Reset to 0 and temporary xp cap in Ep2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Wipe would help the game.

imo

2. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Stopped playing last September, I think.
    One reason is the endless grind skill system.
    I am at around AL 120 but even there I felt forced to do more grinding because my Avatar was getting stronger and stronger.
    When I backed SotA, LB said: no grind. But it turns out, this is the grindiest game I ever played.

Dantuin, Chatele, Gregg247 and 4 others like this.
  3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I think the game should be building up and really we shouldn't even consider episode 5 to be the end. There doesn't have to be an end point to this game it can keep getting better as long as we keep playing and supporting it. At episode 5 we should be hitting adventure level 200 and they should raise the top from there on. For new players they can do just what world of warcraft does give boosts to the new players to a starting adventure level that makes sense for the episode. Players can choose to start from the beginning or take a boost. This is best practice in long running mmos and will work here. Knocking us back will alienate a lot of current players and would certainly change my mind about buying more cities beyond the next one I bought for episode 2.

By Tor, Chatele, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Avatar

There's a lot of grinding involved indeed. Let's hope Chris is really trying to smooth the power curve.

Not sure how many players will continue playing and supporting as time goes by. Even Vlad is no longer that optimistic about the game.

Hence my later post of maybe making players in Ep2 start at level 80 (The new Level 0). High level players can keep their levels. There will be no need to spend resources to make T1-T5 zones. Content can start from T5+.
    More of these scenes can be catered to the casual players in Ep1 too. Most MMOs have a bigger player base. SOTA is.... erm.... not as crowded.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Bwahahaha. No.

Well I would say that's not Mac + Co. problem but that of the imagined new/returning player.

Again, no.

Let's just do it like WoW and all other MMOs. Sell tokens that set the EXP where ever they should be with finishing EP 1 *shrugs*
    But don't stop other people from being better that you. Either get over the fact that there will always be hardcore players. Or get better yourself.

OzzyOsbourne and TaiKee Vetrae like this.
  6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would say for the most avatars grinding is all their "joy" and removing their progress will make them just angry. I do not think any kind of reset will be good for the game (at least currently) and it would do more damage than help.
    Of course a reset would be an option but I think too just as if the combat system would dramatically change.
    E.g. if we would be limited to just GM the skills of the few schools we are specialized in or the total number of skill lvls get limited or something like that...but I do not see that coming.

As far as I remember at least in the beginning most scenes where low lvl and I guess the devs expected that if a player is not strong enough to follow the story quest he would travel from scene to scene to explore the world and do side quest until he is strong enough to take the next step of the story quests. But nearly no one was doing that and instead they start grinding in the next best scene that seems to fit. I think the impression that most avatars will never visit many of the t1-3 scenes made them stop to create quest in those scenes but maybe this was even a false impression as they were looking at avatars that had tested their game a long time and not many prefer to do the same quests and exploration over and over again.
    I would say too that questing was never competitive to grinding as the rewards for following a quest are not even close to grinding...and I guess if someone new is asking what to do to get some exp nearly no one will tell him to do some quests. ;)
    I do not think that will change that much anymore but with the right tools they are already trying to implement I guess players can create quests that could fill the gap with constant quest-food for those who prefer this kind of entertainment…but I guess player made quests will never be able to offer any exp and can just be seen as relief from the monotony of grind.

As far as I understood EP2 will already not contain any T0-4 scenes and will start at T5 but most scenes will have a much higher difficulty.
    And thinking about the upgrade of everyone to lvl 80...I think I wouldn't like that...maybe as a possibility if you can chose to either play EP1 or instead select a predefined outcome to instantly start with EP1 complete and maybe a predefined skill set to start with. This way you would miss a lot of the story but I do not know if that many pay attention to it.
    I guess raising the exp gain of everyone below lvl XX by a multiplier that is helping them to lvl faster or adjust the quest rewards of EP1 to give them larger amounts of exp for completing a story quest part would be an option too...this way they would still have to play the EP1 story but would be way faster in reaching the needed levels and at best without the need to grind but on the other hand this could be also bad as once they reach EP2 they would realize that they need to grind a lot and this would be a complete different game play.
    I guess changing nothing could be even less problematic...either you level slowly until you are strong enough or join a grind group and avoid dying while the others are leveling you. Of course this kind of system is wack but sadly anything else could be even worse in our environment. :(

Nick and Violet Ronso like this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Can we please just stop with the Mac and co, I am not your enemy and I do not like the way this is misleading some to think its a them vs me and my co. IF I was really against anyone below me or not one of the chosen people I choose to play with, I would NEVER share my knowledge. Those of you who know me know this is not the case. I share my knowledge, I try and help everyone, higher and lower level people. Really wish chris would have said who the new top player is so this kind of mentality would be turned against them and not me.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You are simply the Popular one, much Like Elrond for Crafters :p

But I agree and vouch for what you are saying, you share your knowledge. This guy will even take the time to reply in private/ingame to questions about builds, and even HIS OWN BUILD. Any player with the sole goal to be #1 would never share his own build, unless it is already underperforming and he is changing to a new one.

