Darkstarr Mia ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

So I know DS was backing away some from the project, but is he gone other than some community event showings?

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Per @Chris on 10/3/2019 "As others have said, Richard and Starr are still involved and team not really changing. Starr will still drive schedules and store stuff and yell at Chris on streams for showing off ugly stuff and such. :)"

Edit: bad google translator. taken out so not to offend. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Is being curious so offensive as to not be able to ask about this? it has also been said he is working on other projects as well. I’m not attacking any one or thing here just wondering his status.

Weather or not he is with or not with catnip it does not change anything for me, but I do wonder about my sota friend.

eli, arcdevil, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, the limited input from @DarkStarr is worrisome to be sure.

Honestly though, I'm more concerned about the absence of @Lord British of late. A lot of people bought into this game because he was heavily involved in the direction of development as well as the "story" aspect of the game.

Although I'm quite sure that @Chris is doing what he thinks is best for the success of the game and gives it 100% effort... it's just not the same feeling I had when LB was actively providing input as the Creative Director.

I know he had some personal family stuff to deal with, but I've barely seen him pop on the forums since then, let alone play the game or be involved in the game development at all.

6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I think the absence or 'reduced presence' of Richard and Starr is making a huge difference to the game. You can have the best techies around involved but Richard is a creative genius and Starr an industry Vet in project management. High quality creative content and a robust structure to deliver it are in my view what's lacking right now.

7. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

How so? I think Ulfheim is a great example of what the current team can do lacking Starr or LB's input.

Plus LB was just on a stream last week. So he's still here and DS was on the forums yesterday.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Xee, Lily Byrd, Anpu and 4 others like this.
  8. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

If you view the official streams you can see LB quite often...e.g. I think last week in the "LotM house stream" he was participating.
    I think DS is less often visible...most likely at the official release stream.
    I personally would say their current development participation is "helping to create EP2" and this way we do not see that much of their work and input.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It's Chris party now.
    I don't know what there is more to say to be honest.

That being said: I am pretty happy about Chris' performance so far *shrugs*.

10. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

On a stream about a month ago, Chris mentioned something about Starr not being around much for 'a couple months' as he's working on something outside of Shroud with a friend for SXSW.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

right! Though I like lordbritish and darkstarr this was never thier game.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Oh I understand your pov. And as people said they are still around.
    Personally I expected to see them much less than I do after the ownership changed.
    But that's just a lot of opinion stuff from my end ^^

arcdevil and Brass Knuckles like this.
  13. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

;)

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

[​IMG]

15. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

Disagree big time - some of the most horrible stuff that is being ripped out was LB's idea. No maps, no prompts, making things difficult - all him and one of the reason a newer younger player base does not play Shroud. There were a lot of creative ideas that were so bad and wrong and it screwed the game up before it left the gate and now they're trying to get those things out. I'm glad they have less say.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If this were Chris's game from the start there would be no player vendors, towns, crafting, deco, music, publishing, etc. He has repeatedly said that he doesn't touch crafting at all, but you can append that with "unless it is to make it obselete by adding in new features that destroy the old system without adding anything for those who have to deal with it."

If LB/Darkstarr have less to do with the game, you will see less interesting interactive systems and more combat. And the not directly but mostly combat oriented systems (dungeons) miss the mark with "good idea, bad implementation."

Bad in the context of game design being "Lacks interactivity".

That's why I hope that LB/Darkstarr are listened to creatively. If not then this is this is just a combat game with deco trappings, from here on out. If he's still here we can look forward to interactivity making a comeback at some point.

Hazard, Astirian, majoria70 and 4 others like this.
  17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Not dead yet! Just SUPER busy with a few other projects so staying focused on behind the scenes stuff! My other projects have kept me on the road a lot (like almost every week except weekends). Sorry I haven't been more visible of late but new team members @Elgarion and @Ravalox have been doing an amazing job so I've felt really comfortable stepping back from the more public parts of my duties for just a tiny bit. I will be DJ'ing the next dance party and although I won't be on this Friday's livestream (yet another biz trip) I will do my best to get on another one soon so I can be with my Shroudies soon.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yay, he lives :)

19. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I have to disagree. If it were Chris' game from the beginning, there wouldn't be so many inconsistencies in technology in game (magic, primitive, energy weapons, ... ) and there would be a consistent theme in the game's culture.

MrBlight likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Want to tell us more^^?

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.