Reset to 0 and temporary xp cap in Ep2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Nick the main issue with your idea is the loss of progress. We ALL worked hard to be where we are. No matter if we are god mode players like @Mac2 (sorry, couldn't help it ^^) or if we are frontline-grunts. Nobody likes to lose stuff. Just take a look at the insane amount of tears if it comes to balancing. Now imagine the outrage if you would throw them back to 0 ^^

2. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Absolutely, XP could even be converted into currency of some sort at "cap" then spent at some grand exchange to purchase cosmetics, housing or even cotos so people who want to grind still have a reason too. Then the whole combat dynamic of the game changes from time spent grinding to how you build your character and which skills you pick. I also liked the idea from alpha where GM’s took years to obtain, so who knows lol.

Nick likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

I understand your point. But would that be a major turn off for new players? If there's no influx of players for Ep2, we won't get to see Ep3. Hence this is moved to general discussion. I am not insisting that setting to 0 is the only method. We gotta find a compromise that will work somehow. I just feel some things have to be discussed.

EP2 lands will be released soon, EP2 content most likely released by the end of the year. There is time to make hard changes to see if things work, tweak it back if it doesn't before ep2 'launch'. Maybe we can a do survey with all the 20k kickstarter backers?

@Spoon always has a lot to say. Maybe he can have a long thesis on why we should or should not start from 0, and what's the best compromise. :p

4. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

One of the ways I have seen this work in other games, is you give the new EP2 players a catch up.

Just make some quests that only player less than level 100 (or whatever is considered the starting level for EP2 scenes) can take (or hand in to stop people sitting on the quests and getting both), make them give a large amount of XP. So they can catch up to the starting level for EP2 in less than a week even solo.

This allows EP1 player to keep there progression, new players AND casual EP1 players that never got the minimum level for EP2 can catch up if they want to bypass EP1 content and go straight to episode 2 content.

Regards
    Spung

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

u know what I DO care about new players but it’s not my fault they didn’t support and play the game as long as I have. My time and effort should not be dismissed.

I say if it’s a big deal give them super fast exp to 100. of course they would have to limit that to 1 char per acct or it would be exploited.

Or do the wow thing put 100 xp into a scroll and give each account one bind on account.

usually the people who bring this type of thing up are people who hardly play and want to catch up. But I do feel for the bran bran new plays they have my support not the lazy. If you have had the game and did not put in the time I could careless about your situation.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Let me be very frank here: either EP2 content sells or it doesn't.
    A reset won't change that.
    Only my opinion of course.

7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

This was already debated back when they first announced the idea of doing just that for ep2 having a sort of new land reset etc. The player base responded with a No thanks. Instead we wanted to see progression to harder things allowing us to keep on leveling up to harder challenges. Most us long playing players of 5+ years do not want to throw away all our leveling to start over. I have but one character and only play my one character. starting over is not something I would want to do along with many others. You like all the others will catch up eventually as the levels slow down a lot and the points after 100 start to diminish so it wont take long for a "new player" to be able to group and work with the ancient folk.

Elnoth, Nick and Brass Knuckles like this.
  8. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

"Hey, welcome to Episode 2! You know that XP you've made over the past 5 years? The days/weeks/months and the millions of gold you spent leveling up your skills? Yea, we reset you to 0xp. Have fun re-grinding all those skills back up."

A 100% guaranteed way to tick off your players base, and kill your game dead.

Elnoth, Chatele, Drilikath and 3 others like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Avatar

err.... Hey, welcome to Episode 2! You know that XP that others have made over the past 5 years? You aren't ever going to catch up. Yea, you can try. Have fun grinding to their level.
    70% chance to tick off potential player base, and kill the game dead too.
    Just a tongue in cheek. We need 20k+ players (according to starr), and we have like less than 500? Got to try something to hook and reel in potential players.

How big was this player base? And how many of them are now playing? Was there even a debate about this. Must be too long ago.
    I've been playing for 5 years and I won't be bothering to catch up. Grinding is no fun. Seeing empty towns is too depressing these days to log in for long.

Base on track record.... it doesn't look very positive. If a reset can't change that, can we do anything else?

If new lands are T5 and above. How are the new players going to start? Having them go play EP1.... I mean, if EP1 is good enough, we would have more players now.

It sure sucks being in Atos' shoes now. Damn if I do, damn if I don't.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

like Xee said we had this discussion and it was like 50++ pages with 100++ diffrent people participating the large majority saying they will walk.

I stick by my give them a scroll of 100 levels but wipe and I’m done.

also they have said exp 2 will be a continuation of esp 1 witch means it’s not gonna have starting areas people will be going threw eps 1 anyways like they should.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The thing is, catch up to what? I only got to get into 2 mmos on the ground floor like I got to here, all the rest I was years behind. This did not effect me at all, I dont play to be the top, I play cuz i like to play. The only place that your difference in levels vs another player is pvp, and we can have capped zones for that. Other then that, you are fighting the game, not players, the other players are with you, we all on the same side pve. You do not even have to compete for zones in the game either, we can get our own instances. What does it matter if someone else is stronger then you, set your own goals. Wipes wont fix anything for long, as those who play more will just get ahead of those who play less. Why create conflict where none really exists? Why is it so important that you catch up to the top leveled people? If you were one of the top players, and lower players were asking for this, would you feel the same, or would you feel like you just wasted all that time and effort?

12. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I am not near Mac’s level nor will I ever be; he is a much better player. But this game is not about mac’s level or ability: to each his own. To reset would just cause the remaining players to leave (I know I would) and even if it did not the best players would simply pull away from the rest quickly. We need more Macs (smart, dedicated and kind players) to keep this game alive. Resetting drives away successful players. We don’t want that.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'd like to see more interactive NPC towns in the Ep2 lands. The kind where you have daily monster invasions and players have the option to assist or complement the town defense forces.

If you're too low level to fight then heal or cook and feed the NPCs. Maybe even repair or forge new weapons for them. And if you ever get the itch to do some fighting then go back to the Ep1 zones, level up then come back as a front line defender.

It's a win-win for new and old players alike.

14. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Especially since it won't be F2P. I'm sure when someone sees a new episode release and comes into the game only to find out that they need to pay for episode 2 it will probably scare them away since the game is listed in the free to play category.

Nick likes this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not really i think. Not when 90+% of the content is free. And the people who don't want to spend a single dime aren't the people we need to support this game.

Bluntly speaking of course :)

Anpu, Nick and Sulaene Moon like this.
  16. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Only time will tell. We'll see. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Nick and Numa like this.
  17. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I don't care about other people's XP or levels. I know other people have put in a whole lot more game time than I have. Why should that have any bearing at all on me? So what, I'm not the best with the sword, or the best maker of bows. If there were a wipe, I wouldn't be the best at those things afterwards, because I'm not as committed as other players as to the time spent leveling. I'm content playing the game, finding my niche and enjoying it. Spending millions of gold on recipes/raw materials to re-grind XP, and then moving that XP into skills that I've already learned is a deal breaker. I did the tread mill once to get where I am. It's not fun having to do it all over again.

Nick, Mac2, Alley Oop and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

WRONG.... DDO is FTP, but you have to pay for the episodes or what ever they are called, I know this because I am playing it now... some episodes you get free if you are a VIP player. So, SOTA is right for charging for the new episodes, a lot of games do just that.

Elwyn, Anpu and Nick like this.
  19. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Elder Scrolls Online also charges for new content.

Chatele likes this.
  20. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

Once the "new" player completes the episode 1 quest line they could become level 110-120 and be decent for episode 2 content..

But I do not want to see a wipe for episode2.

Nick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.