Still an inadequate "fix": CTRL to move glyph in hotbar

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Rinaldi, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Again, the "accidentally dragging glyphs off the hotbar" issue had been going on for years, and the "fixes" that have been attempted have all been inadequate, including the latest "fix". The following comments mainly apply to those who use the mouse-click to activate glyphs.

Before the latest "fix", all glyphs could be accidentally dragged off the combat hotbar, including "locked" or "unlocked" glyphs (unlocked glyphs being those that are cycled into the slot).

After the latest attempted "fix":
    1. Incorrect/inaccurate description next to the check-box - The text states "Require Control key to drag toolbar in combat". First, neither the options window nor the player guide for SOTA use the term "toolbar" for the glyph-containing heads-up-display, they use the term hotbar. The terms should be consistent across all text for the game. Second, when the option is activated , pressing CTRL does not prevent dragging of the "toolbar", it actually prevents dragging of glyphs off the combat hotbar (but glyphs on the utility hotbar can still be dragged off). So, the text next to the check box should state "Require Control key to drag glyphs from the combat hotbar".
    2. When "press CTRL to drag" is activated, it prevents the dragging of all glyphs on the combat hotbar. This is a problem for those who want to combine glyphs during combat (by dragging one glyph onto another). The way this option should be implemented: "Require Control key to drag locked glyphs from the combat hotbar". This would allow me to combine unlocked glyphs, but prevent me from dragging the locked glyphs (so the locked glyphs are actually locked into the slot and can't be shuffled or moved!). For those who want to prevent movement of all glyphs (i.e. they will not be combining glyphs with the mouse), then make another option to "Require Control key to drag unlocked glyphs from the combat hotbar" (when both options are checked, then dragging of both locked and unlocked glyphs will require CTRL to be pressed). [Note: in the old example pic below, I use the option "Lock editing of hotbars" which I think should be replaced by the options I describe above.]
    3. The glyphs on the utility bar can still be dragged. Add the option "Require Control key to drag glyphs from the utility hotbar".
    4. The recent "fix" does not solve the issue of the hotbar accidentally being dragged around during combat. This issue occurs when the entire hotbar GUI is dragged from its current screen position because the sword or shovel icon is accidentally clicked and dragged. The entire hotbar GUI must be capable of being locked to a certain screen location.
    5. When "CTRL to drag glyph" is activated, it also prevents you from moving glyphs in the edit-deck window. When i have the edit deck window open, I should be able to edit the deck freely, which includes being able to drag the glyphs around. There is no need to prevent dragging of glyphs in this window. Again, the way this option should be implemented: "Require Control key to drag locked glyphs from the combat hotbar".
      It should not prevent dragging of glyphs in the edit-deck window.
    Other suggestions regarding the hotbars:
    1. Add Shortcut from hotbar to the deck creation/edit window.
    2. Add Ability to activate/deactivate auto-attack directly from the combat bar - instead of remembering the hot-key or finding the setting buried in the options menu, I think that it would be more user friendly to set this directly on the combat bar. perhaps include it as an options in the "cog" menu shown by the red arrow below.

[​IMG]

@Chris @Ravalox @Elgarion

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Sentinel2, Elnoth, Lazlo and 5 others like this.
  2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I tried with CTRL .
    For users of combos it is awful ;)
    I deactivated it.

Elwyn and Rinaldi like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

To help explain the issue of dragable various UI windows while a player is playing using specifically a mouse when in combat (and accidentally mis-clicking on any of the draggable UI windows on the screen), here are some images:

Here is the screenshot of the average new user to Shroud of the Avatar who uses the keyboard for movement and combat.
    [​IMG]

Here is the screenshot of the average new user to Shroud of the Avatar who uses the mouse for movement and combat (due to mis-clicking the various UI windows and combat bar while in the heat of combat).
    [​IMG]

Rinaldi likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What in your 2 pics are you referring to, @Rinaldi ? What am I looking for ?

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I like this :) I linked out to the team, curious if we'll have a nibble. (Drinks beer, waits on fish to bite)

Anpu and Rinaldi like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Aw, man. I saw this in the patch notes and was excited, thinking it was finally fixed.

Sentinel2 and Anpu like this.
  7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Great feedback Rinaldi and very well explained!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.