Unarmed Combat

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by gingerale, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingerale

gingerale Avatar

Ye Olde Fisticuffs and Bare-Fisted Monks.

I believe fighting without a weapon should be a form of combat in itself. The focus could be in disarming and disabling your opponent. Naturally it might not be the smartest way to do combat but it'd could allow you to move fast and get those mages quickly off the playfield.

Simple as that. Besides would there be anything more amazing than you suplexing a dragon?

2. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

i think that if someone has a high wrestling skill or some thing they could stun people with a hit, deliver critical blows, etc..... kind of like a monk or a martial artist.... uo implemented some thing like this. i had a mage with wrestling ability and i would stun people and combo them to death. it was extremely effective.

basically i like your idea very much.

3. Sir Micke

Sir Micke Avatar

+1 Give the game some variety. It's the spice of life, and perhaps, just perhaps, it's the spice of game life.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I mentioned this briefly elsewhere but it sorts fits in with unarmed combat.. That being the use of a free hand during melee. ie one handed sword and no shield. Just think dual-wielding between armed and unarmed. Anyone skilled in unarmed combat should be able to beat weapons aside as well as grab, disarm, punch etc.

5. Caledor

Caledor Avatar

I would like to be able to punch my friends when they do something stupid.

6. rild

rild Avatar

Actually, some boxing matches would be a lot of fun..

Can we just avoid the asian stereotypes? Obviously much of the wealth of inspiration for unarmed combat would come from the Orient, but I would like to see something new and unique to this world. Many modern martial arts schools in America have taken to using common-sense standardized english phrasing that describes the technique. There is of course always a place for poetic imagery in the martial arts. You just KNOW "Dragon Rides the Wind" is gonna be cool when you hear about it.

Perhaps it could be colored by in-game references. Rather than "Pounding the Buddha's Mortar" we could call it "Avatar Grinding Grain", as an example. Also, there is a real danger of getting lost in the details with this stuff (I can feel myself slipping in!), so I would recommend simple unarmed combat to begin with. In my experience, many games end up just calling the abilities from other classes something different, and you end up being a mage in monks clothing. (robes for both i think!)

Really though, I just think the whole Pandaran thing was a little offensive and entirely uncreative.

7. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

"Actually, some boxing matches would be a lot of fun.."

Boxing matches held in Inn's for cash a la Witcher style would be wicked! :p

8. Toxic_Knight

Toxic_Knight Avatar

Absolutly in favor :), at long last I would have a reason to fight with my fists. Since in almost every other game they're 100% useless.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm really in the favor of something like Throws as an option for empty hand fighting. The reason I say that is that a striker is always at a disadvantage to a person with a weapon. A punch cannot do as much damage as a sword so the better option is to slow down the number of attacks a person uses against you by knocking them off their feet.

I'm thinking as a mage, would it be better to punch somebody or trip them and cast a spell or two at them?

I think it would be cool to have both options striking and a throwing based combat. I would like to learn a kick that maintains distance, and/or helps close the gap between me and an opponent. Also I would like to learn a few Judo throws to slow down an opponent to ether cast spells or run and hide behind some trees or something.

(I'm actually thinking about playing a mage character so these are just strategies I think would be useful and realistic)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.