1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

This would only work if it was a static model, one mesh with one texture. It wouldn’t change based of the sellers inventory, it would just be a mock model for different shop types. I.e. Blacksmith, ore seller, food seller, bakers, brewers, weapons, armor, etc...

Why won’t your suggestion work?

The scenario your pitching sounds like players have shop fronts with individual meshes and textures trying to load based of the sellers inventory every time a player runs near. For any MMO that would be a massive tax on load time and would have horrendous pop in for players running around near by.
    It wouldn’t look very appealing and would kill immersion for others. If two shops are next to each other this load on the server would be even worse. That x how ever many players near however many shops and you have a recipe for rubber banding and lag festivals a plenty.

Just having something simple like a small billboard or a building with an NPC the player visits who pops up a global/local search function would be far less taxing on the server and easier for the devs to maintain.

You could have that system along with the static shop front types I suggested earlier which you could also tie into a global/local search and you’d still have a system more server friendly and on the back end easier to maintain then the system you have suggested.

It’s not that your suggestion isn’t a really great one. It’s just that it would cause more issues then is needed. If this where a single player game such a system could work. But for an mmo it would tax the server too much with so many small assets loading. Of course I could be completely wrong, I’m just speaking from my experience working on models/meshes/textures and how taxing they can be on a system/server. @Chris is the one to say if this is something that could be done in SotA or not.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Wow; vendor ping pong ball has not been broken yet? How about a simple tool that tells me where I can find something. I. E. I want to find a Constantan augmented chain mail helm, it tells me who has it on the vendor and where that vendor is.

No need to complicate it, I will go there, compare and buy from whom is giving me what I want at a reasonable price. I don’t need door dash to bring it to me in a fancy box.

I would rather have @Chris and crew working on new artefacts, armor , weapons and moving/ battling ships as he stated.

R/Boris

3. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Crafted items are the sticky widget in this equation and perhaps they should be left off of the Global Marketplace. Maybe we use the list of available to buy (Like when you put up a buy order)items from the vendors and those are the items that can be listed globally. The crafted goods need to be sold from an actual vendor . I am not going to say that I am a genius , that's for other people to say, but I think I just solved this whole thing. 8)

Cordelayne, Sulaene Moon and Numa like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Or the whole quest system, the quests and the dialouges.

Chatele, Astirian, Cyin and 6 others like this.
  5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

That too, might want to add some new faces and hairstyles. They can even sell those in the crown store and help keep the lights on a bit longer. Scrap EP1 buggy quest and replace with 10 easy non buggy quests for each path so you see all the important places. Get your deed and press on to other things. Once you have a place to call home it may keep you around for a while.

R/Boris/El Pirata

6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Do you honestly want to tell me that 5 (1 table + 4 items the vendor is selling placed on slots) additional decoration would matter compared to the already 100+ decorations on the lot? ;)
    There is already for each lot a decoration limit and that would be also the limit of how many products you can present. If needed the devs may have to define a maximum of slots per lot but all in all I would say there is nothing changing regarding load times.

I would guess the closes to a global market is currently the bank. Previously the banks were separated and to get an item back you had to go to the settlement you added the item to bank. They changed that and now you can access all items from all banks. This way lets use the bank as a “worst case scenario” for a global solution.
    I do not know how fast the bank is loading for you but I would guess for me it takes between 5-10 seconds each 1000 items I have in the bank.
    Assuming there are 2000 vendors everyone with 100 sales. This would be 200 000 items on that list…resulting in 1000-2000 seconds (16-33 minutes) of loading until you can take a look at the list....wouldn't be that good.
    Of course it does not have to be this way but using the currently existing mechanic might result in such a scenario and this way might need more work than we expect. I guess no solution will be flawless and in the end the devs will make their own decision...hopefully after weighing our ideas and mentioned possible problems. :)

Indeed I would like to discuss about e.g. quests and dialogs too...but as far as I understood the devs have already chosen a new system and we simply have currently no access to it.

7. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

If that were the case, for the global interface, I wouldn't think they would load the entire inventory, but instead give a search bar or a list of every item available(Like when you post a buy order) , clicking on that item or typing the keyword would bring up all all matches. In the long run, it couldn't be worse than wandering around blindly searching the inventory of 75 unknown vendors

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But only for ep2. Which is, frankly, a tremendously bad idea.

