Sun/life spec - Where do we go now ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odyssey2001, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

This weekend I found myself scratching my head on trying to figure out where to go ( other than Revensmoor )
    I was with 4-5 guildies ( they were not high high level - just average ) and had trouble figuring out where to go.

I am Sun and Life 130+ ( so ya undead is my best bet ) but with the recent Extream Nerfs I find myself either saying I cannot do it or its Not Worth doing it!!!

1: Mysterious swap - undead are - NOT worth it as lichs are now 6-8k and take too long to kill versus reward - I almost end up at a loss!
    2: Rise lich room - I used to get some decent loot there but in all fairness its is suppost to be group area I believe.
    3: UT - I was looking for some groups this weekend and I could not see any doing UT!!! The guildies I was with also said it was now too hard for just us 4-5 ( as they were too low to complete the last 2 waves )
    4: Dispare - I dont see the point of this area at the moment - so much work in making that zone and barely no one goes there!! ( I dont see any groups LFG for that area ) nor do I see any people in my friends list.
    5: Deep Ravensmoor is a good area but its not really challenging enough for 110+ level players..

6: So At the moment I am back in Ravensmoor which is the only area I see that is somewhat challenging and has a decent reward versus effort base. But with this being the only place for me I am feeling a little bored doing the same area all the time!

There are more 110+ level players than below OR Very high level players like Mac/Vero/ so with all the areas in this game why is it that the only places left to go for undead that has a balanced reward versus effort is Ravensmoor?

I though we were passed these kind of extreme changes, I think 50% damage resist and also raising the lich power by 2-3 times fold is WAY to much as general mod. I think we would have done better testing out 25% and adding a few 6k lichs would have been enough for a try out period IMHO.

PS: I dont use the Warlock chain either so this is not an issue concerning reward or regent cost use.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

There is Eastreach Gap (The control point) that should be fun, but for a group (4-5 should be enough if you got a tank and a healer), it is all undead.

Otherwise when you are solo, the Compendium of Pain and Suffering. Can still be fun, and as long as you remember that even though you are sun/life spec, you can still use other spells, you should be good to make it to the second chest solo!

There is Also Tartarus. You can drop a Ring of Fire for a bit of faster DPS, but with your banish and solar flare, you should be able to drop those zombies pretty fast.

Those are the ones I can think of right away, but I am sure there are a few other zones I can't think of!

tomcat_de and Vero like this.
  3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Avatar

Agree Odyssey,
    I/we are struggling with the same issues. :(
    We ended up decorating most of the weekend cause we didn’t have a strong enough group to do anything other than Tartarus.
    Whenever we looked in LFG there’s never any going or the one that is, is full.

tomcat_de, Mishra and FrostII like this.
  4. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

I've seen a drops in groups after the change to UT. I was not able to find a PUG with less than an AL 115 requirement.

tomcat_de likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Tell me more about your Sun/Life spec'd levels and gear, @Odyssey2001 .
    Beginning with - when you fight the undead (as in UT), what do you carry in your hands ?
    What is your Life attunement when fighting undead, what level are Banish and Enlightenment ?

tomcat_de and Vero like this.
  6. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes I agree, I have went there recently and its was fun.. I forgot to mentioned this.. thanks for pointing that out :)

As far as Tartarus well, it was no way as fast as I am not spec in fire and banish Sun was not doing as much damage AS I would have liked so it was twice as slow - maybe even more. but to be honest I am not that crazy about the area. ( I guess I spent just too much time as I miner to be able to stomach it anymore for more than a round or 2 )

CP's are fun but this weekend seemed a bit slow as there was only 1 group and it was full most of the time. ( At least when I was on ) ( I am used to seening 4-5 groups ) perhaps I am spoiled or something..)
    CP like Superstitious Canyon or the like, are fun but you need now (for the undead type ) a decent group that is either strong OR knows the game really well. but like I mentioned I thought we were suppose to balance out things so that more people go to more areas and NOT LESS ! From what I see in the "social window" is that places that had undead are now barren. ( with the exception of CP's ).

So where is the 110+ user in all this ? as far as undead goes do we now have to take a class with people like Vero and Mac to show us how to overcome the new nerfs just in order for the Devs to just eventually Deploy the next round of nerfs? Its been ongoing now for a very long time and I am not just bitching about a slight adjustment ( as slight changes are always done in every game ) as I really dont think many would say that doubling or Tripling an opponents health ( Lichs ) while dramatically increasing there resistance ( + 50%) is a slight adjustment!!!

Perhaps its just a adjustment Like Vero mentions but I think UT was fine before the resistance to banish was set in. Last 2 waves was hard and we were still getting killed running around trying get that stone and avoiding the mobs, it was fun but now its just not even worth it for the amount of time it takes to kill those waves as its clear in the amount of people going there now.. Why is it always modifications in the Extreme !!! Why not do it gradually and see how it goes??

Anyways its my Rant for year 2020 :)

tomcat_de, Mishra and Violet Ronso like this.
  7. eli

eli Avatar

When you say you can't find a place to go because it's not worth it, you mean it's not fun, or it doesn't give you enough gold/xp per minute?

