Crafted Gear Set Bonuses (Brainstorming Session)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elgarion, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This plays into the concept of new tech -- Masterwork Marks and Enchanters Marks -- I'll add to the suggestions in "down the road, new tech" before we'd be able to make a set bonus of this style, read above, adding framework for this one now.

Enchanter or Masterwork Mark Based (various combinations)
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations: Needs new tech for establishing Enchanter Marks, Masterworker Marks
    • Suggested Bonuses:
    • Description: This set bonus derives its power various combinations of Enchant/Masterwork marks, which is tech that isn't in-game yet.

All crafted 100% cloth
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations:
    • Suggested Bonuses: +5% faster casting,
    • Description: Material type set, based on cloth,

All crafted 100% leather
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations: Chaos magic related, Chaotic effect related
    • Suggested Bonuses: +5% faster base attack rate,
    • Description: Material type set, based on leather,

Keep in mind, this brainstorming session is to offer a wide range of set bonus concepts that would allow for many options for gear selectors to fabricate a set they prefer and obtain a set bonus they like (or inadvertantly), and in general, provide some incentive for players to take more consideration with equipping crafted gear. So perhaps a Carpenter only character might not be able to make a particular set bonus that would not be possible with Carpentry, perhaps someone will suggest a Crimson Pine Set Bonus, in which they would be able to use.

Got a LOT of ideas from this one, read main post, all updated -- also chatted with you on stream, and you did not want to kill me. So I think it went over fairly well.

Awesome ideas -- love the rune/oil socket concept to build the set. I'll put another down the road entry to describe this one.

Crafter Based Set Bonus Socket Type System
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations:
    • Suggested Bonuses:
    • Description: Allow crafters to pick which set bonuses based upon applying runes, oils etc. to each item to build a set with increasing bonuses based on # of items adorned from that set.

Definitely good ideas, and its a new tech upon new tech down the road item. I have this concept listed twice now in 2 different flavors on the original post.

Not just going to be maker mark stuff. Taking in all suggestions for "what's in the tooltip" for fabricating set bonuses. Anything related to makers mark will not be a superior bonus, just different. And some set bonuses might just have a vanity effect, who knows. Just collecting data for brainstorming.

Awesome, on the same page -- and someone suggested these yesterday which was added to the suggested list:

5 Piece, Bronze Armor Set
    • Names: Bronze Armor Set Bonus
    • Bonus Considerations: all bronze armor
    • Suggested Bonuses: +25% to Material Related Stat Bonus (Weapon Damage, Damage Resist)
    • Stackable:
    • Description: Material type set, based on Bronze

2 Piece, Meteoric Weapon
    • Names: Meteoric Weapon Set
    • Bonus Considerations: both meteoric weapons
    • Suggested Bonuses: +25% to Material Related Stat Bonus (Weapon Damage)
    • Stackable:
    • Description: Material type set, based on leather,

Agreed -- diversity is extremely important, so the more set bonus suggestions we have, the better. People will get to choose from a large list of options eventually, and in no way would a makers mark set bonus be better, it'd just be a different bonus from others and one of the many eventual options. Makers mark set bonuses might even just provide a cool vanity effect, who knows. Be sure to suggest set bonuses that appeal to you.

I definitely like the idea of your socket oils/runes -- got it annotated. I know you got some great suggestions coming later in the thread.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Aeryk and Numa like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Looking at set bonus specifics, no new tech, stream feedback:

