The happy medium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elnoth, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

Have to agree. It would be much better if people who'd rather craft than adventure have a path that would enable them to spend more of their time crafting than fighting from the get go.

Sharok Alurien and majoria70 like this.
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The only counter-argument to this would be that the price of beetles would come down. Which, I think, is a good thing. Younger crafters have a harder time getting into the crafting business to compete with the current pricing, IMHO. There needs to be some balance here. Beetles should be a bit cheaper, and your next point makes it so those "legendary components" get more expensive. Beetles are like a tier 2 material, and I don't know if they should be so expensive.

"Legendary" components would work well. I'm for making different ones useable by each of the crafting professions, so that instead of using them just to Masterwork/Enchant, a tailor needs one for a piece, the carpenter needs a different one for a piece, and the blacksmith needs yet another type.

3. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Perhaps you meant "reshape" vs "salvage", and socket them, unless you are suggesting a change to how artifacts are repaired as well and revamping all recipes...

This sounds similar to what I was trying to suggest as well, that an artifact socket be created for all wearable items and weapons, the socketing skill is located in each skill tree that was required to masterwork the crated item, and that the socketing has a success rate associated with the level of artifact and masterwork skill in that tree...and perhaps less work content for the Team.

We could call them Charms or Amulets...

This is where salvaging comes in, as you could have a chance to receive the reshaped artifact or an essence when the completed item is salvaged...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I got my player hat on right now... just curious, could things just be divided out in regards of what "best in slot" is by category to let people of all varieties feel there are gear slots to fill that is more achievable with their play style?

Feel free to disregard, but here's my thought (and I'm sure its not original and could quite possibly mean I get stuck in the back with a pitchfork).

IDEA:
    • Back, Necklace, Ring, Ring, Belt and Off-hand Only items can be heavy with artifact love.
    • Helm, Chest, Legs, Gloves, Boots can be heavy with Crafter love.
    • 1H and 2H weapons can be heavy with fancy component crafter items (obtainable fancy Handles, Hilts, Blades, Hammer Heads, etc.)
    Alrighty. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Please be gentle.

5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Not really a good thing... granted as a crafter id love to get all my mats for free or as cheap possible ..but ..as someone that probably bought 10k + beetles so far in my career as a crafter i can tell you the ones who sell them in a large majority are new players ... its a great source of gold for them ....to gear up and move on to more exciting things like rise, tartarus so on.... its a chain that when broken new players suffer as well as veteran gatherers . Theres no other way for new players to make gold in the begining other then selling raws to crafters ...make raws worthless or not need it and theyll come into the game and scracth their heads on how to make some gold to buy gear .

No to 1 and 3 for reasons i already stated in my previous post . I dont want the gear i craft replaced with better dropped versions /components ...i want to enhance it ...theres very little room for compromise ...because...once you have a warlock necklace ingame ...a wisdom ring , a vex , a spear with mossy , a thunder branch, a bandit armor suit, we can no longer talk about crafting offering the best items ingame .

I realise its easier to just make an artifact, have it drop ingame, with 10 x stats better then its crafted counterpart..rather then creating a well oiled system where crafted gear and artifacts can complement or enhance each other .

Sharok Alurien likes this.
  6. Elgarion

With that idea, you'd still be able to enhance 1 and 3 via masterwork and enchants, 3 with MANY fully crafted components still, but just not as much as 2 which is the bulk of the stuff. Kinda gotta thing of everyone's tastes here. This gives love to people who adore artifacts, fully crafted, and augmented crafted items on a continual basis and Chris would know to not be heavy with artifacts outside of certain slots. I really doubt there's going to be an answer here that is going to favor 1 flavor thought. Could be, but I doubt it. Lots of mixed thoughts in this room for sure.

7. Elgarion

And please keep in mind, I'm speaking as a player here... I'm not going to try to influence a change based on my opinion. I guarantee Chris has greater respect for the opinions of you guys over mine in regards to crafting. I'm just popping in here with a devil's advocate, middle of the road, compromise type solution that is easy to implement. He'll no doubt be developing things on a continual basis. This just steers certain types of development into certain slots. Just an idea, but thanks for not stabbing me with a pitchfork ;) (Yet...)

Anpu likes this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Implement reasons for us to sell great gear to NPC's without taking it in the shorts, that great gear goes into the loot table. That was the original plan. That can include things other than gold rewards, as has been said for years. XP, titles, etc.

That would have fixed the whole issue years ago, as great gear existed long before artifacts.

Artifacts were a band aid whipped up in 1 week, and ripping off bandaids is this months flavor.

Unfortunately the band aid was coated in poison, and is killing off another part of the body.

Anpu and Sharok Alurien like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, and the super obvious one that is being neglected to be mentioned. If we're going to gear creep to the heavens in artifact power, at least do the same in crafted power. Saying "from now on artifacts are going to be the best gear in half the slots, that's a compromise right?" just sucks for anyone crafting. No, it's not a compromise.

"We took away everything, and are giving you back half. Good compromise!"

The crafting experience is bad enough as it is just due to the poor UI. Saying "now you have half the stuff to craft, enjoy!" Well you can probably sympathize, if not empathize.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Components

Not really . I play the game for like 3 years as a crafter .... In 3 years i dont know if i crafted more then 3 weapons with mossy handle ...i would have loved to craft more but the reality is if i spend time killing Torc to get hammers and a small chance to a mossy handle means im not spending my time gaining craft xp and further enhancing my craft skills . So the components stuff is really for people who spend all their ingame time farming creatures ..they usually have mediocre craft skills in the 110-130 ...and when they get said components they usually craft em themselves or try to sell them for huge prices .... that means someone like me will have very limited to no access to these components ...

