to do, but you wont reach the "ridiculous" level in either, splitting them like that. Instead you get two "okayish" offensive trees which depending on what you are fighting may be good enough. But even with attunement in the 250-280 range using magic other than fire on large targets can't overcome resistance and basically feels like throwing a potato. Fire with the new artifacts and gear changes can easily get to 320+ attunement plus all the other OPness with the resist stripping, evaporate, and persistent DoTs is just unparalelled.

Sun and life can get attunement high too because of the ankhs, but at significant usage cost (I tried 2x sun ankh, was spenidng 10k in regs for 30 mins of fighting, lol) but because they require constant active casting can't compete.

Typically what you see people do, if they are dual spec, is have a set of gear for each for different scenarios or, more likely, just use one of the specs as support (such as sun spec for spellcrit). With 170-180 attunement in Sun without gearing specifically for it but getting attunement from warlock chain, blessing, and speicalisation, the damage output is well....bad. If I put sun gear on, the damage gets a little better but then my other magic gets worse. I tend to keep all my gear aligned to my primary offensive element for this reason.

Boris Mondragon and Sulaene Moon like this.
  13. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Don't generalize, the only mage realy op in pve is fire mage, because He can kill almost everything and with less time and effort than other classes. Life and death mages are competitive in pve too but just in certain areas, meanwhile other kind of magic classes are totaly subpar.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think all the magic should have equal damage. They each have their intended specialties, some work well others dont. Fire might be OP, but it is intended to be the magic that deals the most damage. That damage is supposed to take some time to ramp up tho.

Ice was intended to be more a support school, centered around slows, some heals and countering fire.

Earth was suppsoed to be very usable with heavy armor and focus on phsycially brawling and defending

Moon was intended to be a support tree centered around stealth and CC, Sun was supposed to be centered around CC

Death does what its supposed to do now, and Air was suppsoed to be CC and damage.

If the individual DoTs ticking from fire are each by themselves comparable to the damage other direct damage spells do, that shouldnt be. They should individually be weak, but collectively outshine the other magic schools in damage once you have several DoTs applied at once.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think the issue is how it ramps up to be honest no one would complain it it where 10% 15% more powerful but it’s 200% more power and more with insane gear. A mid level fire mage can destroy high tier and high gear mages of other builds in most of the “like” content. Take tar for example fire mages vrs any other type and it’s not even in the same ball park. My moon mage with 155’s and best gear in slot could not beat a mid level mid geared fire mage in dps. If this is intended it explains why everyone is switching to fire.

again I’ve no issue with fire being the dps best it’s the distance to the next trees where I take exception.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Speaking of Moon(Lunar) tree here's my perspective on it.

The Moon tree is the magical assassin's tree. With poisoned blades and stealth you can infiltrate an enemy zone bypassing guards then nightstep behind your target for a lethal backstab.

Charm animal & mesmerize to misdirect hostile mobs or players. Night cocoon to heal while stealthed. Wisp to debuff or mez a second opponent.

Even meteor shower is basically a distraction :)

It's not a tree built to stand toe to toe with an enemy. You gotta hit him when he's not looking or is preoccupied with something else.

Elwyn likes this.
  17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will form a line as well for the Bandit Chain set and Vex/Envy one handed sword and dagger. Let them be crafted though so we don’t screw the blacksmiths.

Charon likes this.
  18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Fire tree might be dps only, but you can still use heals, ice field, run speed, and a bunch of other utility at the same time, so it’s not like fire mages are limited to only doing damage. I do agree that artifact wands should be fixed before making other big changes though.

FWIW, air also gets -resist. At 100 spec, lightning can give -60 air resist. Straight air can also do pretty good damage with spell binder stance and is super durable with air shield and stuns with the amount of focus that is now achievable. Fire is still somewhat OP, but I think a lot of other stuff is underrated.

19. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Those fire skills will be great for a mage up on the stage in front of the enthralled audience.

Elwyn and Numa like this.
  20. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Mac is correct, that is why all fire mages also spec Life or heavy armor. They can dump mad DPS, run away and heal until the foes die, or they can stand in like a tank and resist most damage.
    If they dont feel like killing everything alone, they can bring an archer or some other worthless class along for comic relief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.