Let's get rid of Supply Bundles (Experiment)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The question is, is anyone actually excited about opening another bundle, if they have opened a bunch in the past?

I haven't opened a ton, and I'm not excited about opening one when I do get it. Sometimes I just don't, who needs the hassle?

And this is with the knowledge that I might get something I can use.

Contrast that with Overwatch, where I am always excited to open Loot Boxes. They are completely pointless fluff (costumes, victory poses, emotes), and part of the time even the pointless fluff is pointless (icons for instance), but I am still excited every single time.

I wonder why the difference in experience? Might be worth analyzing.

Cordelayne, Anpu and Numa like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I still think the solution for supply bundles is to rework them to have RP-flavor

From here.

I still think there are a couple of reasons to drop random "junk" and supply bundles are a way to make this "cleaner" without cluttering a player's inventory with that junk, and also from the devs' point of view its better because it processes the loot contents only when you open the bundle. But there's no gameplay reason to build them up into something like loot boxes, where they're completely flavorless and random, where you can expect anything from a piece of fruit to an artifact. If players are disappointed, its because the problem is you're giving them too high expectations.

I also hope eventually that players can create their own "supply bundles." What I mean by that is that people have been asking to be able to sell things like suits of armor in bags on vendors, but that leaves buyers with a bag they have to discard that they didn't want to buy. From an game mechanics perspective, I like the concept of supply bundles because they have a "wrapping paper" you can throw away if you want to.

Pifester and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I am still once again so glad that YOU, can get all these artifacts and luck and good fortune ALL day... Guess what. I can not. This whole because this one person can do one thing, everyone can, is not how it works. We all just want to have fun.

evillego6, Cordelayne and Feeyo like this.
  4. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Supply bundles are the gifts that keep on giving.

Kill Bandits/Skeletons/Kobolds/Liches/etc... get mostly junk.
    Go home, sell junk, put things away, then open your bundles....get more junk.

I think the only way Supply Bundles are worth anything is when you put them on a PC Vendor for an insanely high price (relative to the junk within) and some sap will buy them up...eventually.

"Aww! I just spent 750 gold for an apple, a potato, a Healing Potion and a rusty spoon."
    It's like Charlie Brown getting rocks in his Halloween bag instead of candy.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think the idea of supply bundles is actually pretty good and gives devs a useful loot tool that they wouldn't otherwise have. Instead of getting rid of them, I'd rather that they just didn't suck.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

And (off-topic) I think they should change supply bundles to look like actual bundles instead of small bags and allow them as deco.

[​IMG]

On the topic, I think loot still needs to be improved, but the issue of supply bundles and the issue of improving loot needs to be separated a bit. Loot improved in various ways, while supply bundles reworked into something else. The thread I linked in my first post has some more suggestions for improving loot.

7. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Get rid of supply bundles, increase and make loot drops better, and increase harvesting mats for crafters.

8. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

I have hundreds of yellow and blue supply bundles sitting in bags, so i decided to open up 50 of them all at once and see what i got. I completely cleared my inventory except for the supply bundles, and after i had opened them all and cleared away the crap (and there was a LOT of crap), this is what i was left with. So .. about every other bundle had "something" in it. Maybe not what i wanted, but that's what the marketplace is for, right? one person's junk is another's treasure.

[​IMG]

9. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I think everyone can agree on one thing, the bags should NOT drop crappy stuff. I am not suggesting any changes to the loot chance for artifacts, rare recipes or other super rare items (A house can drop? Wow!). But as others have suggested, remove the crappy stuff and put in USEFUL stuff.

Useful does not have to mean an Artifact. It can mean reagents, crafting materials, essences, gems, scrolls, etc. And the RNG chance of getting really useful items can still remain low.

I think we can all agree that if there was a 0.1% chance for 1 (or more?) Beetle Carpaces to drop, as an example, that would be a far superior experience than a potato or banana or corn.

At the very least, please consider banishing the inventory management game into the dark abyss. This should be considered a QoL improvement.

Vladamir Begemot and Numa like this.
  10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So with the current odds in yellow/blue/ orange bags to drop good stuff (arties/recipes), it would be easier to reduce their drop rate and ensure you get at least one arti and recipe per yellow, 2 per blue, and 4 per orange. Seems an easier solution to me.

In the meantime I will just sell them and buy what I want from the proceeds “Grins” R/Boris/El Pirata

Vladamir Begemot and Anpu like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Im with you there! It's the main reason why I have never opened any of mine and just throw them in trunks.

kaeshiva likes this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yup, I'm also waiting for better rng or arti's. I have patience. :)

Adam Crow likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd like to see:

Grey - stuff, chance for stack of reagents, chance for a recipe, small chance for an artifact
    Yellow - stuff, stack of reagents, chance for a recipe, chance for an artifact
    Blue - stuff, stack of reagents, recipe, good chance for an artifact
    Orange - stuff, stack of reagents, recipe, artifact, chance for deeds/houses (I think those only currently can drop from orange, and should probably stay that way)

Plus, if food is going to drop in bundles, throw some of the obsidian dishes and INT fish dishes. Not foods nobody uses, ever.

Numa likes this.
  14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Having read the arguments for getting rid of the supply bundles, I still like them. Who doesn't like opening presents? As Forrest Gump's mom said: “Supply bundles are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

The arguments against them seem to come from discriminating high-end players who have everything anyway and for whom the bundles offer no added value. If they are removed from the game I would petition to keep the gray bundles in the easy zones. Some of us are delighted to get a bundle even if they only contain a cookie and a rusty spoon. :)

15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

My character does not have some hidden equation that gives me better odds then anyone else. And in a game where everyone is subject to the same rules as everyone else, so yes if one person can do something, every other player can do the same thing. Can you name me something I can do that other players cannot?

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Hmm.....Canadian accent? ;)

^.^

Mac2, Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, I'd much rather just see them drop a small amount of straight up gold to make up the desired value threshold than to fill my inventory with unwanted, unusable junk. I get enough broken dishes and dirty clothes from the 'regular' loot I don't need to add single fruits or bark bread and crap to the pile. It all goes straight in a trash bag anyway.

18. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

What's the cords /dbg string on those bundles? Those would be perfect if they ever have a deco version made. Tag me @Elgarion if you reply. ;)

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Elgarion

They're a lot of places. Elysium Mines, the Quel Shardfall lich dungeon, etc. I have the coords for some of the ones in Elysium Mines.
    Area: Elysium Mines (Novia_R11_Hills01_ElysiumMines) Loc: (46.545, -9.75, -8.593) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjExX0hpbGxzMDFfRWx5c2l1bU1pbmVzfHwoNDYuNTQ1LCAtOS43NSwgLTguNTkzKXwoMCwgLTAuOTIsIDAsIDAuMzkyKXwyMjYuMTYzN3wxMy44NDI2N3wyLjMxNDQyOA==

Elgarion likes this.
  20. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Yes - make it worth for crafters and harvesters to collect hours and hours of mats. Right now the gain is lousy and the "increased gain" is a joke. If you reach high gathering-ranks you should get more out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.