Chris the economic impact of artifacts like Vex Wand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This is a non issue. He said the damage resistance, defensive capabilities will be less than real plate so I am thinking something akin to chain mail stats with the look of plate which by the way a competent caster CAN cast at ease in chain mail right now.

Numa likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

For the record, I don't have a problem with casters in full plate using elements consistent with the paladin/anti-paladin mythos. Life/Death & Sun/Moon are the two opposing elemental pairs which,. while strong, won't destabilize the delicate balance between magic & armor.

I'll suspend judgment till the actual plate armor set is out and the usual suspects start testing it to the limit :)

Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  3. Restless

Restless Avatar

Mages need plate for the same reason you need it. Bandit armor wearing archers. Fizzle does not effect any magic arrow and if lightning or other supporting skills are 140 the fizzle is minimal. If you hadn't noticed, nearly all of the top level magic pvprs have been wearing plate and most with shields since bandit armor was released. One is even heavy spec.

Dhanas and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I only use water and death magic as support skills, I have noticed and felt the Bandit Armor Archers do their dmg. A shame we melee are not getting an equivalent to bandit chain or plate to even the score a bit. My magic skills are only at 120 yet with chain I hardly fizzle except when in zerker stance. Thanks for the info @Restless. R/Boris

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

While I understand the economic impact faced by end game crafters such as Elrond. We need to consider the economic impact of the forgotten man. The choice to rely on player crafters to outfit and supply our virtual world has left the world mostly devoid of players. This decision by the Developers wasn't the only issue but is a significant issue for the cause of the forgotten man leaving SOTA.

The lack of meaningful loot has plagued SOTA since release. Many have complained about spending countless hours grinding away in game for a few pieces of gold and some rusty spoons. Killing boss mobs and receiving nearly nothing for the efforts. Risk versus Reward was exceptionally ridiculous. So the faceless man LEFT the game.

This created a situation where a dedicated few, such as Elrond to spend endless hours reaching peak levels of crafting efficiency and skill. Yet without a market to sell their wares, their efforts have minimal reward. While I see the graphs posted showing no sales, previous months of sales also declined with the population. I don't need to see those graphs, I know. Lesser crafters get no sales.

The cause of your problems Elrond isn't due to the hopeful introduction of meaningful loot (we will see) but rather the nearly dead economy within the game due to the departure of the forgotten man. If the Developer(s) turn this game around and the population returns, sales will increase even with the loot changes. You will focus on filling the niches and delivery of specifically designed crafts.

We also need to change the vast devotion needed to reach end game crafting. Many gamers do prefer to create their own gear as this is a crucial part of character development for many. There should be caps on crafting and for that matter levels. The endless player leveling in both adventuring and crafting is yet another critical game design flaw by the developers, but that is for another discussion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If its gonna be like the bandit armor, it wont require essence. The bandit set can be repaired with regular tailoring kits

Barugon likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The plate set he mentioned sounds like its the heavy armor version of Bone Armor, which is a light armor that is geared twards being tankier. Essentially the new plate said was described as a low-resist lower fizzle armor that allows you to use heavy skills and has more durability for masterworks. It will have a much lower resistance/weapon damage/focus/health bonus than regular platemail is able to achieve from what i understand

Numa and Boris Mondragon like this.
  8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Thanks for the info brother. The part I find disturbing is the fact that during the stream @Chris said it was for casters. Would be nice to throw us non casters a bone as well. R/Boris

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[​IMG]

Anpu and Arkah EMPstrike like this.
  10. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I spotted this, mentioned to Chris -- he's already pushed a fix in for this so it repairs like an artifact.

FrostII, Sara Dreygon, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

oh thank god.

Cordelayne and Elgarion like this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; Can you push another fix to make something for us in your face type melee? R/Boris

Cordelayne and Charon like this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Perhaps no dual vex wands will help? No dual anything is coming very shortly. He worked on that today ;)

15. Numa

Numa Avatar

that's fantastic news! more variety in weapon loads and helps the crafters as well. More sanity at last - the artifacts were never meant to be the end-all and be-all as far as equipment is concerned.

FrostII, Boris Mondragon and Elgarion like this.
  16. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

You know it might be nice if our crafting dev. could give us a good crafting vision deep dive for one of the upcoming Livestreams... Give us an idea what to expect and take some player feedback there. Your casual players is going to like crafted better as it is more readily available, but if it is significantly less superior to artifacts gear, then they won't bother.

FrostII, Anpu and Numa like this.
  17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Thank you, the dual vex wands do not bother me. Just an equivalent in either plate or chain to the bandit armor would go a long ways in helping us in the face melee types :)

Cordelayne and Brent S like this.
  18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother here is my view on the artefact thing and its power. As long as the crafters can make something that equals 90% of its power we are good. Keep the crafters busy and the gatherers busy as well and the economy balances out. My two cents on the arti/vs crafted items. R/Boris

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  19. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

I would go the route of being able to add more enchantments to crafted armor, example craft gems that can be socketed to other armor pieces that give you more stats. Instead of enhancing your magic skill trees rather than increasing other abilities. A gem that gives you a +20 str etc etc..... Something like that.

Sentinel2 and Boris Mondragon like this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

My two daggers, one an artifact and the other crafted by Fzol :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my case the two daggers are complementary, one for damage and the other for spell strength. Dual wielding both doesn't have many downsides.

The crux of the problem are artifacts that aren't balanced and are overwhelmingly more powerful than their crafted equivalents. Even if our avatars had 3 hands and could wield 3 high level crafted weapons - they still wouldn't match two of those ultra potent weapons of destruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.