1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Simple Town Market Vendor NPCs

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by that_shawn_guy, Feb 28, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

These would be POT (only) placeable NPCs that operate like other player vendors, with a few major difference.

- They do not allow direct listing of orders
    - They show the consolidated list of all buy and sell orders of player vendors in the town

Existing player vendors would have a new permission option (on by default) that would control if the owner wants this vendor to be included in the town market vendor's lists. If the option is on, anyone with access to the vendor would control their listings on the town market vendor by simply listing their buy/sell order on the normal vendor. If the vendor is not commission free, commissions work as normal.

Customers could choose to buy and sell from the town market vendor or directly from the player vendor on their lot.

Buying and sell work exactly the same on the Town Market vendor as they do on normal vendors.

NPC towns would have one near the existing public vendors

The main goal with this idea is to provide a central town market place with the least amount of UI work for the devs (this should be mostly backend) and the lease amount of disruption to the existing player vendors, market town, etc. Governors can choose to place them or not. They could even place a few around their town.

Wilfred, Dhanas, Widogast and 5 others like this.
  2. CICI

CICI Avatar

3. that_shawn_guy

:) it was your grand bazzar posts that got me thinking about this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    CICI likes this.
  4. CICI

CICI Avatar

not my post but I did add to it :)

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I like the idea , but....

When i open my bank i gotta wait like 10 sec to load few hundred items ... a vendor like the one you mention would need to show at 100 vendors with 200 listings...20.000 listings ? What would be the load time on that ?

6. that_shawn_guy

Agreed. But, not much we can do about that. :) The devs will need to figure that out to make this work.

Dhanas and CICI like this.
  7. Reventrant

Reventrant Avatar

Still quicker than running to each vendor one by one to see what they may or may not have.

FrostII, ErikRulez and that_shawn_guy like this.
  8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Great Idea. For the performance, perhaps that is fixed by the filters. You will have to choose one or more filters on the town market vendor in order to get it to display. First choose, equipment, housing, consumable, etc. Then you need to type something. If the results are greater then say 400, you need to add more to filter.

FrostII, Numa, Elrond and 1 other person like this.
  9. StarLife

StarLife Avatar

The above two statements are contradictory.

Yay. More money for Shroud to make unless they hand them out to Govs for free (which I doubt) and less money for Governors. Why should Governors always be penalized. Particularly given these would probably end up costing approx. 2k COTOs

These aren't universal/global and therefore pretty useless (half a job) when compared to the system spoken about in the Grand Bazaar Thread. Big thumbs down for this suggestion when compared to the GB

FrostII and that_shawn_guy like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually I'd like that vendors in general should have several group permissions:
    - Guild members (all guild members can list items)
    - POT residents (all POT residents can list items)
    - Public (all players can list items)

I've been meaning to do a post to talk about some of this, and other things I think would be helpful to facilitate the player economy... But the idea is that instead of players just listing various assorted junk ("this and that") on their vendors, they can set up specifically themed shops, and then share vendors either with their guild mates, or with the POT community, so they would put items that don't fit their own shop "theme" on other shared vendors in their guild or POT which do fit their theme.

Everyone wins out. Players get to more easily find items, more easily sell items, find shops where they're more likely to find a crafter to do things like custom orders and repairs, and this would also help the RP aspect of the game.

The owner of the vendor of course can be the "manager" and filter things out.

Then, that would be further extended with other market and RP features:
    - Placing a shop sign on your property would then *automatically* place the icon for that sign (blacksmith, music, etc), on the town map, and the name of the shop would come from your shop sign's text/tooltip, and appear as a tooltip for the icon on the map. This could include more than one shop sign, which would place ore than one icon. This would also appear on the town crier's listings, instead of the players' name or in addition to it.
    - A larger variety of shop signs/icons, to cover all the different types of shops.
    - Being able to drop a note or package directly into a player's mailbox for requests, instead of having to remember the player's name and then go to a publicly accessible mailbox.
    - A real bulletin board system that lets us advertise; first town-wise, then advertisements could then be propagated from the town level to the regional level, to the global level.
    - Being able to place town maps as decoration (instead of relying on the global map UI which I don't think is preferable), so where you can pin a town map to your bulletin board, players will open this map, and it will show all the shop locations, icons showing their types, and names; then you can "mark" these things and it will show up on your compass.
    Etc.

Anyway I want to get further into where I believe this can go, so I'll still get to a post one day.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea. One of the reasons I think global market UIs are overrated even from a pure convenience perspective. I think there are much better ways to make the market work better for players, make finding things easier, without going to the simplest and most boring solution. I also wish they did banking a bit differently in the game, where I could buy a bankbox in any town, or more than one in the same town, and this would be an independent container. Generally speaking, I hate the database-style UI in the game for everything, including player inventory, which is just a big dump of items which you're expected to either wade through or do a type search for items.

Nonetheless I think a wider permission system on vendors can help this in other ways mentioned in my previous reply.

12. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I'd actually like one that allows listing. However, direct listing would pay commission.

13. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Redacted as my suggestion is exactly like the Grand bazaar idea which mirrors SWG ^_^

Was always cool to go visit peoples stores and see how neat they had it set up! Also you would discover other vendors there to browse as you were only originally searching for an item from one vendor ^_^

14. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I don't want a global search, but I'd love to see something like this. I wouldn't want it restricted to POTs only, though. The amount of total listings might make it not an ideal solution for market towns specifically, but it would be a great help for folks living in smaller towns, or those of us visiting smaller towns not knowing which lots have vendors and which don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.