the potion debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sway, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I run a death/earth/fire mage and always run out of focus. I don't think the skills are too focus intensive, but that I need better gear! I think the potions are a good solution, but they take so long to use again. Frustrating when I'm waiting for enough mana to take out a troll, and I gotta rely on drinking 2 potions to get back enough focus to finish the troll off... so let's improve potions, allow us to consume them faster.

But again, reading through this thread reminds me I need much better gear for my level, I've been using stuff from 2 years ago... time to upgrade!

Dark Tidings likes this.
  2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I can assure you, what ever change they make, focus will NOT be an issue for me :) no matter how I play :)

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Mages are pretty darn powerful at a distance and wands/staves can be "charged" with spell of 1 type: if they're charged, don't they go off under auto attack? Maybe they should if they don't now!!! Mages would never want an opponent to get close enough to do Physical damage, so that point is kind of mute... So regen potions/food may need to be more powerful...

This is a Good point, maybe there needs to be more info as to which Devotionals do what effect, for me I find it hard to know where to go to get the effect I want and many times it is to a far away place, so maybe the ability to fill an empty container or 2 with the effect, as they are fountains sorta speak....

4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

With sun ankhs I can charge mine to 2 using Free Attack (left click and hold to charge).. a skeleton in ravensmoor dodged 4 times then I finally hit it for 4 damage. That's based on pugilism and my skill in that is 105. With wands (80 bludgeon skill) I can also charge to 2 using Free Attack and I hit a patriarch bear in deep ravenswood for about 10-12 damage non crit. Auto-attack using the wands was 7-10 non crit melee damage.

I've tested the blistering ray proc (atenism jewels, atenism wands) with ring, ring and necklace for around 60% increased proc damage and the highest crit I did was aroud 140 damage and that was a rare high damage crit against a practice dummy. Not something I'd damage my wands over.

I heard Chris mention at one point there would be a wand or staff that might have an auto attack spell but I'm not sure if that made it into the game? Not aware of being able to charge a spell with a wand other than charging it using the deck as a locked glyph as you would with any other skill.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Numa likes this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Auto attack in those situations doesn't need to be a thing. Because as a mage you can use fire and whatever else ... As a mage with all the skills trained, you don't need an auto attack. That would be overkill. Immolation is one of the most powerful skills in this game. Its essentially a mages auto attack. If you decide not to use it, that's your problem.

With all the spells available at your disposal, you shouldn't need or want an auto attack. Its just totally unnecessary. If you have a focus pool above 1500 and you run out of focus, you're doing something wrong. There are so many amazing spells that work with any gear setup, you just need to experiment more with different spells.

6. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Yeah I like procs (chance on hit to trigger skill or spell) and I've used them in other games and enjoyed them. A mage channeling their magic into their weapon shouldn't be a foreign concept. Procs rely on a larger volume of attacks and auto attack makes them viable. It would add more build diversity imo. And I'd still like to use mesmerize effects over DoT's. As a mage/rogue type build I could get into melee range, attack with daggers, wands, ankhs, etc .. a few procs go off while I charge dazzling rays or sap, mez my opponent and stealth up and heal myself, etc.

Adam Crow likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What’s ur focus at currently? Magic will happen as you push the max up. 2200 feels great and my bar barley moves but it’s possible to break 2700 and the regen at that level is amazing but Ull need air shield to see it move much ;)

Fister Magee likes this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've always thought it was weird to have worthless potions in the game.

I know some people have focus problems though. Charge your glyphs to max, and unlock some as well, perhaps that will elevate you to the realm of "focus is never a problem".

I too can run out of focus, but it only happens when I beat relentlessly on a few glyphs, rather than stack and charge. In that case, I am not very focused in the RL, and pay the price in the game.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I use potions now and again as a reserve source of focus or health. I don't always have to pop one, but I can when I screw up a fight. I'd honestly do it in my blades build too, so, no I'm not for "mages" being forced to use pots.

