How much PvP risk should we have?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zeme, Feb 15, 2020.

?

How much PvP risk should we have?

1. 0 equipment looted

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. 1 equipment looted

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 2 equipment looted

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 3 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 8 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 9 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 11 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 12 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 13 equipment looted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 0 equipment looted and Inventory looted

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  16. 13 equipment looted and inventory looted

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  17. 1 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 2 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 3 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 4 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. 5 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. 6 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. 7 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. 8 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. 9 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. 10 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. 11 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. 12 equipment ransomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. 13 equipment ransomed

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  30. 0 equipment ransomed and inventory ransomed

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  31. 13 equipment ransomed and inventory ransomed

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  32. unranked stats unchanged queue with looting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. unranked stats unchanged queue with ransoming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. unranked stats unchanged queue with no loot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  35. unranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with looting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  36. unranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with ransoming

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  37. unranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with no loot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. ranked stats unchanged queue with looting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  39. ranked stats unchanged queue with ransoming

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  40. ranked stats unchanged queue with no loot

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  41. ranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with looting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  42. ranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with ransoming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  43. ranked equalized stats (all skills set to 100) queue with no loot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  44. another option explained in the thread

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeme

zeme Avatar

I'm not going to say much so I don't bias the results, pick your favorite option! :)

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

PVP Exp System

Killing players awards PVP Experience

Killing a player higher level than you, at intervals of 5, yields bonus pvp exp

Killing a player more than 10 adventurer levels below you yields 1% of the experience of killing a player your level

Titles are awarded at various levels of pvp experience

Town Criers will have a [daily/weekly/monthly] update of who the top ten earners for pvp experience are, and who the top 10 by total count are

A special type NPC in a tavern (lets say, hooded Rouge) in major cities issues a repeatable quest to kill someone in the top 10 lists, which return large adv and pvp exp and some igg.

Im not too sure on penalties at this time. I was thinking of some kind of PVP exp decay, but that wont go over well. Longer "time outs" after death inhibit gameplay. I was thinking maybe when you die from PVP death, you dont res in the same scene, but are teleported to some other adventure scene at random. Adds randomness to revenge, and does make death feel like something to avoid without really inhibiting gameplay or taking away exp.

3. zeme

zeme Avatar

There's a lot of variety in people's opinions, maybe certain zones would have certain PvP rules to them to appeal to the different schools of thought on PvP risk

4. eli

eli Avatar

When I started sota around r30, I would have said full loot, because PvP in statless reward/shop gear was already happening and viable.

Now that item stats are >50% of player power, I think full loot would just make PvP even more of a ghetto, controlled by mobs of fully-geared players picking off half-power solo players until they stop flagging.

Personally I think the key in getting more people pvping is having nonrandom, understandable consequences for dying, and mechanics that somehow make solo pvp as rewarding or more than grouping.

5. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

• killed in pvp should have around 5 min debuff (nothing too savage) to temporarily take you out of the fight. you should also have a bit of protection from res killing.
    • there should be full loot
    • looting should be like a harvesting or stealing mechanism with trainable skill. it should be interruptible and should take a reasonable amount of time to complete
    • gear loot should take longer than inventory looting ~ 1 min per piece
    • inventory loot should be random ~10 seconds, stacks should be broken down to a value amount ~250 (wild guess need to test)
    • there should really be some kind of karma going on with kills and loots; innocents, criminals, murderer, etc. let's face it that worked well in UO.
    • excessive looting should waves of imps, brigands and guards

eli and Antrax Artek like this.
  6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think it should be based on your wallet ...the bigger the loss... death to the rich...and the elites :confused:

Joke aside ...the rewards should be bigger then the risk.... but since there are no rewards in pvp .... shouldnt be any risk either ( i dont consider 5k gold from a ransomed piece of gear a reward )

Anpu and Dhanas like this.
  7. Ancestor Enoch

Ancestor Enoch Avatar

I was talking to some guild mates a few nights ago and we were talking about pvp rewards vs xp vs loot.

One of the better ideas that came up was to expand the craftable items made from player skulls and other bones.

