How to put Inky on NPC's and not cover the place in ugly

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

On the stream today @Chris said that if they put a crafted Inky NPC out there there will be hundreds of those, and not as many of the fancy store ones.

That's the wrong approach. We already have dozens of NPCs, maybe hundreds if you count pets (pets can talk, why not?)

So here's the method:

Alchemists can create a spell that they put on an NPC that gives the NPC the power of speech. They can now speak the smallest number of characters, the one you planned to put on a crafted (ugly) NPC. I would suggest having to use gold (coins) in the recipe, as well as reagents. We are doing alchemy after all!

In the Crown Store is a more powerful spell, that adds to the number of characters already available, just like bank slots. So you're not buying a one time thing, you're adding characters (just like dungeon points) until you get it where you want.

Optional: Let crafters add the spell multiple times, with each additional application requiring 4x the previous. As with bank slots, this encourages us to get some using resources, but quickly makes COTO's the more affordable method.

There's no need to make more NPCs, we need to give voice to our existing ones.

Numa, craftymethod and Lained like this.
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I think only having a few NPC's capable of dialogue with very limited appearance would be a mistake in the long run, I hope crown shop exclusivity of game features is kept to a minimum. Crown shop should be the exception not the norm?

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Blending is the best IMO. The bank works well as a model, you can cash in gold or COTOs. At some point, the COTOs become the only logical move because of the price for gold upgrades.

And yes, just having a few NPCs is a huuuuuge mistake. We are already loaded. Every NPC we have should be able to talk. Imagine if all new deco only worked in the new Lord of the Isle house.

Potential for major ball droppage here, I hope it doesn't happen.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

[Context menu:] "give this NPC people person/customer service training, x Cost, x remaining on this lot"

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hehe. Well, there's all sorts of dialog you might give them, but yeah.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Actually that's probably right, maybe skip the crafting altogether and just do it exactly like banks. Gold or COTO's.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

While finally watching the stream today, what I got from Chris was he wanted to address the lack of any npc with the scripting function in the game currently. That’s what he was referring to.

Currently only one pledge rewards npc have this function.

As for further discussion on what further development of inky in the game, I love your idea of how to make all the existing NPC’s players have, get access to the script function. But I don’t think we will be there for a while.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My impression was there will be a crafted, ugly NPC. Maybe I heard it wrong, but what I heard was "if we make a crafted ugly one, then the streets are lined with ugly."

If I heard right, then they are just thinking in totally wrong direction. If I heard wrong then no biggie.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

He said if they make a crafted version and it was terribly ugly, they would be all over. They will try to make that crafted one not so bad looking.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Which makes no sense. In a well thought out design, we're not crafting NPCs, Inky is getting applied to existing NPCs. Monitize/golditize it how you like.

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The equivalent of crafted mannequins is "NPC's with short character limit", not "one hideous new NPC".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.