If it's the second, I would say that ever since double xp there have generally been inflated expectations in that regard, and it is just going to hurt a little as your body adjusts to cutting back the dose

*cough*partialskillwipe*cough* sorry have a bit of a Corona going

The Fall has really good undead rooms of various levels too

Xee likes this.
  8. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

HI Robert :) Well I am spec in Sun and life. I have not been to UT since the change because I am having issues finding people to be able to go there. but as far as undead goes I have been to the Lich room in the Rise and Mysterious Swamp which are high llevel areas.

I have good gear ( I could get a better wands though with banish undead on them ) but its decent gear for sure. I carry 2 wands, I dont use warlock chain because it gobbles too much regens ) I have 300INT banish is about 130 and rest in life tree is 120+ except spec at 100. Sun is spec at 106 and the rest is about the same as life but A bit higher.

9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Meaning I end up spending to much time fighting each opponent for what it gives as loot. So reward versus effort seems unbalanced now. I was there in Mysterious swap for over 2 hours and I walk away with less corps wax than I went there with and lowered all my other regens big time.. and got 1 yellow bag and maybe half the loot I would have usually gotten in that time frame ( which is not that much at all ) . So if I wanted to have a change of scenery well I guess I will go back as I can do the area but its just disheartening to walk away with so little versus the effort it takes to complete such a challenging area.

10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Ya maybe I should give the Fall a go.. see if I can find a room or 2 there I can have fun in. although I am not a big p2p person. but I guess its better than spending time hear ranting .. :)

11. tomcat_de

tomcat_de Avatar

I think many people (including myself) are too passive when it comes to LFG. If there's no group to join, why not create one and see who shows up? I'll give it a try this weekend (my 'Mining with Sheamous' group was not so successful the other day tho o_O)

Paladin Michael and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Welcome to SotA

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Groups will mostly work if it is a rewarding or fun activity, so either control points, a boss, a high level zone (Mysterious swamp, ruined keep, Tartarus level 3, etc) or fishing/dance parties.

Mining, being a solo activity (or else you fight for the nodes :/) should not attract players, as would any other ressource gathering group. But yes, you want to do something, start a group, don't wait for one to happen!

Anpu, Numa and Vero like this.
  14. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I feel your pain, Paul. Undead were strengthened to the point that banish, at 123 with 200+ attunement doesn't do as much damage as archery. All my business these days is keeping groups alive in control points.

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Bear in mind that many groups go private/party mode and don't advertise on the LFG channel. Just a suggestion: ask for groups in /Universal chat if you don't see anyone. I somewhat agree that risk vs. reward is a bit off, as it has been for years. Finding that sweet spot that works for you (and/or your group) is a challenge unto itself. :(

16. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Only groups I ever see LFG, are either Control Points which gets boring after 10 minutes, or Some boring Dance Party, or Fishing Contest.

As for me the game is not fun anymore. Increase my skill level to finally do some help with in a group or a scene that I can finally solo, only to have my legs cut out from under me. I grow tired of the Devs nerf, or moving the bar sideways/out of reach. Seems they have no clue how to balance only to put a band aid on a bleeding artery.

And don't get me started on crafting, it died when artifacts were introduced & when you can use Cotos to fully fix your gear.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Prior to R74, the only groups I saw were for UT or fishing. Now I at least regularly see multiple control points.

18. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Don't be surprise when CPs get nerfed again.

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This has been one of my main gripes against the nerfs. It is one thing to balance things out, and nerf some, but when you do multiple nerfs, all affecting the same content, it is no longer little nerfs, because they add up! Lets just take a look at the 2 latest "small nerf packages" (without the exact numbers because I won't spend more time finding those numbers than they spend time inventing them...)

The big Archer Nerf :

1. Charged attack slightly reduced in damage
    2. Charged attack charging timer increased
    3. Damage resistance increased on all mobs (actually 2x)
    4. Air shield math changed
    5. Aimed shot damage reduced

PRETTY sure that there were more in the same release (or during those "Hotfixes" that happened 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after release). These 5 nerfs, each on their own, make sense, 100%, the problem is, they all went in at the same time, so you dropped damage, attacks per second, skill damage, AND increased enemy resistance, so basically you hit the players 4x for the same thing! The air shield was simply an extra slap in the face for any archer using air shield (which is almost 95% of the air shield users, so yeah).

Next one, the Sun/Life Mages nerf

1. UT becomes even more difficult
    2. Liches have their HP increased
    3. Undeads see their magic resistance increased
    4. AoE Spells see their reagent use increase immensely
    5. AoE Spells see their focus cost increase immensely
    6. RoF/Meteor Shower see their duration decreased immensely (To the point where if you are not fire or moon spec, their Cooldown is longer than their duration!)

I am sure there are more, but these are the main lines. once again, these are 5 nerfs (2-6) which all affect sun/life mages, and these 5 nerfs just end up stacking into 1 mega nerf, leaving nerf #1 just an extra slap in the face because as a Life/Sun mage, your goal is to solo UT (many will say "No I actually did x or y'") but honestly, UT was the golden spot for those mages, be honest at least.

so yeah, Chris loves his nerfs, and does mini nerfs a lot, but what happens is he forgets to think about the impact of doing ALL those nerfs AT THE SAME TIME!! He should do 1 at a time until things are where he wants them to be, instead of doing them all, and having the community be pissed at the ever moving goal post.

Elwyn and Xiones like this.
  20. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

And as I said, kicks the can down the line which doesn't solve the issue. Players are just going to start grinding and leveling up their skills to where the nerf doesn't really effect them. Next thing you know another nerf and a slight increase on mobs. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.