Steam Community Hub Stagnant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Mar 18, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hey @Elgarion and @Ravalox ,

I am an avid Steam user, like many players. We have an awesome, automated, community wall as part of Steam for SoTA called "The Community Hub" that is supposed to highlight current events and postings on Steam about the game.

The top images and posts on that hub are years old! There are a lot of us that regularly post content to Steam, notably for me the Release Party announcements, that really should show at the top of the hub.

It almost looks like someone was actively moderating but stopped around 2018 and their pinned post choices remain.

Can someone take a look and allow the hub to be the vibrant updated thing we know it can be please?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    .dao., Mhtic, Metalocalypze and 10 others like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Agree - I know not everyone comes from Steam, but Steam has huge visibility and Sota's fingerprint there could certainly be better. Many people will give the game a try, despite the "reviews" if there's a lot of active, recent content that looks appealing enough, especially since its free to play.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Wasnt it Vladamir who kept on posting guides to the steam page? Maybe Elgarion could look into transferring some player created ressources and guides there, after asking the thread creators? Could give some extra help to the Steam visibility!

Obviously posting the release info every release would be a big start though!

Alleine Dragonfyre and FrostII like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The Steam community basically "shamed" every Sota fan off the site with very Negative reviews of Sota and when anyone tried to debate their issues, they would double their efforts to try and get Sota shut down, going to the extreme end with their negativity and disdain for the game...

I see no point in going over to steam for anything Sota related, everything you could ever want is right here on this site, you don't even need steam to play the game, so why bother with them?...

Steam is only a platform for throwing advertisements in your face as many times as they can...

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Good thoughts, thanks Alleine. I asked about getting the Steam access a while back to put out updates, but I got sidetracked. I do at least want to get some updates posted there to get us showing R75. I'll look into the hub at that time.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Every couple of months I update my taming guide on steam with the updates from the guide on here.

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

That spot on Steam though doesn't belong to the them, it belongs to us. Even if just pinned updates and guides are all that's there plus a message in each board subforum redirecting the new player to the SOTA boards - that's good enough.

We shouldn't stretch already thin resources to moderate and and guide discussions on two boards when only one is needed to host the discussion threads.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

For all of Steam's many flaws, it does not utilize paid advertising.

Alleine Dragonfyre and arcdevil like this.
  9. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I always check the discussions on steam before buying a game. If it's totally dead... to me the game is dead or dying and I won't buy it.

Another suggestion would be a sticky that redirects to the official forums.

10. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Same here. I regularly check games in my library for updates and figure this game hasn't been updated in years based on that.

Alleine Dragonfyre and FrostII like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah the General Discussion forum on Steam should have a sticky that clearly states continuing game discussion is currently only on the Official Forums (with a link). The team just does not have the resources to constantly maintain 3 websites (The Official Page, The Official Forums and Steam). Though some basic stuff like the release announcements should probably be posted. The rest could all be links back to the Forums (like for the Community Hub) could have a sticky to the Player In-Game Events forum. Also most all of the Basic information that can be found on the forums should have a sticky there as well. Like the Help for New and Existing Players post. If anything, that should be on the Steam forum now.

I do however agree, a better presence on steam is actually a good thing and presents a better state of the games activity though. I might actually switch to steam and start monitoring the forums there....

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Also wouldn't hurt to post some videos of current play on Steam :)

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Don't ignore Steam. Jezzuz. How can that even be a sentence that is being said?

14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I used to play on the client, now I play on Steam on purpose to help with the player count thingy on steamcharts. I think it's important to utilize steam's built-in offerings and the 3rd party charts.

Prada, FrostII, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Using the Steam client is a good idea - we need to get those numbers up.

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

[​IMG]

16. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

SotA's Steam page already has a link to the website.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

so glad most agree! :D

They didn't shame me or any of the other players that still load it up using Steam.

While I agree that this team has minimal human resources, I do believe the sheer size of benefit Steam can provide the game warrants a few hours a week tending to it. A few hours a week would probably cover it, maximum.

The discussions are already non-moderated. So be it.

But, the Community Hub for a game is linked off the main info page for the game's store page, the first landing page everyone sees when they click on a game title. Presently, if a viewer goes to that hub, it literally appears that no new activity has gone on since 2018 unless the viewer starts scrolling a lot. Unpinning whatever is at the top of the Community Hub (if possible) will allow new content to populate the top of the page automatically which would, much more realistically, represent the life that does exist in Novia.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    evillego6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.