• Names: Archmage Set Bonus
    • Bonus Considerations: Per matching piece worn (from 2 up to 5)
    • Suggested Bonuses: +2% spell crit and +1 focus regen per matching piece worn
    • Description: Per piece using carapacian bolts as core component (up to 5 pcs possible). (Carap already boosts crit, so now it can boost it some more!)
    • Names: Spellbinder Set
    • Suggested Bonuses: +3% spell damage and +1 focus regen per matching piece worn
    • Description: Per piece using fustian bolts as core component (up to 5 pcs possible) (Currently spelldamage doesn't exist as an armor material bonus, this would give fustian some much needed love).
    • Names: Hedge Wizard Set
    • Suggested Bonuses: +2 to all attunement per piece (up to +10 bonus for full set)
    • Description: Augmented Cloth Style (any material) (or all dirty clothes patterns, if possible :x)
    • Names: Battlemage Set
    • Suggested Bonuses: +1 damage avoidance per piece, -5% fizzle chance per piece
    • Description: All white iron chainmail core material.
    • Names: Golden Brilliance Set
    • Bonus Considerations: 3 piece set for gold material jewelry
    • Suggested Bonuses: +15 to all attunement, +15 int for all 3 pieces worn
    • Description: This would not rival the warlock chain / attunement rings but would bring crafted jewelry a bit closer and without the reg use increase would be a decent option.
    • Names: Falling Star Set
    • Bonus Considerations: 3 piece set for meteoric iron material jewelry
    • Suggested Bonuses: +5 dmg resist, +5 avoidance, +15 str for all 3 pieces worn.
    • Description: Melee jewelry set bonus
    • Names: Feline Swiftness Set
    • Bonus Considerations: 3 piece set for bronze material jewelry
    • Suggested Bonuses: +3 weapon crit chance, +15 dex for all 3 pieces worn.
    • Description: Archer/dex set bonus

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If you want to make all of this much easier to balance - make it so you can't use these bonuses with any artifacts equipped.

So players will have a choice of using artifacts or constructing a set of gear without using artifacts and using these set bonuses instead.

Otherwise this will probably turn into a nightmare from a balancing perspective.

I'd also like to see crafted set bonuses for everything, not just armor.

Cora Cuz'avich and Numa like this.
  4. Elgarion

@kaeshiva - I forgot to add your hedge mage set, please remind me in reply here ;)

Aeryk likes this.
  5. Elgarion

OH! you already did -- disregard! Great list!

Aeryk likes this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Elemental Sets
    Using crafted jewelry, weapons, and armor that are all socketed with same gem
    (2 rings, necklace, chestpiece, and either 2h weapon or both main/offhand/shield) all socketed with SAME gem type, NO artifacts.

Bonuses are absolutely negotiable, just examples etc.

Examples:
    • Names: Blazing Dawn Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all SUN attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Sun Damage, +10 Sun attunement,
    • With Specialization: Grants Buff when worn: Cleansing Light - adds pulsing dispel effect & small heal over time effect (like 2-5 pts)
    • Names: Anger of the Land Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all EARTH attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Earth Damage, +10 Earth attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn: Thornskin - adds small damageshield/reflect
    • Names: Glacial Embrace Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all WATER attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Water Damage, +10 Water attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn: Flow like the River - adds small damage avoidance/dodge effect
    • Names: Cursed Shadows set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all DEATH attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Death Damage, +10 Death attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn: Nectrotic Touch - adds small focus drain effect to physical attacks
    • Names: Archangel Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all LIFE attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Life Effectiveness, +10 Life attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn: Savior - 10% heal effecivness (stacks with other sources)
    • Names: Whirlwind Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all AIR attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Air Damage, +10 Air attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn: Electrified - small chance for incoming attacks to stun attacker
    • Names: Eternal Night set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all MOON attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Moon Damage, +10 Moon attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn - Nightwalker - stealth/dodge bonus
    • Names: Inferno Set
    • Bonus Considerations: as above ^ all FIRE attunement
    • Suggested Bonuses: 5% Fire Damage, +10 Fire attunement - full set only (no partials)
    • With Specialization: Grants buff when worn - Glowing Embers - small chance for incoming attacks to ignite attacker

Aeryk, Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No tech required -

How about a crafted quiver/bow/gloves set bonus that could give an alternative to the xen/envy bows for ranged users.

Could also give bonus' in addition to attunement if you use the same socketed gem/jewel in all crafted pieces.

