the potion debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sway, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sway

Sway Avatar

I completely disagree that mages "should" need focus potion. Saying that mages never run out is true but there is a reason mages don't run out. Mages like fighter manage there decks and or fighting around not running out. For example: I'm a sun mage, and was overly excited about the new sun spell added to the game Solar Flair. whoot. I scooped it up headed to Soltown and melted the training targets there till I leveled it to 120. Then I went to Ruined Keep for some troll hunting. When encountering my first Towrk had him to about 25% life and OOM no focus. Now I have to run around out of combat and wait till I can get some more (you know cause mages have no free attack or auto attack) looked at the new spell and it cost 67 focus. Having 6 in a dynamic deck simply burned up all my focus up. So now I have a new sun spell with no more then 2 in my deck so I can manage my focus better.
    #1 Mages managing there focus is not a flaw in the game to be fixed
    #2 Thanks for a new spell that I can barley use (and there is talk about making is cost even more ? ARRRR (shakes fist))

Also, No, making people need potion will not make loot better lol. In fact it will do the opposite. if you needed idk 4 potion to kill some troll or something, now his drop will have to be better then the price you could have gotten for the potion. I can tell you right now, unless you got a good ding with some random rare drop, IT WONT BE.

Ancev and Margaritte like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hmmm, Solar Flare, isn't that the one that has been out for like 3+ releases already?

To be fair, I think the focus cost on that one is actually fair. Yes it is pricy, but it is an AoE with extra damage to undead (you know those things that haunt about 50% of the content, and 90% of the best content?), adds even more damage when the sun is up, and specialization adds a stackable resistance debuff (stacks with Searing ray). ohh, and contrary to Banish undead, it actually works on everything else as well? Yes, for all those reasons combined, the spell's focus cost makes sense 100%!!! As a mage, no, you do not have Auto-attacks/Free attacks per say, but you have a wide variety of spells, and a whole bunch that can damage all the mobs in an area, all while staying oh so very far away! Any other "class" is stuck to either eat up damage to do his skills and auto-attacks, and their AoE's are usually pretty short range, or as for bow users, are single target, and guess what, their only AoE skill costs a decent amount of focus, and everyone complains that it is weak as heck.

So no, I do not think that 67 Focus cost on a 120 spell that does AoE, hits every target in that AoE, with bonus damage to undead, and bonus damage in sunlight, is out of whack, and if it means you need potions for certain fights, DRINK POTIONS! You have the solution in front of you!

camelbook03 and Numa like this.
  3. Sway

Sway Avatar

I didn't say it was out of whack.(but making it cost more based off of attunement? yes I think that will be out of whack.)
    I already fixed this problem by taking it out of my deck. my point is that I don't run out because I manage my focus not because focus cost is too low.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

My .02 on focus my mage never runs out on focus my int and focus pool gives me insane regen, my melee toon/tamer with focus/focus regen gear is always outta focus.

there is a focus problem balance issue, it’s easy as a mage to stack focus gear and capitalize on regen rates as a melee toon it’s much more difficult as a melee tamer good luck my friend.

@Sway what is your base focus pool at?

Cordelayne, Vero and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Sway

Sway Avatar

are you a fire mage ?

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ive played a fire mage but no I play air and moon or life and moon. Back to my point though it’s all about having a proper focus pool pushing 2200+ focus ull start getting huge regen ticks.

mages with high focus base will never have problems with focus. Int is a primary stat and the cloth gear is a focus modifier.

melee toons have a problem getting High focus and they don’t get that awesome regen.

tamers lose 400 base focus, a mage tamer and that 400 hurts but it’s only a pin prick where as melee tamers have 800 base with good skills and good gear if you subtract 400 from that ur natural regen rate is non exsisting with out food.

400 focus means very few skills and your oom.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    camelbook03 and Numa like this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean, Attunement = more power, and I think More Power should = more cost! It all makes sense! Maybe, like Dark said, this is mostly an issue of your base focus pool, or the gear you are using to complement it? I run an Ice/Sun Mage, and I usually keep 2 of Solar Flare in my deck, both for the nice damage, and for the Sun Resistance debuff (when I am actually using Sun Spec), and to be fair, it is worth it's cost 100%.

