Of Release Cycles and Testing Practices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaeshiva, Feb 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

At this point I don't want anything new, I just want them to finish the 5 year backlog and do the promised polish pass of 2018.

No Man's Sky went from being trashed to being hailed because they fixed what they already head. THEN then added new content.

We just got a free unexpected update a few days ago, now I can grow my own living space ship! But if they had released that when the game was still garbage, no one would have cared, including me because I (and so many others) would never have bought it because the reviews didn't turn around. And they would probably have gone out of business.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, this process needs to stop now.

Please stop doing this and release actually working systems to live after it has been tested completely.

arcdevil, Dhanas and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

As one of the people she was speaking about, I wanted to thank @kaeshiva for being the voice of many. The information here is not new, it is just pulled together neatly. This is something we hear on a regular basis.

We all know that the Dev team is giving us an amazing game, and they work hard at what they do. I hope the take-away here is that we are patient and want it quality over quantity. Let us help!! We can test and break the things on the Test Server.

Again, Thank You!

4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you for this post. Please accept our apologies for the broken state of some content and rushed state of other content. We are discussing this thread internally and it will be our main topic at tomorrow's team meeting.

majoria70, Malimn, Nefrinia and 25 others like this.
  5. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

Thank you @DarkStarr

6. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I'm really really happy they have a 24/7 QA server. Allowing and hopefully forcing all new changes to it. No more new changes to live servers please.

This will make a large difference in the quality of releases. Keep up the good work. These changes alone give me hope for the game in general.

I cannot wait to see the re write of the quest system.

7. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Most all of this has been said 100's if not 1000's of times by so many who have come and gone and who are still here... what matters is who says it.
    It is good to see that at least now there is acknowledgement. Action vs words is what most of us are waiting for, so we will see.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Excellent opening post.

Curse2 likes this.
  9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Could not agree more.

10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

They could just focus on fixing/polishing every month and still keep that schedule, while also prepping/pushing out fresh stuff every few months (quarter?) as you suggest. The fixing/polishing every month would itself act as something "new"(er). But pushing out stuff every few days, yeah, that's probably not the best way to go about changes.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Just glad to see that someone is actually (or maybe more to the point, apparently) listening this time. Thank you.

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks @kaeshiva and (mostly) anonymous others for belling the cat :)

[​IMG]

13. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

And still no Fertilizer. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Curse2

Curse2 Avatar

And maybe "how" they say it make's it easier to listen to...

Personally, I probably could not have been as fluid and agile with the weaving of my words as @kaeshiva was :)

Osiris3, Sean Silverfoot and Numa like this.
  15. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Many in the past have also had words that were weaved with great agility and fluidity... some with more passion and other with less. However, here in particular it is all about the who. ;)

16. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

17. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I have advocated for a lot of these changes over the years, Wrote countless posts like many others. Got on Live Streams, asked questions, got limited or a simple no answer for most. Have had others ask the same questions, and get a Yes answer. This whole "Who Asked The Question/Made The Post", nonsense is what has ruined SOTA for years....

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Just for the sake of clarity - I'm totally with you - I've said this stuff (and many many other things!) before over the years too and seen nothing happen, gotten no response or acknowledgement.

This is a big part of what needs to change - if players are going to take the time to give feedback, deep, detailed feedback, at the very least it needs to be acknowledged, regardless of the source.
    To be honest I didn't have a lot of confidence that posting this would change anything, but time has passed, things have changed, and so thought I'd give it another go to see if others feel the same (it seems, they do). Decided to make a big loud noise and see if anything happens.

I'm a bit baffled (and a bit flattered?) you seem to think that a post coming from me will get any special consideration, but if it gets results, I'll take it.

Osiris3, Nefrinia, Anpu and 6 others like this.
  19. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

Great post with things that have been said many times, with thoughtful and positive responses as well.

• I love SOTA and the community, the devs and all the people who play. It's pretty much the thing that keeps me here, it's not the game itself any longer. I am SO burnt out with some things that are going on that any and all enjoyment for the game has been snuffed out. You can grind 5 million XP in an hour - but a quest that takes 30 mins gives 150 gold and 8000 xp. Why would anyone bother?

• I would love to help in QA and test things out, I just currently do not see the point because a) things are only there for 1-2 days before they go live; and b) we don't have any idea of what to test. Then bugs that are reported often aren't fixed anyway. So again, why bother? Everything needs to go into a document of what we need to try breaking.

• I'd also love to help volunteer, do things in game, participate more, but I don't see opportunities posted on forums, or perhaps I just miss them. You guys needed stuff decorated in home town - we have SO many amazing decorators in game - why not use them? Why not have a post and involve more people? Asking the same people for feedback/help because you know them, have their personal cell, can message them really leaves out everyone else - and that gets old. Or maybe just us newer folk don't know how to?

• Too many things are changed on the fly after only one person's feedback; and more than one person plays this game. That seriously needs to stop.

I have been feeling very negative about the game lately, and try to put my positive face on when I come play and visit streams etc, but it's getting harder and harder when all you seem to see is new things to spend money on, but nothing actually being fixed. I seriously miss the love and passion I had for this game and would love to see something that would bring that spark back.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Agreed, I have seen you post many important things that went unacknowledged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.