Enchanting Artifacts

My current enchant armor lvl is 148 ... Do you know how many people pm me /month to enchant their artifacts ? 1 sometimes 2 ...and i do it for free ( although some leave a tip i do no require it ) ... why so few people ? Because anyone can do lvl 100 - 110 enchant in just few days of sitting at a craft table making potions ...and since enchant level is pretty much worthless .... crafters like me will again have nothing to gain from having a piece of crafted gear replaced with a better artifact version ..in the hopes that maybe 4 people instead of 2 will pm me for my free service .

Heres a thought ..why not do both ...add stuff that enhances crafted gear and components to 1 artifact item!!! A compromise i could live with . So if i salvage a legendary vex wand i get 1 or anoher ... a legendary strap with super stats ...or a an item with super stats i can attach to my already crafted wand .... we do that for all artifacts and crafted gear still has a purpose and can remain on par with their artifacts counterpart.

11. Elgarion

So you're saying nobody likes the Mossy Green Handle concept or the Artifact concept?

12. Elgarion

But doesn't this allow for pure adventurers to provide input into the crafting system without needing to also be gatherers? And making it only 1-2 slots where they could, isn't this giving them SOME love but not all? (as opposed to letting them find bindings, straps etc to invade other areas)

Do you think players prefer to have some things they can provide for themselves a little more quickly than others? Personally, I enjoy the fact that I don't need to seek out someone for everything. That there are some facets to my gear that I take care of myself, which honestly is the left side of the character sheet for the most part.

(Disclaimer, just gathering information and input from the masters and asking questions)

Anpu likes this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

You know what we lack as far as crafting and artifacts are concerned? We don't have the ability to research and study the artifact so we can come up with effects and bonuses that can be applied to crafted weapons, armor or equipment so they can approximate the potency of artifacts.

Salvaging the artifact to extract some rare component that can be socketed into crafted items is just a crude version of the idea above. Real crafters should be able to reverse engineer some artifact qualities somehow.

majoria70 and Sharok Alurien like this.
  14. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Problem is ..its giving adventurer ALL THE LOVE ... making being an adventurer more important then being a crafter ... all they gotta do is assemble the damn thing and they got the best item ingame ...while me as a crafter i have to gather 100 hours to make 200 spears out of which 2 will have amazing stats but they will never come close to a mossy handle spear .

I think the biggest problem with the game right now is everyone is so selfsuficient in all areas it totally removes the idea of actually having an ecosystem where players work together to create something .... I got no issue with people not needing other people if thats the kind of game we want to have. ...But if you want my opinion i think people should be able to take care of their needs on a moderate level with a moderate result ....and if they want the best stuff they should go to someone who is the best .... making everyone the best at everything its a poor strategy ..( and thats a discussion for another thread about the ingame economy for crafted goods )

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Here is my opinion and yes it is controversial.... I think the crafting system is awesome but the loot has turned just about everyone off to the game. The previous system was amazing for those who enjoy being a crafter but terrible for players who love the lottery of finding something that they can use that’s a upgrade. This is the lowest excitement for loot drops in a game I’ve ever played.

I feel like for both groups to be happy you need to find cool and awesome stuff and need real crafters to take it to the next level. The problem is there is little to no reward for pushing skills as a crafter high. You need 110 and 120 level mw and enchants to reward high tier crafters 100s are easy to get in today’s game.

Edit: while I’m talking crafting this is to the crafting developer. Dude seriously look at gemming and weapons enchants. I’m not talking about attunement one for wands but all the rest. These are super expensive low yield and much worse than main roll stats. These have been pitiful since creation and there still terrible. Remove durably hits and they MIGHT be worth taking I’m not sure to be honest thier proc rate is dumb and I’d rather have a constant base stat.

Numa and Elrond like this.
  16. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I agree .

Trying to remain relevant as a crafter is proving to be more and more dificult with each release. From beating unfair rngs for exceptionals , enchanting and masterworking to having to compete with artifacts ..... its getting so difficult and so expensive .All i do is about crafting ...i built a town for crafters .. ... all im saying is keep us busy and keep us in the game ... we dont want to become extinct .Find a way Chris.

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ok, question of the day then, is there another game we can look to where crafters are valued the way we were a while ago, and loot is great too?

Seems like the "crafted gear in loot" is not going to get a second look, so forgetting that idea, does a game exist we can borrow ideas from?

18. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Albion Online..... the black market vendor pay good money for high end crafted gear, sometimes more than de player market place... and it shows up as a loot for adventures.

All weapons and armors including artifacts are crafted in the game and requires gathers, refiners and crafters in the system.

Anpu, Elnoth, Sharok Alurien and 2 others like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I cannot think of another game that has even close to the level of improvements possible to what this game offers.

the only solution I could offer is have gear drop with rng components like +5 to thrust skill etc

If I can find 6 pieces of gear with +5 thrust it might make a fun set then someone will need to add mw and enchants. Makes my 150 thrust skill 180 etc.

rarer pieces could be the spec pieces..

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And they don't have runaway inflation?

I think that's the big worry of the devs, if the NPCs will pay more than peanuts for gear, the economy will blow up. Only adventurers are allowed to pull gold out of thin air.

So how does Albion not have hyper inflation? Big gold sinks somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.