Thoughts from a longtime player and 120 crafter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powersurge, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I don’t believe that 30 million will fall on their laps unless they farm some Philanthropy associations and get some bored people into becoming the new “Whales”.

That said, @Chris who stated he can handle constructive criticism needs to realize/admit/fix the slap in the face to many crafters with his bandit armor set and fix it with crafteable plate/chain and cloth sets for starters. Lots of junk drops off mobs that could be used for crafting instead of sold to NPC vendors. Give the new players something to sell so they can upgrade, feel important as gatherers/ future crafters and maybe a reason to stick around for a while.

R/Boris/El Pirata

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If you can convince him to finish one post launch system you will be the hero of all of us. The only things that get finished are things the other devs are doing, fishing, gustball, crown store. At this point I wish he were not allowed to have any big ideas and only was allowed to code other peoples completed designs.

Edit: And scenes get finished, good on those guys. It is a good thing Ep 2 is a new location, not a new technological system. And I guess I should give him credit for Tartarus, that sounds finished, although ironically a scene, and super not the tech guru's job.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

And cooking, and brewing, etc...

:)

Sulaene Moon and majoria70 like this.
  4. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

Very well said! I have been away from the game for about a year and I thought that I would miss it and want to come back. The truth told, the thought of logging in again makes me a little sick. I loved Shroud when I played, I loved my group of friends and I thought it was the best game ever. Slowly that changed. I got sick of the forced slowdowns and huge wastes of time. I got sick of the devs digging in their heels and refusing to make any changes outside of combat nerfs and new store items. I think I will be staying away for another good long while, maybe forever.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

@Sentinel2 , You really cant compare. ESO is Bethesda, Sota is Chris. Its a bit of a disparity. Bethesda has a licence to print money, Chris is literally forced to sing for his supper .

Cordelayne, Anpu and Sentinel2 like this.
  6. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

Fantastic Idea!

Aldo likes this.
  7. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

OMG! You are Really going to upset the guys who make and sell teleport scrolls. Giving away free scrolls! who are you ? Bernie Sanders!! LOL, JK, its a really good idea!

8. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

Ease back cowboy, if I recall my history lessons, the Nazis were super optimistic in 1938. Wild optimism isn't always a great thing. A skeptical, or even pessimistic attitude can sometimes be beneficial.

9. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

Exactly, Do we really want 200,000 14 year olds jumping in, yelling racial insults in chat and generally being giant pains in the ass? I see LOTS of that in the big population MMOs I visit. That and a very watered down amusement park gaming experience.

10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

True. His singing has really improved. I enjoy it when he sings drunk too ;-)

Moleren likes this.
  11. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

It has been and is happening, unless the new continent is about something other than new content for established players. That is where their resources are being devoted aside from combat balancing, and tending to the cash shop of course.

They don't have the resources to do all that and revamp starting areas too. If they were instead to do it your way the new continent would be have been on hold while yet further changes to the starting areas were worked on. Presumably, there would be a plan in place to maintain their interest while they wait... again.

And that is what I was asking you about, not the details of the revamp you would have liked.

As for the past, what could or should have been is irrelevant as what was is immutable.

12. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

It does, really. Optimism is wonderful, so far as it goes. So is realism.

One isn't going to get you far without the other.

Bedawyn likes this.
  13. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

That's always a good plan in the first place. We are no longer there, so plans must focus on the current place.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The starting scenes don't need to be revamped. They are solid, that's why they are starting to get 12% retention. They need to be connected and some other early game issues taken care of, the things that are reported over and over by new players or their ambassadors.

I'm glad you're feeling that the old players have been taken care of, though. Personally it seems it is a small subset of them, mostly the combat people. I hope those people keep buying long enough for the developers to circle back around to the other players and half done systems.

And personally I would have put EP 2 lands off until those systems were finished. But what do I know? I think they launched Ep 1 too early too. And that they should have committed to the "last 20% is polish and we're doing it!" promise from a couple years ago.

15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

We will always be there until the day the server goes off line. Your never past the point where you cant back track and fix/complete ongoing issues that discourage and flat out drive people away from the game.

16. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

To be fair, this entire thread focuses on alot of the issues we see in our game. And as expected, you are seeing several different opinions on how to "improve the game", "fix the game" and "problems in the game". The only thing consistent is the amount of diversity of ideas in what is needed for each of those categories. I personally think the power of each character is in their skills and the skill with which they play. Gear dependence lessons as your skills improve. I'm not saying gear doesn't help, but its not the primary driver long term. If you disagree with me, ask yourself which would you rather do...lose all your high end gear or lose all your skills (xp accumulated in those skills)? The answer will be lose your gear 100% of the time. My main is level 110 and I have participated in all the highest level content in our game. Of course, I haven't soloed it, but i have participated with groups and been successful in all of it. That includes the tartarus maze, despair, lost vale, and the clockwork dragon.

The only suggestion I do have as it relates to trying to keep and grow our player base is a "mentor" type of program. This program is completely player driven. It doesn't require any change at all to the game. This is where game veterans devote a portion of their time to the starter towns and assist the new players on the UI, game concepts, general information about career paths, and just being available to answer questions. Although there have been some differing opinions on how we proceed, it's good to see that people are still having a productive and civil conversation about it.

Numa likes this.
  17. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

And this is the issue right here.

It's mind boggling that you think it is the combat people that are being taken care of. The recent combat balances, as Chris calls them, haven't provided anything new. It was about making things harder and making spells less effective. How does that equate to the combat people being taken care of? Chris' combat balance is not new content nor is it taking care of players interested in PvE content.

Look back at the release and updates and if you can seriously come back here and say that the majority of them don't contain either medieval sim life/crafting content or fixes for that content then there really is no hope. In fact I have just had a look at this years updates and the only things I can find that might be considered combat players "being taken care of" is a rejig of Tartarus, that was pretty much done already anyway, and the Bard combat skill that is still not in the game. I can't really include new tameables here as they all act so generically in combat anyway it's just become a cosmetic thing.

Anything new for players who want PvE content , who are the majority of RPG players lets be fair otherwise game like SOTA and Wurm would not be as niche as they are, has been drip fed into the game in comparison to all the other content. The reason other system are in the state they are is because the devs have spent years trying to accommodate and please the smaller amount of players who want these things. The streams are a wall of people either wanting prize givings (so they can then sell them I assume), or asking for changes to the content you think is not getting enough attention, or complaining when Chris talks about an idea that might infringe on those players territory.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

Reading your post, this cartoon came to mind.

[​IMG]

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And none of them are smart enough to realize that you can just grip it closer to the end.

Numa likes this.
  20. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

You are talking about trying to get these guys to change their minds or admit the were wrong? They realized 2 months in they picked the wrong engine and decided to not change it. They have had to fire everyone. They were never hungry to create, just wanted to stoke their egos. They spent the first 2 years acting like drunken panhandlers and developed nothing but barbie doll cosmetics to sell at their whiskeyathons. Chris has been putting good money on top of bad for a long time now. Other than the initial idea of the skill system, there was little creativity in the game design or the art style, just a bunch of filler with no killer. Everyone has the same gear, and the game play choices you do get to make have very little impact on the game itself. As much as they made fun of other games questing, they copy pasted and poorly implemented the same things, except you dont get to kill anything, just walk around and click on people a bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.