Crafted Gear Set Bonuses (Brainstorming Session)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elgarion, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addrox

addrox Avatar

Not that I want to FORCE people into types but I would love Melees to use more Heavy armor and making melees (pure melees) really worthwhile in pvp and mages go away from heavy armor to light. Not that people cant do whatever they want but the bonuses should me such as for people to want to go one way, including dex melees. I hope this isnt to just make "new items" and more along the lines of helping to balance the 99.9% population of SOTA as mages (or archers for now till they get the nerf stick).

2. 2Reckless

2Reckless Avatar

Set Bonus: Randomly triggered emote "Menacing Growl" (or something)
    Just thinking an audio file is pretty simple to implement. Dance emotes while fighting would be REALLY cool imo.

3. Caligula2

Caligula2 Avatar

Names:Silent Rouge
    Bonus Considerations:No more than 2 leather pieces(fill with cloth), single dagger, free hand
    Suggested Bonuses: +X Backstab damage, +poison
    Stackable:yes

-Pandora LLTS

4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You got the right idea -- initial ideas for this were related to giving crafted gear/crafters some lovin'!

Added to main post, improve existing Light Armor, Heavy Armor set bonuses to be in tune with power level of these new proposals OR simply make stackable into any other set bonus triggered.

Existing Light, Heavy Armor Set Bonuses
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations:
    • Suggested Bonuses:
    • Stackable: YES!
    • Description: possibly improve, but be sure to make stackable into any other set bonus provided.
    • Worries:

Based on Crafting Location
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations:
    • Suggested Bonuses:
    • Stackable:
    • Description: This would relate to more crafting locations like the Obsidian forge -- set bonuses derived from the station you use to craft it. There are many stations in adventure scenes throughout the game that serve no purpose other than deco, now they could have a purpose.
    • Worries:

Aggro Set Bonus
    • Names:
    • Bonus Considerations:
    • Suggested Bonuses:
    • Stackable:
    • Description: Need gear combo suggestions, but an Aggro set would be nice.
    • Worries:

Indeed, the bonuses will need to be worthwhile and/or fun to inspire use of the set.

Indeed, they must lure someone in. Not all set bonuses will appeal to all players, variety will be the spice of life. Initially, they'll load in simple ones, I'd image as time passes, quite a variety of this new concept will be available.

Added into the list Kashiva's suggestion about a socket type system, I believe she said it used runes or oils etc to make sound different. New tech on new tech though, so something like that is listed as down-the-road. Yes, definitely making sure a system like this can offer loot loving advantages definitely would kill 2 birds with one stone for improving 2 systems.

Options options options! Variety - that'll hopefully hit everyone's play style so they get some set bonus lovin' will be important.

Good input, definitely I do also like Kaeshiva's rune/oil concept -- definitely a different system, but I put it in the down the road section since that's new tech upon new tech.

Adding to Down the Road section, neat idea and perhaps plays off of Kaeshiva's idea a bit... for instance, where do you get her runes and oils?

I REALLY like this system you've devised. Kind of a revamp of our crafting system however and not entirely related to the set bonus concept we're discussing. This even could be some sort of mini-game if done a certain way. I like the UI concepts you used, but I'd post these as a Wishlist item in our wishlist forums and perhaps brand it as not a complete revamp of our, maybe some way to describe how it would insert itself into the existing system would be helpful.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/wishlist-requests.32/

Definitely a school of thought that a portion of the community likes (more Mossy Handle type stuff) where you get the crafting component that has some of the properties of the main item. Adding item to regular area (not down the road) for a blank concept with simply a bonus related to spell reagent usage.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Anpu, Sean Silverfoot and Adam Crow like this.
  5. Ser Kyrlieon

Ser Kyrlieon Avatar

So for the coto store gear you can make the bonus something visual for the set and I would love to have a set bonus for tammmming that actually makes it a little more possible to tame high level critters without the proficiency. It doesn’t need to be amazing but maybe a 5% total boost to creature tame so that >1% turns into a 5% chance to tame a nightmare even with crazy high taming skills it’s basically impossible without proficiency.

6. Lace

Lace Avatar

Awesome way to take one sentence and present it out of context completely +1 troll points!

Full context.

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

The quantity of gear wont need to be increased because of this .... if today i have 200 ordinary gear pieces on sale ... after the bonus sets release i will have 200 pieces which combined will do the ordinary + something new ... and if someone decides to buy all his gear from one vendor will probably receive a small bonus to something because hes wearing all the stuff made by 1 crafter (maker mark)... so i really dont see how the situation will be any different then how it is today .

