Confusion is one of the most un-fun mechanics in this game...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I personally not met Envy Angel so far but reading your posts this sound more like a bug because I guess constantly changing movement directions aren’t intended just as constant stuns wouldn't be intended.
    I also cannot remember that the mentioned swamp fog is resetting the confusion constantly. As far as I remember once you found the new direction setting you could move though the gas until the confusion ends...right?

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

The Cabalist Dolus would constantly cast confusion spells everytime I came up against him before. Guess the Envy Angel is partly patterned on him.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

....which reminds me that Dolus caught me twice under the bridge of a siege scene with his non-stop confusion spells. Since he was ON the bridge there was no way I could get at him. Chaotic step saved my bacon twice by teleporting me out of range.

Became a believer in the Chaos tree after that.

4. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I feel safe from confusion as I currently use a pet to get the aggro and myself use a bow from range.
    Pets seem to be immune to confusion (or adapt).
    For melee I assume its a real pain though as the recast rate seems pretty high.

Anpu and Numa like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Just adding my voice to the tumult of confusion-haters.
    Its a horrible mechanic that ranges from 'annoying' for people with great manual dexterity who have learned how to adapt via certain combinations of strafing/mouse movement, all the way to "completely rage-inducing" for the less dextrous or "impossible" for people playing with any sort of disability issue where controlling the character isn't easy to begin with without the exacerbation of having the directions scrambled. This mechanic does not make fights more interesting, or even more difficult - it makes scenes with this mechanic avoided completely as even if you use skills to clear it, it just gets put right back on you again.

It also doesn't make sense from a logical/realism perspective either. If I'm "confused" that may mean that I'm not thinking clearly and not sure what I'm doing but I don't think its safe to say I've forgotten how to walk.

Barugon, FrostII and Numa like this.
  6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

As already said I do not have a problem with confusion as it is but what would be a more liked version of this effect?
    - Just a exchange of two direction? (As a not that random version of the current mechanic. left<>right or forward<>backward)
    - Your avatar is moving or fighting on his own? (For some seconds you have no control and the avatar is e.g. walking 10 m to the right and cast a spell out of your deck on his way.)
    - That your attacks/skills hit a random target? (At least your current enemy and you would be in the confusion-target-pool and additional every rabbit, barrel or other attackable kind of thing in range.)
    - Your skills are not doing what they should? (So to say your avatar thinks he is casting flame fist as you clicked at this symbol but instead he is casting a meteor shower. Instead of using a specific skill you use a random skill out of the pool of learned skills.)

Numa likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Doesn't purify and purify burst work any longer? As a support role I would spam that for the group. I just locked a copy of it on a slot to keep spamming it but it's been awhile. I set it up in one of my decks. It helped with giant mushrooms.

Anpu and Numa like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its a good point, and honestly, I don't know what would be a 'more liked' version.
    Losing any sort of control over your character, in a game where controlling your character and making decisions about where to move, what button to hit, is kinda...the entire point/core part of gameplay, is going to be frustrating. Having it on "permanently" for the duration of a fight is just ...not necessary, and in most cases, if something casts confuse? You're confused. Until its dead, or you manage to confuse-walk-stumble out of its range and disengage. I could see it working like a stun, where its a short duration 'ahhh everything's gone wrong' for a few seconds, enough to interrupt the flow of what you're doing, would be a lot more palatable.

Another option is it just replaces all your skill icons on your deck with question mark symbols for the duration of the effect, so you can at least mitigate it with muscle memory or build a deck to try and minimize its impact on you if you know you're going to be in a confusion-heavy scene. That to me would be more indicative of being 'confused' (as opposed to clumsy/drunk like the current effect).

I've seen other examples of disorientation in other games where it forces your character to 'dance' or other random things but again, we're talking short duration interruptions, that are clearable and/or preventable by appropriate buffs/gear/preparation. I think a big part of the hatred of this skill is not only the awkwardness and clunkiness of its effect, but also that there's no way to effectively mitigate it. Clearing it with skills you end up with it reapplied almost instantly in most cases, if you can even clear it, which in many cases you can't.

FrostII and Numa like this.
  9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Fun fact, here.

To me, confusion was one of the most sucessful feature in this game. Of course I have cursed about it but it was something which rewarded pure skill and there are very few of those in this game.

As an archer who doesn't rely on firew... magic, every keyboard remapping forced me to retry every four directions in a second in order to understand the inversions quickly enough to avoid the cabalists punishing hits (yes my build didn't allow me to bear their wrath, willingly because using every shield of the game was not my version of what's fun). That was adrenaline, which is rare and my version of what's fun. And no, we don't lose control. Sometimes the remapping is frequent, sometimes it's not. The problem was more annoying for melee but I personaly know two melee warriors who did very well with it too.

That alone was a game changer when everybody simply try to min-max simple stats & stuff and sleep over their keyboard after the buff phase when they get the most effective build.

Too bad to see that I'm almost alone to think like that. But hey, when I get insulted of being a noob by a player (and I'm very nice to call him that way) on those forums who acts like he found the holy grail simply by reaching the highest level of farming (and exploiting), I suppose that everything is normal... at least this moment on the forums was a great moment of fun despite the decaying state of the game. Ha !

