Ammunition System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfire, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Technically, you can craft arrows from resources. You don't have to buy them from a merchant.

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Your an archer @Barugon, do you craft your arrows? And if not, why not?

Barugon likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, hell no! I was just pointing out that they can be crafted. I could grow reagents too but I'm not inclined to do so.

[edit] The reason is that my time is more valuable.

4. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Yup

Fenris

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think "ignite weapon" should be useful for setting arrows a blase... How Cool would that be? also have the ability to "poison" arrows & foods, be able to attract critters to a open free meal with a kick to it... Deadly poison should take a lot of HPs from them, even kill'm too... Like caltrops, set a food item down for bait, lure critters when they come close...

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are you being ironic?

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm glad this system was scrapped as well.

Barugon likes this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

HaHa, back when I was your age, everything was "Cool" not rad, not smoking or whatever you young ppl say these days, but it is/was Cool... Like Cool Hand Luke, Paul Newman...

9. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

That you can sell things to NPCs to earn coin that can be later spent on arrows does not eliminate the cost of arrows. If ammunition wasn't used for bows in this game you would not have to spend that coin on them at all, allowing you to keep it or spend it on something else. Slowing down the accumulation of wealth is effectively no different than removing wealth after it is gained. Either way, wealth is reduced. It just changes the timing of the reduction.

It is true players trading with others doesn't reduce the overall level of wealth in the game. It does, however, drain the wealth of the player paying coin to the other. From the point of view of the spending player, there is no difference if the reduction of his wealth leads to that coin being removed from the economy or transferred to someone else. Either way, that coin he once had is now gone.

So, the arrows, no matter what transaction gymnastics you wish to contrive around them, still drain the resources of those that use them. Again, assets depleted are still so regardless of when they are depleted or how.

While 2 + 2 = 4, 2 + 2 - 1 does not. It is a simple as that.

10. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

I did when I was actively playing an archer. It is, of course, not the most effective method, as the opportunity cost of doing so escalates over time making it increasingly prohibitive. But, being efficient in one's use of game assets isn't necessarily all that important for play. Spending time doing what you enjoy when playing could well be a better indicator of efficient use of time so spent.

I enjoy crafting what I use, and the self-sufficiency that comes along with that. I value that more than the greater accumulation of wealth that a more time-efficient approach would provide. That I can produce for myself in a much wider array of needs, compared to the more constrained crafting in many other games, was one of the initial draws to me.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Since it was removed due to my tone before... what are you trying to say here??? Really? Because you didn't really answer @Barugon 's question regarding
    Since both the poison and ignite weapon issues were addressed earlier. Perhaps you missed them?

As an archer myself, I never craft my arrows, because I have many other uses to which I can put the wood and metal involved. This is especially true when you consider the arrow crafting recipe has never, EVER been a more economical use of resources, considering it STILL costs over 200 gp in materials per 1000 arrows (Note: that is using wood scraps to create the timbers to make the boards, and metal scraps to make the arrowheads... the full non-scrap recipes cost nearly 400 gp/1000 arrows).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    GMDavros, Adam Crow and Barugon like this.
  12. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

But 2+1 is the same as 2+2-1.

13. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Do you have anything salient to respond with, or is this going to be your last gasp on the matter?

14. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Ah, I see you've run out of arguments and gone to insults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.