But also, I don't think people are saying "Mac and co." in a negative way, you are one of the elite, no matter what you say, and most people who want to play the most optimal way for experience grinding will most likely look at what the elite are doing, and do the same thing, it's in their nature!

King Robert, Nick, Asclepius and 3 others like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah that's pretty insane BS.
    But always remember: Envy is something you had to work hard for ;-)

Nick, Sean Silverfoot and Mac2 like this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I can't count the number of times I've seen Mac answer questions on the Universal channel. Newbie questions, and quite a few high level queries about equipment and difficult zones. All answered fully and in depth.

Not many of the originals left, let's all be excellent to each other and have a good year :)

11. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

I WAS gonna say that anyone who has spoken to Mac in universal chat or received help will know he's as intimidating as a wet paper towel (sorry Mac!!). He's too nice. That was a ridiculous comparison to make.

Feeyo, Nick, Sentinel2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Starting over makes no sense. We will have 5 economies in 5 episodes when episode 5 rolls out in the future? Do we really want that?

Also, been playing ESO the last couple months. How they handled it is there are area's I run from when traveling in distant lands. There are area's I can take on no problem. So far it seems to work fine. I don't see why SOTA couldn't do something like that for future episodes. Newbies can work their way up while vet's can continue moving up. There is only one economy to deal with.

If we really split things up, I'd have to pick which episode to work from for regular gaming. I see that being a problem for many people.

Chatele, Nick and Violet Ronso like this.
  13. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Every once in a while someone come where with this suggestion....this is not a game with seassons and SOTA is persistent since 2016.
    If you want a fresh experience, feel free to delete your character and start over again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Chatele likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Interesting input, thanks! This seems pretty active. I'll just move it to general discussion instead of locking it as a wishlist item.

Nick, Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Spoiler alert. There are not masses of people waiting to suddenly play SOTA if we only wipe the experience of everyone currently playing. Wiping the experience of the current player base will certainly cause the majority of those still playing to leave. Only someone "extra smart" would think differently.

Episode 2 should introduce Experience caps. Then you can "finish leveling" your character in E2 and the raise that level with each subsequent episode. There is a reason every other MMO does similar, BECAUSE IT WORKS!

Elwyn, Chatele, Gia2 and 5 others like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Avatar

My apologies if it sounded negative. Had meant that you and some others set the highest standards. I mean, who doesn't know Mac? Your dedication is unparalleled. Was along the lines intimidated by your level, and not your person. Like a new player walking by mac and see a 200 GM on him at ep2 'launch'.

Yep, Ep2 is coming up. We really got to talk over it again now or never. I feel we have to put aside our preference, and think through how new players might feel coming in a (I consider a new game) with such an uneven playing field.

Thanks!

Good point.

My opinion is if a new player has to play Ep1, he might not hang around to do Ep2. I kinda like the predefined outcome. We can have a opening scene that summarizes the avatar completing the main quests and getting the shroud.

Can we sell tokens. It screams of PTW.

What about starting Lvl 1 with 20467176 pooled xp? Current lvl 100 players when entering ep 2 lands will show adv lvl 20 instead of 100?

Mac2 likes this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You need to just work a little harder so we can keep throwing you under the buss!

And for the OP I ain’t starting over been playing since 2013 no interest in losing any effort I’ve put in. The only thing I get outta this game is progression.

StarLord, Chatele, Mac2 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Avatar

So would new player starting Lvl 1 with 20467176 pooled xp work? Current lvl 100 players when entering ep 2 lands will show adv lvl 20 instead of 100?
    Mac will only be a measly lvl 60 to 70?

19. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

reset xp for EP2 and cap at lvl 20? no thanks ,I wouldn;t even bother stepping foot in there if that was the case.

I would rather just dump 5 million XP onto everyone the first time they set foot in EP2 - for a Mac it's like "hey, 1 free hour of XP" and for any new player it will be enough to get a bunch of skills up to a decent level to tackle the more challenging content.

20. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think this was suggested some time ago and he means that the skill levels dynamically change depending on the episode you are playing. E.g. as long as you are in EP1 regions you need 4 million exp to have a GM skill but in EP2 regions you need 8 million exp for the same skill to be at GM. This way having a skill at lvl 120 in EP1 might be just lvl 100 while playing EP2 and back to EP1 content it is again lvl 120...no loss of exp just the lvls change you get by your collected exp.
    This should be technically no problem as they already have the tech for that as lvl adjustments happened a lot while they adjusted the exp costs of skills...I generally still like that idea but I'm just not sure if that wouldn't be too confusing. They would need at least a hint message if you switch content that your lvls have been adjusted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.