Edit : please just let @kaeshiva design this :D

Aeryk, Sean Silverfoot and Numa like this.
  8. Elgarion

added link to main post, this was a stream we did today while reading through the ideas -- keep up the great brainstorming suggestions! Remember, this is just idea/info gathering.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/564915699

Aeryk and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Whaaa? THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN SHROUD, WHAT GAME ARE YOU PLAYING

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Quirky Sets:

• Names: Lumberjack Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Basic Leather Helmet (No Style), Leather Quarter Armor,, and 1h/2h axe equipped. (3 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Bonus to all forestry skills
    • Names: Tunnel Rat set
    • Bonus Considerations: Crafted Mining Helmet, Chainmail QUARTER Armor (it has no use, this gives it one!), and Basic Platemail boots (3 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Bonus to all mining skills
    • Names: Nimble Farmer Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Crafted Perennial Coast Farmer Hat, Leggings, Sandals, and Tunic
    • Suggested Bonuses: Move speed unaffected by encumbrance while in town. This would actually be super useful.
    • Names: Itinerant Merchant Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Fancy Merchant Boots, Gloves, Chest, Legs (4 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: 10% Bonus Gold from Quests, Mail Delivery, etc.
    • Names: Crushinator Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Bear headdress and 2-handed maul (2 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Small salvage bonus
    • Names: Mysterious Dancer Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Floppy Hat, Short Medieval Shirt, Twirling Baton, Short Kilt (4 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Special visual effect (I'm envisioning like, the dark effect from the black shroud or something similar)
    • Names: Stargazer Set
    • Bonus Considerations: Wizard Hat, Astrolabe,any crafted staff (3 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Shows constellations in sky when equipped (like when you click moondial)

Aeryk, Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

@kaeshiva I really, really like the quirky sets because non-combat roles are popular and important but generally don't get the attention they deserve.

Bet @Winfield would be verrry interested in a fisherman's set :)

Aeryk and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  12. Toular

Toular Avatar

• Names: Variety is the spice
    • Bonus Considerations: Should not be any
    • Suggested Bonuses: The material bonus of each item is also applied to each of the other items,
    • Stackable: Yes
    • Description: Equipped armor has at least one of each material. (plain leather, supple leather, hardened leather, etc) Same for heavy armor (Iron, Copper, Bronze, Meteoric, etc)
    • Names: Unison
    • Suggested Bonuses: Not sure.
    • Stackable: Probably not? but maybe?
    • Description: Material of equipped weapon "matches" the material of the armor. For example, a grey pine bow confers a critical hit chance increase, as does supple leather or meteoric iron. However, all armor must be the same material.
    • Names: Fae
    • Suggested Bonuses:
      • +5 to Acrobatics skill.
      • +5 to Safe Fall
      • Character model is visibly displaced upward by 67% - the character size is decreased 33%, so the character's head would be in the "normal" position. Collision should not be impacted.
    • Stackable: Yes
    • Description: A faerie belt + dragonfly or faerie wings + only light armor.
      The belt and wings could be from a pattern, since both are COTA store items.

13. Toular

Toular Avatar

It's not "the way". It's only one the many possible sets. They are proposing having dozens of sets.

You don't like a maker's mark set? Fine. Don't use one.

Aeryk likes this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

And most of us won't use it but the point Lace was making was if you come up with set bonuses that most people don't like and no one uses, than what is the point of having it in the first place and was the time you used to implement it ( no matter how little time it takes because according to @Elgarion these are things chris can easily role out) worth it or could your limited time and man power be put to better use on things more impactful and important? I am all for set bonus's but they need to serve a purpose and if they don't, what's the point??????

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Makers Mark HAS a point, to some an important point, that would be more RP related indeed. I see no need to dismiss any idea of the availability of a Makers Mark set or any other style set that may come to mind. Heck, I might want an outfit to go with my fish heads! As long as it is as easily added as @Elgarion has said. IMO

Aeryk and Numa like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think it's not much of an issue if it's one set type out of many sets. (Unless it's clearly the best one of all of them for some reason.) I think the main objection is getting a makers mark bonus on top of the other bonuses; that'll annoy everyone.

Now, pardon me. For some reason I'm craving bourbon...