The idea was to have every kill drop maybe 1 to 2 bones of the player. Bone drops could be skull, hand, foot, leg bone, arm bone, etc. Other than that, no items or gold drop from randsom.

Have a daily limit as to how many times you can kill the same player over and over to prevent people killing their alt chars/friends to get the bones.

Pvp craftable deco ideas:
    Skull and bones fencing sections
    Skull and bone floor pavers
    A row lot of a thousand corpses
    Skull candles
    Skulls on a spike, like the tier skull spikes
    A Bone throne and skull table
    Urhn with cremated bones of player
    Skull fireplace
    Hot tub filled with skulls
    Pvp oriented skull & bones armor
    Pvp oriented skull & bones weapons
    Etc

I cant remember all the good ideas.
    But this would be a fun way to include crafting into the pvp rewards. It would also give the big pvpers a way to show how powerful they are with lot decos.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Ragnarr Lodbrok, Numa and Mhtic like this.
  8. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

For me its no-ransom.

But there needs to be a token system so you can buy some rewards, such as Emotes/Titles, Deco and more.

But I also cant wait for real battlegrounds instead of having a gank fest.

9. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

As much as I loved full looting in UO, the fact that gear in SotA is so important to a players power it cant really be an option in this game. In UO gear didnt have any real stats until they added artifacts so it was easy to have resupply bags in your bank and everyone was of equal power for the most part.

I was excited when the early design was to make the power curve flatter after 80 and that gear was suppose to be mainly player made. But that went out the window long ago so how we need to think about PvP needs to change. Most PvP games today don't last long because they never can achieve balance and other games just have it to have it. ESO is a good example there are players who can literally 1 v X people. I know it is fun when you are the 1 but to those people who are the X get tired when one person can take out have a raid party.

So it is hard for me to respond to this thread given the current state of the game.

Numa likes this.
  10. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

My shot at this...

If you USE it you can LOSE it!

All items used when flagged as PVP must be changed in inventory by right clicking them and selecting PVP, similar to LOCK TO INVENTORY, except it has PVP by the item.

This includes pets, consumables, etc.

Only items flagged as PVP can be used when flagged as PVP.

When you are killed in PVP, all items flagged as PVP in Inventory can be lost to opponent, unless bound to character.

The number of items lost corresponds to a matrix involving Level and PVP Ranking.

Only the Character that does the most damage has Loot and Selection Rights for 1 minute.

If a Player zones or dies, Selection status is reset/lost.

The Player with Selection Rights can either pick the Items (stackable consumable items are combined or sorted to stacks of 5) they wish, up to the maximum allowed in the matrix, or select a "Personal Memento" (Skull, Hand, Jawbone)

Only Personal Memento rewards are given if Victor is ranked 10% higher in Level/Rank.

Level = Combined AVG Level of all Aggressors including Players that Healed, Debuffed, etc
    Rank = Combined AVG Rank of all Aggressors including Players that Healed, Debuffed, etc
    AVG is determined by adding 100% of Selector and 10% of each additional Aggressor
    Rank is determined by PVP success.

Level/Rank % -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Selectable Items 10 9 8 7 6 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 0

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

The game is far too gear orientated, therefore I say if you kill me you get nothing of mine. Looting things in a game that requires so much investment to get items is a surefire way to create a very dead game. Even UO with its not so important items was dying until they split out the pvp.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Feeyo likes this.
  12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think they should take a page form other games and make large areas contested. put in things that people can capture and or guilds that do something that creates a reason to be there. maybe have it where there is a high yield mine or dungeon that can only be accessed for a week as long as you own the towers etc... pvp zones now are great but they need something to promote it.

I also requested that the LB/DS banners be made into a capture the flag system so we can take player towns and make games out of them for pvp with scores.

I also recommended having a Con system where pvpers are a neutral color to start once you kill someone use the murder system where they are red. using that guard npcs would not allow and kos you on site which then could be used to promote areas like bloody bay as the only place for killers to sell and do business. With an escalation system in place where there is a cool down based on last person you kill that stacks. As to loot with paid skins in the game it becomes an issue as the skins are $$ if they were all super cheap I could see it as ok but at current costs no thanks.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.