Ammunition System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfire, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is exacly what they had before. It was stupid.

Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Technically a gold sink is any mechanic where you give gold back to the game. Thus reducing the total amount of gold in the system.
    That is why buying stuff from players is not a gold sink, as it just moves the gold from one player to another, the total amount of gold in the system stays the same. Using the public vendors is a gold sink as the sale takes tax that the system takes.

Just because I use the item to generate gold, from a gold faucet, and get more from the that than the sink, does not mean it isn't a gold sink. It just means for that mechanic the faucet is bigger than the sink.

Ammo is a direct gold sink assuming I buy them from an NPC, if i craft them the the fuel and mold cost of the recipe (that i buy from an NPC) is a gold sink.

Regards
    Spung

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  3. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

You beat me to it Barugon. :)

Fenris

Barugon likes this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ok fine lol, I'll be mailing arrows to known archers then! :D

Mishra, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I remember. I was thinking of something a bit different. These special arrows wouldn't be available from npc merchants. They could be craftable and give better bonuses depending on the players skill that created them. You'd place them in a quiver if you want to use them, but you could still just use generic arrows instead.

Anpu, GMDavros and Barugon like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Eh. That's like, a week's worth at best.

twofoldsilence, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  7. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

No, I'm not. I'm saying spent money is spent.

Taxes, or boats, on any other element after the fact doesn't change that spent money is spent.

To paraphrase, you can't spend your money and have it to.

8. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Yeah, if I was limiting my bow use to arrows I received as drops my down time would be rather extreme. Here's an idea. Make yourself an archer and let us know how long your arrow stock from drops holds out.

We already have spells that affect arrows. I suppose more of the same wouldn't hurt.

Perhaps magical bows or quivers could be added as craftables that convey a bonus to arrows shot while having them equipped. If the bonuses from each were small enough perhaps these effects could stack, allowing archers to mix and match to taste.

Whatever. I expect a good many archers wouldn't say no to anything with a ghost of a chance of improvement to help wash away the aftertaste of their standard fare.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Interessting. I hardly buy arrows anymore because the drop rate got a massiv boost. At least where I am farming my mats.
    Maybe we possibly found another drop rate issue?

10. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

If you craft them yourself, you will also either need to buy or collect the resources needed to craft them. Regardless, it would be a time sink, which itself is effectively a gold sink, with time being money in games just as it is in reality, eh?

11. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Possibly I am out of touch with the drop rate of arrows as my archer has been a shut-in for some time now.

12. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The devs control how much money people earn in the game. They aren't putting upkeep in to regulate a number that's beyond their control, nor does upkeep set the bar for an efficiency challenge. If your parents gave you $100 a month allowance, and then charged you $50 rent there is symbolic value at best in that exchange. If they simply gave you $50 a month allowance there would be zero difference to how much money you have to spend.

13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No... you aren't. I farm Tartarus regularly, and I might get a couple hundred arrows from an hour or two of roaming the upper halls, which is nothing compared to the couple of thousand I use while doing so.

StarLord likes this.
  14. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

The developers don't control how much money is earned in game. The developers control what opportunities are available for earning money in game, and the nature of them. The player determines how much money he earns in the game by choosing which of those he partakes of and the extent to which he does so.

Seeing as SotA doesn't give out in game money to players, other than perhaps a token amount with starting gear, I have no idea how your example regarding allowance is supposed to relate to the discussion at hand.

Why you are so focused on the moneysink having a rationale is beyond me. It requires none. It also need not provide a notable challenge to be effective, due to the ongoing nature of it. It must be considered in what a person does, as I mentioned earlier, and that may very well be all that was intended. It is after all a reflection of the past when such was common, which was part of the original draw this game to begin with.

Eh, whatever. It is what it is until the developers want it to be otherwise.

15. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

They absolutely have control over how much money people can earn with any given activity, because they can adjust loot, resource finds, vendor prices etc.

It gives out money because the devs have programmed the game to hand you X amount of money whenever you kill a monster, and then charge you Y amount of money for the arrow you killed it with.

16. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Forget Bows and Arrows, How about some Muskets/Blunderbuss, High damage slow reload time. Need something more for range...Some variety.

Plus wish you could poison your arrows. Like you can do with blades.

17. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

No, they don't. They have absolute control over loot drops, but have limited to no control on the value players place on those drops. They can control what resources are found, but have limited to no control on the value players place on those resources. They can control vendor prices, but nothing players place a high value on will be sold to vendors. The developers have control over the circumstances, but not on what results from them.

The absolute control of developers ends when contact with the players begins.

Do the developers program how many monsters you can kill? Do the developers force you to pay a set price for arrows?

No, they do not. Monsters to slay are in a never ending supply. One can purchase their arrows from a vendor at the developer set price, or from player vendors selling at various prices, or craft their own and pay for them with time rather than coin.

What you contend is simply not reflective of how the game works.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can! Put a poison on your utility bar, click it and for some amount of time, you'll be shooting poison arrows. You can also use Ignite Weapon with bows.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Numa and Anpu like this.
  19. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Except even if you sell absolutely everything to NPCs you earn more money than you spend on ammo, so no matter how you try to spin this, ammo prices do nothing to actually lower the total amount of money in the game, they just slow down how quickly it increases a bit which could just as easily be achieved by giving less loot or lowering vendor prices.

Players trading with other players do not put more currency into the system either, so that part doesn't factor into wealth generation and it doesn't matter whether or not the devs control it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's not true. If you pvp as an archer it costs gold for arrows. Currently you earn nothing in the process of pvp. It's a gold sink, plain and simple.

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.