So yes, right. Just remove everything that gives a vague illusion of coherence because it's annoying. And keep the ice + fire + everything aoe thing. Let people combine buffs without any logic. Just use a catapult to balance everything. And sure the game will look so great after that. Sorry for the sarcasm but well... it is what it is. So if I had to summarize : no, personaly, I don't think that removing or changing this would be a good idea. At all... maybe there is a problem with this Envy Angel but not with confusion itself.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Barugon likes this.
  10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

hmm there are a lot of things to get you out of confusion. Its suppose to be annoying that is why it exists to add challenge. That said I have had only a few issues with it myself and rely on skill to try and get around it. there are only a few creatures, plants and pvpers that use it so its not that big of an issue but understandable that it annoy's some. from my prospective there is nothing wrong with it, do we not get CC protection after 3 stuns or confusions?

I don't run with salts or purify, when confused I quickly use my fingers to determine at least one direction and hold that key until it changes well trying to keep alive and or in the fight. I know at lower levels its harder if the mobs hit hard, but that goes away later when you are tough enough to take the few hits. Trolls are always fun to dance around when confused. If everything was easy then things would be boring. I dont like dragons shooting fireballs down on me, I dont like undead because I am death mage but I still live with all these things because with out them there would be no challenge. Envy is a boss like creature and meant to be a little harder so I would expect her to be tougher with tricks :)

11. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I Would rather have more tactical and interesting stuff like:
    - Speed Modifiers broken in combat except for songs
    - CCs more consistent and solid
    example: why purify removes cc? a Purge should clean them, Purify is usually related to health malus, plagues etc

Confusion + Fisiologic sota instance unsyncs = Nightmare

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, we can't all be lucky enough to be born with full mobility in our hands. #AbledPrivilege

It would probably go from hated to only annoying if clearing it gave you a bit of immunity, and if salts didn't have a stupidly long cooldown compared to how often confusion can be recast. (If mobs get to spam confusion, why can't I spam its remedy?) Or, if like cabalists where it's a constant aura, make it a really small radius rather than half (or all of, in the case of Lost Vale) the damn scene.

Numa likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or, make it last just a second or two, and give the mobs an 8-10 second cooldown. It messes with you, makes kiting trickier, but isn't instant death if you have poor manual dexterity.

(...and why do I have a sneaking suspicion Chris will react to that by saying, "wait, it doesn't work that way now?")

14. oplek

oplek Avatar

I know, right!?

I'm glad you're onboard with me, for adding hunger/third mechanics, removing the global banking, adding the control point blocks back in, removing teleport and recall scrolls, portals, re-implement death decay, etc. Gotta add that challenge back in! (I'm being sarcastic about half that list, and the other half not).

15. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

There is no privilege here. Only training and exercising. I was not born with the way I use my hands now. Besides, almost everyone got two hands with 5 fingers on it, including two very useful thumbs. I think that way of thinking like "the game has to deal with every handicap in the world" is probably not the best way to make it fun. In my mind, at least, even if I can understand how handicaps can be frustrating. If the player is not the one who has to adapt, there is no game to play with, I think. But well, at least your proposal after that seems reasonable to me.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, those clear confusion.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was being overly sarcastic with the hashtag. (Apologies if it came off as angry.) I don't expect games to cater to my damaged nerves, but that's not going stop me pointing out when a mechanic is specifically more difficult because of it. It's also why I really hate all the nerfs; I'm already nerfed to begin with. Also why I hate that free attack and mouse movement aren't compatible; I struggle with WASD movement, and losing that to free attack nullifies any advantage to charging attacks. (Also also why I like to play solo- hard to play and use the chat at the same time.)

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Confusion is an extremely annoying game mechanic and is not fun. I particularly hate confusion when you are surrounded by fawns!

They need to fix the AI on these darn things so that once you kill any kobolds/satyrs in the area they stop attacking you. I hate when they chase after me casting confusion saying, "Please don't hurt me!" It is really annoying, especially since if i do attack them I take the virtue hit.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah, confusion is aggravating!

Numa, Anpu and Fister Magee like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I gather we're supposed to, but in practice, doesn't seem to be the case. I've found trying to use any sort of mitigation (such as purify/whatever) it just gets right back on you, over and over, so trying to clear it is pointless, instead you gotta learn to do the 'confusionwalk'. And yes, its possible to get pretty good at doing so. Doesn't mean its not an annoying feature that doesn't really add 'challenge' so much as 'annoyance'.

If this is what it actually did, I don't think we'd see so much hate on it. In a siege at least, you're in perpetual confusion if you're anywhere remotely near one of the cabalists that does it. Clearing it it comes straight back.

Yes, players can "adapt" - players adapt to a lot of things, or accept a lot of things, doesn't mean that those things are actually good/enjoyable/necessary mechanics...just that players are willing to put up with it.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah I think purify should last a few seconds to make it more useful. Our strategies need to be accounted for. I thought that was the point. If we have to think about what we're doing and I feel knowing how to play your character well is a good thing, then our strategies need to make a difference.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.