Reset to 0 and temporary xp cap in Ep2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Wipe all the way. I mean, it was always advertised as stand alone episodes from the very first day of its pitch. I think a wipe that doesn't effect your ep 1 character but allows catnip to put in a completely different combat system, different skills and trees, different leveling curve, etc., is the way to go.
    It's not loss of progress to start episode 2 at 0, it's only loss of progress if they wipe episode 1.
    I think having to support the existing experience levels, skills, etc., from episode 1 simply restricts episode 2 far too much and hobbles it from the get go. Go back to zero, comprehensively rework the core systems for ep 2.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

While reading through this back and forth conversation about players catching up I just had to shake my head.

Why in the world does someone need to catch up in the first place? Duh because this game does not showcase level appropriate things to do. It is most about 'if you level up then you can do more'. All new combat stuff is geared to this way of thinking.

It is not about having fun and lots to do because you are at the level you are. Like yay, hooray you have reached level 10 you receive rewards and ability to enter the crystal caves now.

No this game does not reward progression with any amount of anything except yeah you are a bit stronger but who cares since it will never be enough. There is totally something dissatisfying and unrewarding about the way this game doesn't handle achievements and content.

It never addresses it but skirts all around it always promising to get better but oh no not this way. That would take focus away from balancing leaving no time to focus on how the players feel at the end of the day.

3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

For new players who want to speed things up. We have Obsidian potions of Guidance available. The XP is still needed in the pool, however they can grow skills 300% faster. I'm not worried about them catching up after a bit of time :D

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wipe or not, my biggest concern is that I'm going to walk into episode 2 (which I've already paid for) and discover it's all a bunch of even harder end-game content than what exists in episode 1, which will effectively mean it's unplayable for me until and unless I spend several months grinding. I feel like with all the balances/nerfs/new areas, the dev team has still not figured out a way to make good content for all player levels. If everything now is either too easy or too hard, what proof is there that epiosode 2 will be different?

5. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I'm sure whatever Chris decides to do with Ep2 everyone will still play and enjoy it. Heck, I prepaid for it thinking that what I read on the release notes was factual. Come to find out months after it was scheduled to go in I'm still waiting. When it comes out no matter what the circumstances are myself and everyone else will be exploring.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The last I heard, the episode 2 storyline content is supposed to scale to your level. IMO, this is the best decision.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I probably should have started with this, but we have had this conversation in great detail.

Everyone who matters said there will be “No esp 2 wipe”. Chris eluded to possible eps 3 wipe.

also as stated the stand alone concept was a old one and does not make sense for the current model. Eps 2 will be take over where esp 1 left off.

Numa and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Nobody will agree that a wipe makes sense. No matter what the episode of the day discussion will be.

Gaining millions upon millions of XP only to see it gone with another episode? How does that make any sense? That's one good way of encouraging people to go elsewhere for fun...

Mhtic and Barugon like this.
  9. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

Reseting the player level is completely anti-productive and would cause irreversible damage to the player base.
    The progression (character development or the story) is the main reason why players keep playing a game.

10. Nick

Nick Avatar

I believe many gamers are competitive by nature. Even if they don't want to catch up Mac, they'd still want to catch up to be one of the best. In most games, there is a level cap, so, you know you will get there someday. This game has no caps, and no caps with many players years ahead. It will be turn off a group of competitive players. They won't even download the game to experience it.

yeah man. I hope EP2 fills up that big gap in the game right now. It sure is no fun for casual gamers.

I think some of Chris decisions have alienated quite a number of players. (decay, nerf, remove decay, heritage, pricing, incomplete stuff like brewing....) He's a tech lord, a very good one too. But, not so good in other aspects. After so many years, I am still not sure what's the game target audience. Not towards traders, not crafters, not gatherers, not pvper, not pvers, not raids, not explorers.....

Every passing day, I can hear @Sir Frank 's "I think I am done" louder and louder..... (No @CICI, I am not selling cheap to you. Don't ask.)

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah but most games provide the level appropriate content and rewards along the way so players are more likely to enjoy each step of the journey. This game does not provide that. That is my whole point. Missing basics is wrong.

12. Dantuin

Dantuin Avatar

Agreed, for me its NOT about rushing to the reach the end, its ALL about enjoying the journey!

Elnoth and majoria70 like this.
  13. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

Or have people under level 120 have x2++ Xp gain with no Att cap.

But yes wipes would be very bad for the moral of the player base, and then new players would end up getting strong only to restart again.

Rowell and Sulaene Moon like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Only thing that makes any sense in this topic.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

maybe to level 100 or 110, 120 seams like end game levels to me. They would need new tech to for alts though because of shared Xp pools. As it is atm it’s exploitable with a alt or two.

16. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

But that is for you. If episode 2 adds more content and that content is what a new player came to play. Asking them to first put in hundreds of hours to be able to actually use that content is not really going to sell the game to them.
    As with all MMO sandboxes they should strive for player diversity. As if you hone in on one play style, the chances are there is a much better Theme park MMO or one player game aimed at that playstyle. An MMO sandbox selling point is the virtual world aspects with all different players and play styles interacting.

That's why in a sandbox I'm always pro choices, rather than absolutes. The idea I put above is like an episode 2 prologue, gives players the choice of doing fast catch up or not. Do the prologue, get to episode 2 content quickly (but miss out on the episode 1 unique rewards for quests unless you go back and do them afterwards), or don't and work your way there through episode 1 content.

Regards
    Spung

Dantuin likes this.
  17. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Just apply the 2 times xp (or whatever) at investment time in a skill not when it is put in the pool. If you spend the XP on a low level alt it get invested as double. If you spend it on a high level it just puts in what was in the pool.

Edit, thinking more.
    Could still dump it again with a scroll. So you would have to do something with scrolls. That is slightly harder.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The problem is if I have alt/alts under his 120 proposal I’d just grind on them and apply the 2x exp to my main toon. It’s an incentive to cheat there would need to be new tech that stops the taking advantage of a lower level toon to get improved xp and apply it to another char.

why do toons have shared xp anyways I never understood that.

Mhtic likes this.
  19. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would say the "end game" of EP1 starts around lvl 80 as that is roughly the lvl you can complete the four story quests without the help of others and this way I would say the starting difficulty for the EP2 story will be close to that to make it possible to continue right after finishing EP1 with EP2.

Not from the start...and I think that was requested by avatars and as far as I understood to let them level the toons with the xp of the main without the need to start from 0 just to play another role...and following the lore you are the same regardless if you are playing a toon or your main as you are just switching your body to play a different role between the novians just like you might switch gear depending on the deck you use.
    And I'm not sure that using the multiplier of a toon would be even that good. Of course you would get some more exp but as far as I know your adv. is just raising by the exp you are personally earning and is this way bound to the character...but yes there would have to be some new tech to avoid misuse.

20. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

No to any sort of wipe for any reason. After the game went persistent we were told there would be no more wipes. I pre-purchased episode 2 based on this, as did many others.
    If episode 2 was meant to be a stand alone (i.e. you don't need episode 1 to play) then the only way this will work is to have lower level zones within it to build yourself up to do the higher content. If you already have episode 1 you can effectively skip the episode 2 lower level zones and jump right into the new UT scene that I'm sure will be in there in some form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.