1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

settlement forum sections

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Lars vonDrachental, Dec 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

While scrolling the content of the forum I wanted to suggest something to make it possible for groups to manage and display content and at first I was thinking about a possibility for guilds to have a personal area but as the management might be too time consuming for the devs I think instead settlements might be something better to start with as PoT ownership is not that often changing, there is defined number of settlements and ownership is always clear this might not take that much dev-time to create and maintain.

Basically every settlement is getting a separate subsection in this forum with the PoT owner as standard moderator while NPC and PRT do not have special mods. The areas could be named “name of the settlement (type of settlement)” e.g. Brittany (NPC).

The citizens of the settlements could use their settlement section to describe their settlement, announce events, local guilds could try to recruit new members or just post a link to their external forum.

The focus on settlements might make it more obvious what settlements are active or where is something gonna happen and would also make the current guild & town hall section look more organized.
    It’s just a rough idea but maybe worth trying, right?

Elgarion and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Discord, a much better option with voice ability and the ability for privacy as needed. No cost, easy set-up, and maintenance.
    Requires no dev time or involvement.

Elgarion likes this.
  3. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Indeed discord or other services are a possibility but I would say they are just good for internal communication…chitchat and not that good for presentation.

4. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think there a couple hundred POTs; if I am not mistaken.. they sold quite a few and new ones for Ep 2. I think a sub forum for each town would be way too big to manage. I agree with Discord. It may not be great for big posts and you have to find the info for towns, but it is easier for a POT owner to moderate as they see fit. You can link quite a bit on Discord as well.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

It is a good idea. Sorry that no matter what is suggested, you will always be told it is a waste of time, other ways are better. (From Players).

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Dude, folks have differing opinions, there should be nothing to apologize for. And yeah just what we need a limited dev team to do, is monitor another 300 odd forums and subforums. (Yes there are currently over 300 POTs)

7. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Oh no it is a great idea, just logistically, it would be kind of tough on the team. Sadly, as a POT owner, I only have one resident. So I don't really need a forum to keep in touch as well. Sean has the bigger though and would probably love a forum.

I think we probably have a lower number of guilds over POTs, but I am not sure there either.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Honestly, PaxLair's forums have always lacked much chatter, they were more informational/historical records of what we've done. ICQ, TS, others and now Discord, had/have voice ability which has taken over the landscape. The deal with Discord is we can combine many different things in one spot. A lot of folks don't want to run from site to site, hell 2/3 don't read forums no matter what.

So having voice ability, the ability to post pictures, files, links, being able to stream, decent privacy features.

It's free, though, as we do, you can get upgraded stuff. And no need for Devs to be involved at all.

Cirsee likes this.
  9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I can probably muster up a master listing that I keep updated, adding to my to-do list.

Lars vonDrachental and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.