Crafted gear set bonus

Discussion in 'QA Feedback Archive' started by Barugon, Mar 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm super excited to check it out. When will it come to QA?

2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Heyup what's this?

Is there a link to an article or thread on gear sets?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Chemeck likes this.
  3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is still in early phases of brainstorming BUT -- I'll be making a brainstorming post with you guys sometime on Monday, so get your ideas ready.

BUT, keep in mind, the best ideas... the ones that'll get the most attention more quickly are the simplest and most elegant. If it is something that would require too much new tech, it'd likely get pushed to 2021 goals or later. Bonus type ideas will be wanted and what constitutes a set will be wanted, etc. Can't wait to see your ideas :)

Sentinel2, FrostII, Elrond and 5 others like this.
  4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Observing the keep it simple advice and consideration of existing systems, from a crafting perspective the 'sets' are already there. Consider the types of chain, plate leather cloth etc already in existence.

Then, of course, there are the manufacturing material combinations giving the buffs... So defining a 'set' could be made infinitely complex or very simple. For example, should the set bonus be a boost in the existing stats for an armour type or the material it is made from, or both?

For my few pennies and again to keep it simple, I would suggest a single, large bonus stat as you add to a set 2, 3 or 4 pieces that is related to the armour class. So strength, intelligence, etc...

Chemeck likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And maybe a dodge bonus for light armor and an avoidance bonus for heavy armor.

Adam Crow, Chemeck and Steevodeevo like this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Id like to see it fairly simple. Regular cloth gets a +focus, fustian cloth gets a +%focus bonus, Carapacian gets a +spell crit bonus. Leather +dodge, supple +crit, hardened +damage. Then the metals would work similarly with bonuses for chain +avoid, and plate +damage resistance. Then each special metal type would be a little different too so constantan could be + focus, bronze +damage, meteoric + damage resistance, and white iron +health.

Make it based on the chest piece so if you wear a meteoric chain chest with other types of armor, you would receive no bonus. Add meteoric legs and you get a boost, add gloves more boost etc. So if you mix and match you receive no bonus.

And do it so in the right circumstances/ build/deck setup there would actually be choices for people to use different things. Instead of bandit armor being best in slot for all melee/ranged make the bonus powerful enough so players will consider using the other types of armor.

Best in slot items are my biggest pet peeve right now. They ruin/dominate the economy and basically make a lot of stuff in the game obsolete for high level adventurers.

ldykllr and Barugon like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A set bonus could just apply to the material bonuses for each piece. Doesn't matter what type. In this context, a set is defined as "all pieces are crafted" (crafted artifacts don't count). Extra bonus if they all come from the same crafter.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Or just increase the already existing set bonus if all the pieces are crafted.

[​IMG]

Make it 20% if all the pieces are crafted and 25% if they're all crafted by the same person. Seems like that would be the easiest thing to implement.

9. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

If it is materials-based then remember Obsidian. That should get a good boost given it is a bit more tedious to get.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It would also be nice if we could get the item effects from patterns too (sans fizzle chance of course).

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Don't you want double fizzle on Heraldry again? ;)

Another thought would be boosting effects of enchants and masterworks by 10% if same type and 5% same crafter.

Not sure if this should go down to the level of if all epic. Then possibly a minor bonus to fizzle reduction and minor increase in defense (due to coordinated overlapping of pieces).

12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I am still hoping for specialized enchants and masterworks from patterns in a similar vein to gems.

13. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I don't think this would work as masterworks and enchants don't retain the name of the person who did them. Only who created the original base item is put against it.

14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I'll wait for the official post to go up to figure out exactly what you are asking for but....You could have Meteoric Chain Chest, Hardened Leather Gloves and a Mining Helmet give you + Meticulous Mining etc...How deep does this rabbit hole go?

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

There's a lot of issues/problems surrounding the "same crafter" sets or even "same guild" sets and this will also hamper gear sales even further unless a player is able to provide ALL the pieces, etc. It pushes us back toward the "everyone does everything" camp. I mean, I'm not a blacksmith, Scoffer makes my jewelry, am I going to need to pump my blacksmithing for the exceptional chance? It just seems silly. I mean, I've got the producer xp to do it but it just seems a waste. I think we're overcomplicating it to be honest.

I'd suggest that a 'set bonus' be applied similar to how we socket gems.
    When you create a piece of gear, you choose what 'set' it gets from a list of predefined sets (or add this as another layer/step where you insert the 'set item'. The set items can be vendor sold, dropped, crafted, etc. you could add more and more of these to your hearts content.). Like gems, once a gear has a set bonus, it can't be removed, but it will 'bonus' itself with other items that share this same property.

Example -
    Let's say there's a 5-piece set bonus, lets call it the Meow set. Define the bonuses however, and you get the bonus for having "same type" equipped. So 1 piece gives you +x but 2 pieces gives you +x AND +y, etc.

When crafting the armor, crafter has to designate the set (or optionally, as a separate but PERMANENT step).
    This opens up a lot of possibilities in terms of crafters having to do crafting related quests/achievements/etc. to 'learn' all the different set applications. Armor from different crafters but selecting the same set bonus would 'mesh' together.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope the official post isn't actually a stream because then I probably won't be able to participate.

17. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Perhaps set bonus should be determined based on current astrological signs in visible phase.

18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Currently. I think there was mention of tagging enchanter and master worker as a possibility in future.

19. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It'll be a post, going to make today, no worries. The stream was testing the waters. Get yer idea hats on! (Simple, Elegant, Intriguing... ready set go! Well, later today.)

FrostII, Barugon, Numa and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.