Violet Ronso likes this.
  17. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

What kind of role play are you referring to? Always buy your stuff from bill? You can do that now. Get to it. :) RP the heck out of only buying from bill. :) the point we are making is makers mark wouldnt have mass appeal and would cause more issues than it helps. I personally like the idea of many set bonuses to choose from but there is a saying, quality over quantity. This game, I feel has an over abundance of focus on quantity over quality and it shows with many half finish and half baked systems that people are always complaining of and so apparently enter another half baked system.... maybe. Quantity comes naturally after the focus has been on quality for a bit. That should be the direction we turn to. Stop with cramming more "stuff" into the game, back track and fix some much needed things and if set bonuses are a must..... make them high "quality" bonuses and make any new thing implimented high "quality" as well. The rest comes naturally. :) :)

Dhanas, kaeshiva and Lace like this.
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well as this was a brainstorm when we were discussing "how these sets should work" and maker's mark came up so early it wasn't clear that there were going to be loads of other possibilities. It was presented more as "Let's make crafted set bonuses based on makers mark" which a lot of us really don't like, don't think is fair, and have pointed out loads of problems with, etc. etc. As someone who has their own name on nearly everything they are wearing, or could get to that point by levelling one skill (I have scoffer craft my jewelry for his higher exceptional chance, but that could stop), I'd actually benefit from the maker's mark set as I'm completely self-equipped. Still think its a bad idea. Too hard to replace pieces as they wear out, and if I start making gear for people they're going to be nagging me nonstop to replace bits cause they need it to be ShimBrand to match their set and I already have people showing up on my front porch with 3 gold ore and a piece of string far too often. (I love you guys tho, really).

However, if this is just going to be one possible bonus out of a myriad of bonuses, or if its possible for multiple set bonuses to 'stack' (such as a material bonus AND a maker's set), it creates more levels and more possibilities. I think the more likely outcome though is its going to have nothing to do with preferred customer and more to do with everyone levelling base crafting skills to make their own 'blanks' since your own name on your gear is one that is always going to be available, reliable, etc. At any rate, if maker's mark set is going to sit -over there- and be a thing, and we'll have 50 other things over here, I think its less of an issue. My objections were more based on the idea that we were choosing "1 way for sets to work, and that better not be it because ew." I'm calmer now.

I see this as a first pass at adding some basic, fun, small, quirky, whatever set bonuses using existing properties but hope that a more robust, meaningful set application system comes in the future. I have no illusions about this bringing crafted gear up to par with artifacts especially since the 'too many artis in the economy' issue is going to continue to get kicked down the road with higher and higher combinability. Crafting is what its all about for me and the main appeal and ever since it was made less and less relevant by the arti-best=in-slot crap my interest in the game has dwindled. Excited to see new stuff happening on the crafting front for sure.

Anpu and Numa like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

I really think that the first pass at this should start with the quirky sets for several reasons.

First, implementing and testing this subset will be fun and we won't have many people killing each other in the boards about them (as will happen with the combat sets, trust me).

Second, it's a good controlled test if these sets can coexist or even compete with the artie's with similar bonuses.

Third, it will be obvious whether the concept is worth anything - because if it's worthless for quirky roles and functions then it's triply worthless for combat.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From my perspective I think we need to look at a few things.

1. We have the crafter of the armor's name but we are still missing who enchanted / MW which was discussed in detail as something that was to come. This would open up ability to further things based on same enchanter and or Masterworker. (looks like this was example of enchanter / MW mark already discussed)

2. We need some bonuses based on schools. perhaps ability to gem or add fragments to armor to enable set bonus to match a specific school augmenting various skills based on level of crafter determines which options are available which sets the type of the set maybe.

3. I would love to have it so that items of higher level could be named. The database name could still be the same but the display label could be changed. Items with for example 3/3 or 4/4 mw/enchants or of +20 or greater could have naming option which could also be considered that if maker labels them the same for each it could be tied to a specific set.

These are my thoughts taking into account the previous thoughts to expand things. if anything I do think number 2 needs to happen, as many would love to set school based artifacts / adventure tree sets to give them bonus.

4. Quest perhaps to unlock a set bonus which is based on perhaps specific item acquired

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.