1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

The Grand Bazaar (Universal Vendor Search)

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Kabalyero Kidd, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A very well known (and potentially controversial) wishlist item. I know I've slowed down on these wishlist items, but with land rush and 2 other secret (but cool) projects, they will go a little slower. BUT do keep in mind, I've been doing the deco thread (sticky one) in which I've almost caught up, so soon I can spend a little time into the meat of this forum room again. I got my database ready to go for helping me organize these, and I've been working the stale wishlist items already in our tracker. Lots of lovin, and hopefully some of the good smaller ticket items can be knocked out/squeezed in during 2020, and some of the bigger good ones will be considered for 2021 features. Keep'em coming :) And happy R75!

Numa and Anpu like this.
  2. Elgarion

btw, I like that pic at the beginning, @Kabalyero Kidd, is that something you made or is it from another game?

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Actually, this is a feature that already exists in another Ultima Online successor game. I just copied and pasted the information because it's almost, if not exactly, the same thing players have asked for in SOTA.

Numa, Skye Azure, CICI and 1 other person like this.
  4. Elgarion

Cool! Thanks Kabalyero :)

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Elgarion Do you consider Universal Vendor Search a "smaller ticket item" or one of the "bigger good ones" ?
    Because, IMO, this one can't wait another year.

6. CICI

CICI Avatar

Maybe it is one of the two secret (but cool) projects lol

Ostvel, StarLife and FrostII like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That would be perfect !

8. StarLife

StarLife Avatar

So is this one of the smaller items and possible for 2020? Is it one of the bigger good ones,which will be considered for 2021 and so we have to wait for this huge quality of life feature, which really isn't that hard to develop. Also, how is this potentially controversial? I've only seen an overwhelming support for its introduction.

ShurTugal and FrostII like this.
  9. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Any search of player npc's needs to be thought of with exploits in mind. for example I could easily bait people by offering all the high end artifacts on a vendor that is inaccesible (behind a locked door or blocked off with deco) for a silly low price.

Personally, I think that search should come with a price, such as being able to search all ingame public vendors from any public vendor, with the taxed negatives that come along with public vendors being the price. It might spark some use into a game asset that is 99.98% unused

10. StarLife

StarLife Avatar

Not sure how this is an exploit. Yes, you might be able to bait them to your location, but what would be the benefits in this?

So effectively hobble/nuke the system for no real benefit other than making it harder (and an added cost) and disincentivising players from using it? It also doesn't provide a global search function of all vendors.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
  11. Roxefeller

Roxefeller Avatar

I think the potential exploit that Elnoth started to lay out is that someone could list their highly sought after items for a much lower price than the market and keep the vendor behind a locked door so that the buyer could never actually pick up their item ... making for a scenario wherein the seller gets the gold and the buyer is cheated out of their item.
    So, either:
    A) A system is in place that automatically delivers the item to the buyer's mailbox after 24 hours if the buyer has not yet come to pick up their item.
    B) The seller does not receive gold until the buyer picks up their item.

In either case, the item bought is locked down/removed from the seller's vendor as it has been effectively purchased and is on reserve until delivered/retrieved.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Then those players are banned forever from the search? That would work.

ErikRulez likes this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The Universal Vendor Search would be ONLY a search, with items and prices shown. You would have to go and visit the vendor in order to purchase it.

Ostvel, Numa, StarLife and 3 others like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I assume you are referring to NPC town "Public" vendors.
    A Universal Vendor Search could/should include all of them as well as POT vendors.

15. Roxefeller

Roxefeller Avatar

Oookay, yes. Many times yes.
    I see Elgarion said this is somewhat of a volatile topic among a few of the veterans within the community.
    I say poppycock to them! We all want the game to attract new players, to retain those new players and grow as a whole!
    This is something I've brought up in other wishlist threads .. SotA has SO MUCH potential .. I hate to see agendas being pushed by a group(s) of deep pocketed early backers that only want the game to be catered to their tastes. Inevitably nudging great ideas like these off the to the wayside.
    Call me overly dramatic, but Chris has even acknowledged this taking place.
    #MakeSotABetterForALLPlayers

Ostvel, Cyin, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Couldn't have said it better myself.... I agree completely.
    Thx for the input, @Roxefeller ;)

Grow the game with Universal Vendor Search and we'll FINALLY have a REAL, FUNCTIONAL ECONOMY !

CICI likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If they wanted a functional economy, they'd fix the vendor UI, so people who came here specifically to play as merchants weren't leaving.

You know why you can't find anything? Because once you run a successful store for a while you realize carpel tunnel syndrome isn't worth it.

It'll be downright hilarious if this gets implemented before they just fix the thing that LITERALLY drove away top merchants. Not this conspiracy theory and veiled insults against price fixers thing you two are talking about here, just people who came in, ran a bunch of stores for fun, and said to hell with it restocking is ZERO fun because the UI is so bad.

Hilarious, because you'll be searching dead vendors because restocking sucks. Sucks so bad I have to mentally prepare myself. And most of the time I just go play something else.

Guess what a vendor search is going to do? Make me hate it more, because now a few more people are coming by.

Fix the UI and you'll have stuff listed all over the place, like it used to be.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  18. Roxefeller

Roxefeller Avatar

This has to be as good of an example in favor of my point as any.
    Funny though, because I see the quality crafters restocking their vendors damned near on a daily basis. Why are they restocking? Because they're selling their wares. Why are they selling? Because they're selling properly crafted gear.
    Why are there dead vendors that haven't been restocked in months but their owners continue to play regularly? Most likely, they aren't crafting quality gear.
    OR, they aren't in one of the dozen "market towns" just outside of Brittany.
    In either case, the Grand Bazaar would only help.
    Hate to say it, but there's a very large amount of poorly crafted gear out there that people are trying to peddle on their vendors. Either they don't know how to properly craft or they're trying to take advantage of players that don't know any better.
    Hell, I was even warned by many of the top notch crafters/high-end players to avoid certain people, vendors, towns.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I say stuff.

It's not. But I'm bowing out from the conversation. Again, if this happens before they fix the vendor UI that will be flat out hilarious in the saddest way.

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What is so horrible with the vendor UI that would mean more to the most people than implementing a vendor search function ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.