Either way ...i already made a post in wishlist , a week ago to maybe get a boost in listings allowed for vendors to maybe 400 or to be allowed to place a second vendor on a row .

8. Toular

Toular Avatar

Perhaps the set concept can provide a little impetus to getting the capability of selling equipment bags with a "full set" of items and have that bag count as a single item. That way sets could be sold as a single item without devouring the vendor item limit.

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Durability Set
    • Names: Junk Collector
    • Bonus Considerations: All Armor at X or less Durability
    • Suggested Bonuses: Y% Reduction in Armor Damage from Bashing Attacks
    • Stackable:
    • Description:
    • Worries: There may be. I'm no expert at melee.

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

So how do you not get it?

If i want to go with the suggested
    • Names: Tunnel Rat set
    • Bonus Considerations: Crafted Mining Helmet, Chainmail QUARTER Armor (it has no use, this gives it one!), and Basic Platemail boots (3 pcs)
    • Suggested Bonuses: Bonus to all mining skills
    But all of them are made by me (same makers mark) which bonus do I get? Do I get both? What happens if I want the tunnel rat set but want the mixed makers mark set? Do I have to make my own stuff and then get someone else make the boots even if my skill is higher?
    Makers mark set causes too many issues around it.

eli, Dhanas, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Toular

Toular Avatar

In the current "design" ... sure. maybe you get both. Or all three. Or however many set permutations there are. The possibility of "qualifying" for multiple sets exists no matter what sets there are. That's one of the things that needs to be hashed out. For example, that Tunnel Rat set could be crafted with copper, so it qualifies for a "All the same material" set with a minimum of 3 items with the same material...

12. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

I agree cooking and alchemy needs to be reworked to be actually meaningful.

I’m pretty sure @majoria70 has some ideas!

Numa and majoria70 like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

An alchemist's uniform set with bonuses would be great!

[​IMG]

Rentier, Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Ummm, isn't alchemy where you enchant? Pretty sure it's where you enchant. Pretty meaningful to me and cooking, without that I wouldnt have the food source that adds 10 fire atunement to my fire. Also pretty meaningful. Are you new by chance???? Lol. :)

15. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I have concerns about single player crafted bonuses.

1) As one great Sota streamer stated. "Variety is the spice of life". That applies to a variety of players working together. Single player crafting will cause a group of players to lean towards a single player doing all crafting. So if friends are playing together, one player ends up doing all the gear crafting. This results in other friends being left out and takes away from their gaming experience. Not a good thing.

2) It increases the threshold for new crafters to be able to produce competitive gear since they will be more likely to have to master multiple crafting trees to produce sets that are market competitive. Their items will automatically lose value as players move to buying from single player vendors.

3) It reduces the buying options for players since they can't mix as match as much and gain the bonuses.

Much prefer a guild crafting system that has been mentioned as it helps with all of the above situations by allowing crafters to work together, focus on one crafting area, and gives buyers additional buying options.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  16. Elgarion

Added to the suggestion list -- thanks so much! ;)

Indeed, variety is the spice of life -- coming up with set bonuses which INCLUDE an artifact or two would be acceptable, albeit do keep in mind this round is intended for crafter lovin'. One set bonus already put into the consideration list is simply an all crafted gear set bonus.

Good ones! Added, but put in Down the Road section since this is new tech upon new tech, gear does not know the specialization of the wearer. I did add one in relation to this in main section, but the opposite, all different gems socketed.

Excellent -- added :)

This is as far as I got today, I'll do more tomorrow and clean up the formatting in the OP, its a mess right now.

Rentier, Anpu, Numa and 2 others like this.
  17. Elgarion

Added links to 2 more brainstorming streams with you guys and cleaned up some formatting a little. Great input guys, thank you, not close to done on this, probably another week of intake then I gotta clean it up for a report to the team.

Rentier, Sean Silverfoot and Numa like this.
  18. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Something like that would be perfect, pretty much Balanced, not OP, useful for every class, based on material and without the necessity to have a single crafter doing all the set.
    Imo putting bonus to wear something crafted by the same person disencitivize a lot new players that maybe use pieces gathered here and there or bought for cheap price .

kaeshiva and Adam Crow like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Maybe a maker's discount makes sense - buy enough pieces from the same craftsman and you get an automatic 5-10% discount on the next purchases

Dhanas likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well please don't miss the other crafting feedback in the other thread on crafting. It could have an impact on decisions. You never know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.