1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Crafting Improvements To Absorb Extra Crafted Gear

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

On last Friday's Twitch stream, @Chris said that he and @Bzus will be working on crafting improvements around 3rd quarter this year. As @Elrond recently mentioned, there is currently a lot of extra crafted gear in SotA that is not really useful. Here is a wishlist request to make all that extra gear useful.

TLDR:
    - Salvage extra crafted gear to get "Shard of Mending".
    - Combine multiple "Shard of Mending" to make "Orb of Mending".
    - Use "Orb of Mending" to repair durability by reversing masterwork and enchant failures.

How obtaining "Shard of Mending" would work:
    Salvaging crafted gear would give a certain number (not random) of "Shard of Mending" as loot. The number of Shards received would depend on a ratio of how much of the main material ingredient was used to craft the item being salvaged.

For instance, at a ratio of 2 Leather per Shard:
    - Leather Boots use 2 "Yard of Simple Leather" (4 Leather), so salvaging would give 2 Shards.
    - Leather Leggings use 5 "Yard of Simple Leather" (10 Leather), so salvaging would give 5 Shards
    - Hardened Leather Leggings use 5 "Yard of Hardened Leather" (40 Leather), so salvaging would give 20 Shards.

How making "Orb of Mending" would work:
    Multiple "Shard of Mending" would be combined to create "Orb of Mending". Something like a ratio of 400 Shards per Orb. Combining Shards to make Orbs would work like the current system for combining creature essence to make dungeon totems.

How using "Orb of Mending" would work:
    Place a crafted armor or weapon on the crafting table along with an "Orb of Mending". Click "Craft". A selection box pops up with a list of masterwork and enchant failures for the item. Select one of the failures and click "Mend" to reverse the failure and consume the "Orb of Mending".

Chemeck, Numa, Adam Crow and 3 others like this.
  2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I like the idea but i think it will be better if the orb of mending could be a very rare random loot drop ..and would add 30 max durability to an item .

For gear absorbtion all they have to do is allow us to get at least 10-20% ( based on salvage skill ) of the mats used, back and the failures and crap gear will dissapear really quick.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I like the idea, and it makes sense that this would come from salvaging crafted junk (get it out of the economy).
    I'd suggest that shard return also consider the number of gold/silver ingots invested in the item as this is often the bulk of the cost.

Please no, crafting already relies far too heavily on "random loot chance" and this system, as proposed, is a huge step in the right direction in removing reliance on rng and luck which is already far too prevalent throughout the game but crafting in particular. From the numbers in the example it seems you'd need QUITE A LOT of salvage to reverse a single error, so use of this would be highly selective/sparingly, which is good.

Vaiden Luro, Wilfred and Adam Crow like this.
  4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

If combined with getting 10-20 % of mats back..it could work ...get some mats back when salvaging and a chance for shards ... however i still think making it add 30 durability to an item could be better then just deleting a failure ... im saying this because right now my problem is the great items have no failures but very low durability ....and these orbs being very hard to come by youre gonna use them on the great items .... but if they have no failures ..they cant be improved .

Wilfred likes this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, I'm with you. It amounts to the same thing, except in the context of making pristine items better.
    It would make sense if one "shard injection" added max durability equal to what a failure on the item would cost - so more on larger items like chest/legs, less on gloves/boots.

I guess its whether the intent of this is to patch up stuff, or to increase longevity of really nice items giving you more bang per major repair because you've boosted up the max dura 10 times.
    Would certainly be useful on things like legendary artifacts that only start with 50 dura cause you didn't get lucky.

Wilfred and Adam Crow like this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This is the best idea I've heard so far to get rid of junk gear and improve the crafting experience.

The part where you select which failure to remove could be skipped tho. They all amount to the same thing, so it can just remove a failure without any selection process.

Wilfred likes this.
  7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Exactly .

Wilfred likes this.
  8. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Yes, Shards should be additional loot along with the salvage mats we already get.

I think the base durability of items should just be adjusted separately if needed. Didn't Atos recently increase base durability on some rings?

Adam Crow likes this.
  9. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

It would be nice to select whether you are reversing a Masterwork or Enchant failure. And don't some failures decrease durability more than others?

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well one complaint is some crafters don't wan't to be fighters. I like the op's idea that crafting drops resources too as it should have done with progression of giving crafting recipes in the first place. Games like EQ2, Vanguard Saga of heroes and many others do reward the crafter for progressions. They also have crafting merchants who can give non combat quests for progression. We so far did not go this way but to me it limits our player base from task oriented non combat players. Some don't mind doing both but some like the repetitive and task driven as well.

Edited

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Elrond, Pifester and Wilfred like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No, and it would never matter if it's a mw or enchant being removed. They don't effect anything other then removing durability. And they always remove the exact same amount of durability. -25 for larger items and -12 for smaller items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.