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I sit around 900, I'm only level 105 and have very crappy gear, like +6 stuff or something around there. I should probably use Aetheric Feedback, and I'll make room for it in my deck.. I don't use air at all, so the air shield will never drain me. :) I also rarely use the fountain buffs, nor food, and should probably make a point to use them.

With the upcoming changes Chris is making, I'll have to see how different focus management is then... but I'll be getting better gear and such. Hopefully all's good after!

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

this should be this way if you think about it... as melee and range do significant dmg in auto attacks and charged then mages. if a mage has no focus there is nothing for them to do short of whack with a stick :) and unless a mage beefs up str to the max that stick is not going to hurt anything and more likely they will die.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I don’t disagree with mages should have more focus then melee. Just focus regen rates scale based on focus pool size hence mages regen faster also thier gear amplifies this as well. I only really worry about blanket focus nerfs. If all skills have increased focus costs the ones not stacking it will be punished the most. My melee tamer has 400 focus and that’s with a Futian cloth chest piece (I did say melee tamer). 400 base focus you can kiss base regen good bye. A blanket focus nerf would destroy this particular build. 4-6 attacks and I’m near 50% remaining focus (this is with 150s and 155s skill levels).

I don’t think melee types or archer for that matter has the focus runaway issue since they don’t stack as much as a mage class. Also I’m not talking about low - mid tiered mages and insane focus regen rates but those exceeding 2200 focus. When I’m running 2700 focus I have to use air shield just to see my bar drain.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Numa likes this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

So, last night I was playing *impaired* and used a potion and noticed it gave me about double focus than it usually gives me, but I didn't pay much more attention to it. Has anyone noticed about double effectiveness and maybe (hopefully) a shorter cooldown this release?

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I would suggest an experiment.

Drop the board and pick up another stick. Get two long swords with thrust and either rend or double slash bonus and good str/dexterity. Try to engage two at same time or more, mages/archers/melee in that priority. Fire warding gems on as much of your gear coupled with douse and high fireproof skill should minimize fire dmg which is their main spell.

Tactics spec will allow you to drop a coup on them at 35pct health so rend/slice and dice/coup and optional to say last rites as they bite the dust. Auto attack on if running low on focus then spam tap soul after the fight to get focus back. I use this tactic on the Rise where I go non stop for 2 hours at a time.
    I only use Bear Steak and potatoes and crocodile skewers along with combat focus regen and adv level blessing.

Just a thought of a faster way to kill/level. If you ever see me using a shield, shoot me in the face with a bazooka “grins”. Oh don’t forget body slam, nothing better than slamming them, stepping behind them and killing them before they come out of the stun.

R/Boris/El Pirata

Numa likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...e-on-balancing-efforts-for-r74-and-q1.161414/

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Great stuff and definitely worth trying with my dagger build.

Wouldn't use a blade with a shield myself but I do have a polearm+shield+combat pet build that I need to test. The shield move Dig-in gives a defense bonus to both you and your pet. Plus shield bash stuns the mob so your battle companion can maul it.

That's my theory, need to see if it works.

17. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

As mentioned a few times in this thread, and I have asked for over the years is wand and staff should be ranged attacked items that use a fuel to add charges so it can me used in much of the same way an archer uses arrows for a charged or autoattack.

Maybe the fuel or charges could be gem fragments. With the type of fragment being associated with the appropriate school if magic. I would not add any special affects like stuns or slows but maybe the graphic could associated with the school to look cool.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Numa likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think that if the charges are ice in nature then a hit should definitely slow the target. Dots if fire charges are used. Charges should be craftable just luke arrows are.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  19. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

The problem I have with that is the different trees all have a a ranged skill that does leave an effect. So for ice or air. Having spells that slow and stun on top of wands that can also do the same would be op cc

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

For that dagger build, poison , haste potion and fleet flute along with auto attack are fun. R/Boris

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.