Chatele, Astirian, ephialtes and 4 others like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think good new shoes might be even more important.
    Meanwhile, you are telling us what the game should be to the rest of us. A game that some of us have been playing that way for over four years.
    Yet you still do not listen and keep insisting on exactly the same thing, everything and nothing less.
    I'm still surprised at how much business I still get in the middle of Kingsport (when I feel up to restocking). But there are certain things that are better sold in Silverdale, so I sell those things there.
    Given what I have always thought is the excessive cost of using the public vendors, I would be willing to accept more convenience specifically with them. As it is, they barely have any meaning, and I would like to see there be a good reason for some people to use them.
    That might be way too hard to implement due to... reasons, but it would still be cool. After all, the "vendors sitting" thing literally only checks the vendor's inventory for the most recent item currently listed. If you restock today and someone buys all your new stuff tomorrow, but leaves the old stuff behind, the vendor will sit down immediately. Sure, you could just keep re-listing an undesirable item to work around this, but it's not the expected behavior. But it gives an idea of the current manpower limits of what they can implement.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

An unfortunate necessity, but as Chris had said, perhaps at some point they can go back and redo it, hopefully.

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Listening to Catnip livestreams and following twitter, less than a quarter of the 2020 vision will be implemented this year. Just my hunch. But, man. Chris sounds pessimistic about progress in most every livestream now. In this week's stream he indicated he didn't have time to tweak even a few earth spells due to technical/server issues. Compare that to the heavy lifting required to accomplish the vision feature list. About 8% of the year has already ticked by. Are there enough resources on the team to accomplish all of the 2020 vision this year? Half of it? Listening to stream negativity, I'm guessing much less.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  12. Restless

Restless Avatar

Pretty much outlines my first post in this thread.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...shroud-2020-vision.161221/page-4#post-1272491

It doesn't take a lot to see how much is over promised and under delivered in sota.

After watching maybe 10 min of Fzol's stream yesterday and hearing about the changes that have and haven't taken place - I am happy to have not logged in for quite a while now.

Chatele, Lord Aventine and devilcult like this.
  13. Sharriden

Sharriden Avatar

I haven't played this game in years.

I left for dozens of reasons I wont go on rant about as it seems none of that matters now with new management and all. The only thing on my mind right now is, can I play the game without having to build into all the various skill trees. When I originally played. My play-styles made it impossible, or rather it limited the content I could enjoy. Sometimes I like to play pure fighters, etc or just weird builds that are gimped. I understand nothing can be perfect, and that by doing this I am limiting myself. It just felt like I couldn't enjoy any content at all.

So my question with all said in mind, are there going to be some real major combat changes and more means to specialize character builds?

Chatele and Numa like this.
  14. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Chris Love the direction and ideas. But please, please don’t remove in combat focus regeneration. Without it Air Mages are over. Even with more XP in the air tree than most players, and with a focus specialization, I have to be super focused on focus management. I use potions and songs to help, and the focus specialization helps too. But with level 130 focus tree spells I still run out of focus. Please reconsider this idea; as a happy Air guy, it would end the tree and therefore me. Air is not a powerful tree; but it is my tree and I want to be the air guy forever. Thanks for reading. I respect your hard work and efforts - and I support the game, then and now.

Cordelayne, Fister Magee and Elgarion like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im pretty sure Chris beat you to this one already. You’re making a mistake to assume these are promises.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Resistence skills came in to every magic tree a while ago, allowing you to resist the opposite magic without having to level the whole tree to do so. They are nested under a skill so they are totally decieving in that you don't have to level anything above them. The reason for that part is "we don't have a way to draw it by itself".

So yes, you should be able to go pure melee now.

17. Restless

Restless Avatar

Nope. It's plain for everyone to see throughout this entire thread.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What is plain for everyone to see? Promises? I didn't see the word "promise" until you wrote it. I did see Chris use the word "goals", which is very far from "promises".

19. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

If you didn`t played SOTA for years, I can only advice to give it a chance in new release. I didnt played for SOTA for few time, but when I came back, I saw good advancement, it now runs very smooth, and amount of content rise significantly as well.

Anpu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Looks great to me! Can't wait for everything to come true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.