Let's gather some Free to Play aspects of Shroud of the Avatar compared to other games!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Feb 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

While doing just a little looking around, I was completely shocked to discover, I *think* Shroud of the Avatar is the only 100% free to play MMO out there (Episode 1 content and systems are all 100% free to every single account).

What I want to do, is do a side by side comparison to other MMO's out there, but I am going to severely limit (for now) the list to some specific criteria:

1. The MMO to be compared to, must have been in release for over 9 years and has a Free to Play option.
    2. Any Kickstarer funded MMO that has a Free to Play option.

What I would like from you, is exact specifics (and references and links) to any MMO's that meets the above criteria. For example Ultima Online is WAY over 9 years in development, and does have a Free to Play options. I *think* Everquest, WoW and Eve Online also(?) have Free to Play options for more examples.

Here is how I I'll try to break this down for comparison (I'm trying to keep these descriptions short, and to the point):

Shroud of the Avatar Free to Play

Content: All of the Chapter 1 content is 100% available to every account. This includes the full Chapter 1 Main Quest as well as all of the side quest content included with Chapter 1.

Character Skills: Each account has access to all the skills available to Chapter 1 and have no limit to the level progression of these skills.

Player vs Player (PvP): There are PvP systems in the game and they are completely optional for all accounts.

Property: Each account is given 1 Player Owned Town Row Lot deed and 1 Player Owned Town Village Lot Deed through finishing quests. Both of these lot deeds can be immediately used when they have received these. Both of these property deeds cannot be traded, but can be upgraded to other options.

Storage: The Player Owned Town Row Lot deed every player is given can hold 75 containers. Each container can have up to 300 items in each chest (75 chests x 300 items = 22,500 items stored). All players also have access to a Bank which have a default of 30(?) items that can be stored there. This Bank item limit can be raised by collecting the in game currency gold.

Housing and Decorating System: Every account has 100% access to change and decorate any property they own. This also includes the option to change a property to use (or not use) any of the available houses that meets the lot size. Houses can be crafted by any player, bought from other players or bough with COTO's in the in game Crown Shop.

Crafting: Every account has access to all of the available crafting recipes currently in the game, to make any of these items.

Resources: Every account has access to all the resources in the Chapter 1 content in the game. Players can sell or use any of these resources.

Premium Currency: Every account can find premium currency (Crowns of the Obsidians) from rare random drops from time to time in various areas of the game, can purchase them from player vendors with in game currency gold or pay cash and buy them on the official website.

Economy: Each account can place NPC Player Vendors on lots they own. Each lot size has a limit of NPC's that can be placed on them.

Mail System: Every player has access to a Mailbox.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultima Online - Free to Play (Endless Journey)

Content: All lands up to the Stygian Abyss expansion. Various events cannot be accessed.

Character Skills: The normal skill cap of 720 (the same as Subscribed players).

Player vs Player (PvP): There are PvP systems in the game and they are completely optional for all accounts.(?)

Property: Free to Play accounts may not own any property.

Storage: Free to play Players have 20 Bank slots.

Housing and Decorating System: Free to Play accounts may not own any property.

Crafting: (Not sure on this, I think you can craft anything, provided you have the resources to make it)?

Resources: Free to Play players can only gather Iron and Wood resources.

Premium Currency: Yes(?). The Online store can be used by all accounts.

Economy: Free to Play players cannot place any Player Vendors.

Mail System: Free to Play players cannot access mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I am just trying to do some simple and quick comparisons to other Free to Play MMO's (that meet the criteria as stated above). This is what information I have collected for now.

Eventually, I would like to have a robust comparison to other games, that we could proudly display on the main website. But this still needs a lot of work. I'll continue to work on this from time to time, and if you would like to help assist me on this, that would be appreciated!

2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Also Property can have a basement (more chests) and Dungeon (more chests)

Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  3. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

You should add a restrictions section too (i.e. universe chat).

That being said the list could be huge.
    Anarchy online
    Guild wars 2
    Lord of the rings online
    Star Trek Online
    Rift
    Neverwinter
    Star Wars the old republic.
    DC Universe

Those are just off the top of my head.

This would be a very very very long list.

Anpu likes this.
  4. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Why?

Fenris

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

To provide a quick at a glance look at what free options are available to any player playing any of the listed games that offer a free to play account.

6. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

These restrictions are too narrow for any meaningful comparison of SotA to other games as they assume exclusions to game availability that simply don't exist, making the entire exercise essentially pointless.

7. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I was trying to wrap my head around why we'd have a thread that posed pros & cons of and different alternatives to SoTA within the SoTA message boards.

Fenris

8. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Dark Age of Camelot....

Anpu likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It will be great to see one of those side by side charts, done to be beautiful, with X's and Check Marks. Good job!

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.