Why I play solo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am not a recluse. I enjoy having friends to share experiences with. But when it comes to this game, I am really affronted by the determined effort by the game designers to force me to group up. It really doesn't bother me much that people enjoy this situation and claim the rewards. I mean why not? But if the devs set it up so that someone can hide behind a rock, perhaps asleep, while their group earns them 2 to 6 million experience per hour, I take affront at this. As a solo player, constant action at high level yields 1 to 1.5 million experience per hour and then exhaustion takes over. I was drawn to this game initially because it was advertised as selective solo or multiplayer. And to tell the truth I have been able to play solo all this time. I complain not that people make the choices they do, but rather that new content now is geared for the multiplayer approach and us solo players are getting left in the lerch. We cannot solo many of the new scenarios. The average solo player has just as much money, time, and creativity invested as the multiplayer group player. Why then the bias? What is this game? I don't recognize it any more. Sad that.

2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Well, I think Chris knows that grouping up is not for everyone, but making great content will help the game be more "sticky" long-term and help him build his player base and gaming empire.

Girlsname and Aldo like this.
  3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Spot on Aldo. Exactly why I have been playing less and lesser lately. I log into the game and think where can I go explore and actually get good exp. and loot for my effort and have fun at the same time. And the answer is, the same old boring spots because all the good places are geared for groups. So, I log back out. And now I log in not so much, and I am in the process of searching for another game that supports solo play and is fun and rewarding..... I still pay the monthly fee for SOTA even though I hardly play it, simply because I am hoping EP.2 will be fun, diff, and SOLO FRIENDLY. I f not, well then, need I say more? :(

4. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

You mention UT but I solo it and dont even take a single point of damage.
    Can you elaborate?

5. oplek

oplek Avatar

Chris said on the last stream that you can go from AL 1-100 in a few days. Apparently I'm doing something wrong, because it took me months to go from 94 to 95. I also don't have a lot of interest in just keeping my numbers going up. At some point I feel like I'm 'high enough', and start looking for horizontal options. Group content doesn't interest me, so that doesn't leave a lot for a solo player to do. Either level up, group content, or endure the merchant scene.

6. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Actually Tartarus Maze wave battle, control points and Despair are the only group content available in the game currently, this game need raids and more group content. The last 4 realeases were about increasing the player power.... We got +3 enchants and marterworks, tiered artifacts, more attunement with double rings and bandit gear.... this is totally solo friendly!! All tier 1 2 3 4 6 7 and 8 zones are made for solo experience!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I don't think I mentioned UT.... I solo it too, but it is not my favorite place for both Exp and loot. Plus it is pretty boring.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  8. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

there is no forcing

9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Not all of us have all that stuff.. it costs a good ton of coin to find it on vendors and without it you can't solo UT or Tartarus.. then there is the PVP that you may not want to take part in.

10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Why I play Solo?

Well, gathering resources with a group of 8 players in SotA's small scenes will yield to something similar to wasting time... LOL!

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I see it abit different, I still have friends that I too play with time to time for specific content but for the most part I play solo a lot too. That said well many things have got more challenging between balance and changes I still find that I can still solo just takes me more time. Things have slowed down for the solo player but in the end I am slowly back to where I was pre changes so well the road head has gone up hill eventually that road once again through time will wear down to an easy walk as I build up and strengthen my legs. Well that is happening more new content will come out giving me a better scenic view in the long run. Everything will be soloable at some point. just as when all us started there was things that seemed impossible where today they are easy. :)

Numa likes this.
  12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Actually I agree with you. All those zones are good for solo play. The problem creeps in when you find that people are collecting up to ten million experience from the same zones in the same playtime as a solo player gets about 1 million or so experience. Higher adv levels open up more opportunities for good fights though and it seems that we are being offered high adv levels regardless of skill if we group. The solo person takes many, many more hours to accumulate the same experience. Let's take UT for example, a group player can begin earning there after just a few weeks or less playtime. The solo player cannot survive there long enough for efficient experience gain until a year or two of actually more than casual playtime. This is OK, the solo player does not complain about it. But when new content is designed to satisfy the needs of the group player now days, their adv level is so high that the scenes must have mobs with higher and higher health, or higher and higher resist and offense skill, and/or higher and higher numbers of mobs in the scene with all of the above. You reach a point that a solo player is swamped. I always hoped, alas, that they would have duplicate scenes, one for group and one for solo so at least we all could have similar game enjoyment, but seems that is not going to happen. Thus solo is left in the lerch.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This will change dramatically in R74.

Aldo, Anpu and Numa like this.
  14. Sylence

Sylence Avatar

I couldn't agree more with the OP I love to play in a world with multi-players, but I want to spend most of my time playing solo. Its really hard to do that in this game and make any progress.

15. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

There is no reason why great content can't be made for both group and solo play. A game struggling for population won't be well served by choosing to allow any part of what they do have languish for long while another is being comparatively well attended.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The original intent of this game.

17. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

99% of my play time is solo, there is very little content in this game that is too challenging for me to defeat alone. I've also been able to attenuate solo for well over a year. That hasn't changed in r74 either.

Aldo likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Whete do you attenuate solo in R74?

19. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

@Barugon, same places I did in r73 :p I tested and can confirm I can attenuate in multiple places solo. it isn't hard.

20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Sadly, I stopped playing regularly for the reason the OP outlines. Not only do I have to join a group in order to go most places, I am so inept that I can’t even pull my weight in a group. I’d have to be the one hiding behind a rock, and I don’t like being a charity case. :oops:

Fister Magee, Aldo, Numa and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.