Sara Dreygon and SmokerKGB like this.
  8. Sway

Sway Avatar

I agree but what happens when you add attunement cost like chris mentioned at I believe he said 1/2 more. ok so now your over 100 focus cost. but at what attunement is that? 100 maybe ? more ? idk but what if your attunement is 240 or more will it go up 1 and 1/2 times ? at 167 ? because that eat up any pool

9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Its not a skill you should be spamming frequently. I use it locked and charge it for a big hit when I see a big group of mobs, especially undead. Its well worth the focus cost for that use and if you couple it with the chest masterwork it can crit for 1000+.

Sara Dreygon and Xiones like this.
  10. Sway

Sway Avatar

I don't care about the skill it was just and example

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I couldn't agree more, as a "sword and board" melee fighter.

I can only handle so many mobs until, I either kill them all, or run out of focus and need to make a tactical retreat. Even with my kitted out heavy plate and shield, I still feel squishy against magic and certain types of archers. So if there is a large group of both, I usually need to kill half and retreat to replenish both focus and HP.

12. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Says who? You? I tend not to let other dictate my play style to me and tell me "how a skill should be used" it's great that it works for you in the manner you describe it but not everyone will choose to use it in such a manner. :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't see any mention of "Food" regen both focus & HPs?

Just thought I'd add that: as a Archer/Polearm I eat to maintain my pools in both focus, but more important to me HPs within combat & out of combat... I'm only mid level chr, but can see a decisive difference between No Food & with Food...

Boris Mondragon, Numa and majoria70 like this.
  14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Its a spell with a high reagent cost, a very big aoe and a large focus cost. Im not telling you how to play, was only trying to help. If you enjoy running out of focus constantly, feel free to spam away :D

Boris Mondragon and Violet Ronso like this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm the spammiest around and I've never had focus problems with melee or magic. 2h melee is the one thing that isn't so sustainable, but it's easily just swapped in and out and used situationally with all the same skills as dual wield.

That being said, being dependent on potions would be more annoying than fun. I like potions that are practical enough to make a difference in a tough fight, but not practical enough to be a combat staple.

Numa and Dark Tidings like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm all for making potions more better.

Numa likes this.
  17. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Don't forget devotionals that will last you 8 hours.

18. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It is a bit annoying as a pure mage to see bow users and melee users using free attack and auto atack to do huge damage and both of those features in combat do very little for me as a pure mage with 2 wands. The answer I guess is to switch to bludgeoning and use a staff for physical damage?

Another way to regen focus on a sun mage is to cast Dazzling Ray's to mez your opponent then get out of combat and your non combat focus regen will kick in. Only works if you're not using damage over time skills. Also Aetheric Feedback is another skill that is useful against boss mobs - when you get a spell crit, hit aetheric feedback asap to get a combat focus regen boost. And then there's focus potions.

Would like to see more rare non-teachable potion recipes for alchemy and maybe a Transmute skill. eg: add transmute tool to alchemy crafting station, add reagents of some kind and lets say black cutworm - with a chance to convert black cutworm to beetle carapace. Or one gem to another gem type, etc.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Fister Magee, majoria70 and Numa like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Are any of the elementals good enough now to tank and do damage provided the right focus skills to power them up are trained? They weren't up to the task back then but i hear some improvements have been put in place recently.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  20. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Every time I've used my mage/elemental pet it's been disappointing. Just tested my Summon Phoenix skill - against a training dummy it's hitting for 10-12 damage per nuke (24 dmg crit) and quick DoT type of damage but very low.. 2 and 3 damage per tick. 281 sun attune, 100 summon phoenix skill, 229 int

I suggested a skill concept in the past called Frailty which essentially makes you like a Raistlin Majere as a pure mage ... weak physically (big physical damage nerf with weapons) but gives you various mage type bonuses.. perhaps spell damage buff, proc damage buff (Blistering Ray) and mage pet buff.. so hopefully you could use your pet to tank or dps a bit.

Fister Magee, majoria70 and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.