1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make Sheet Music Copyable

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

My honest question is why. Why would you want to copy music? The reasons I see are the following :

1. You want to play the same song with a buddy. A: They can sync with you and play the same song as you!
    2. He wants to have that song as well. A: Your music sheet has a makers mark, send them their way!
    3. You want to sell the music. A: You aren't the creator, so you want to sell plagiarised work?
    4. ???

I would like to see the reasoning as to why you would like to be able to copy it, one that isn't solved easily with another very simple method.

(and if it is like Nick said, that the process is longer for the creator, then sure, allow copying if you own the makers mark, OR, I mean you are crafting a good, we don't allow crafters to copy their crafted items, but that is honestly not something I bother, especially for music, so yes, allow music sheet copying IF YOU OWN THE MAKERS MARK ONLY).

Xiones and Numa like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I can confirm (just checked ingame before I made my previous post) The makers mark is visible, so yes, it is free publicity for the maker, it is a great idea.

Numa likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well if you craft the blank sheet music your name shows even if someone else makes a song with their own abc files on it. So if Baldrith makes a sheet music from his own abc files (which he sometimes does)with one of my blank crafted sheet music then my name will show as crafted by. So the makers mark doesn't really exist for the abc files just the sheet music. If that makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

Can I upvote this by 100000000?

Numa likes this.
  5. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

No, Down vote it and close this thread.

6. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

I make and sell music and it's annoying as hell to to this one at a time. I'd love to be able to make multiple copies to sell on my vendors.

What is wrong with that? Of course I want to upvote it.

Wilfred and Nick like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Avatar

Chris will be looking at crafting soon. He should take a look at this and get it done if it doesn't take up too much time.

Numa likes this.
  8. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

At the very least the original creator of the music file should be allowed to bulk produce it on a printing press.

The process of converting the music for the instrument music engine on the SoTA is difficult and should be rewarded.

It would be nice if published works in SoTA could be given term copyright. If the player stops publishing them and/or doesn't pay the renewal fee the copyright should expire and players should be allowed to copy the document freely.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If only the players with the abc files can make the copies of songs in their own game sheet folder. Of course I don't want anyone using my abc file information just to clarify. This is touchy in my strong opinion. I'm not trying to be a downer but this is more complicated than just do it as the answer.

10. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

Feels like this should be changed for books and music to always set the maker's mark to the one that published the text/music not the one that created the paper / copied.

Nick, Numa, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

12. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

It copies the ABC files when the sheet music is copied, but that said there is likely a way to mark the files when they are copied over. (While parsing them and validating them to remove any non-fatal errors.)

13. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Well if that happens, then it is a deal breaker for me, and I'll won't be selling my music.

14. Nick

Nick Avatar

Even if only creators of the music can copy his own music?

15. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Yup.

16. Lace

Lace Avatar

Do you know how many hundreds of hours I have spent working on sheet music for the game? And I should just let someone copy my arrangements? I don't think so.

It was specifically designed this way just to avoid the problem you are advocating.

Cyin and majoria70 like this.
  17. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

But if it is another artists music that a person has made a arrangements from, then it isn't theirs to begin with and they must get publishing rights if they want to re-sell.

"U.S. copyright laws protect a song's arrangements as original works of authorship. This intellectual property protection extends to the underlying musical composition of your song, including chords, musical notes, harmonies, rhythm, and lyrics."

Now, if a person has permission and the publishing rights then I 100% agree with you but...

"If a person does not receive express permission from the holder to use, reproduce, sell, or perform the song's composition or arrangement and uses the work anyway, then the holder can sue that person for infringement."

https://ostrowesq.com/no-you-dont-own-your-arrangement-of-that-hit-song/

18. illusive_allusion

illusive_allusion Avatar

I will gladly pay original copyright owners a royalty of IN-GAME GOLD (and increase my prices to cover it), since I make no real money on my ABC arrangements. This would greatly increase the player population since every record company, artist, and royalty-paying organization would have to create an account in order to collect what they're due. :)

In all seriousness, I doubt that many artists give a flying phark that players of a video game are "exploiting" their intellectual property rights inside the game. That said, I would seriously (and gladly) remove any and all songs from all of my vendors if I received a cease-and-desist letter from an intellectual property owner. And checking in on the general copying argument, if Chris grants free ability to copy sheet music to all players, I have absolutely no control over what anyone does with my sheet music. The cease-and-desist order would have to go to Catnip, or the owner would need to contact every single player who has copied the material to which said owner holds rights. Furthermore, the free-use MIDI files widely available on the web from which I make my ABC usually have been created anonymously. Intellectual property owners who are truly concerned ought to shut that avenue down, since none of those MIDI file creators own rights, I assume. Metallica, who aggressively pursue infringement regarding mp3s, have never attempted to shut down freemidi or midiworld for hosting MIDI covers of their songs, so far as I know. To get truly ridiculous, every player who performs a song in the game owes a performance right royalty to the entity which owns the song. Public performance requires no express permission, but the royalty must be paid. So, is what we do in this game with music a public performance?

In short, it's a fine can of worms into which no one has yet dove, so far as I know. Music for an official game soundtrack involves a synchronization license. I have no idea if what the players do falls under this type of license or not (it would be exceedingly difficult to police since it then hands to the developer the job of paying royalties on content over which the developer has no direct control!). Were Catnip liable for paying these royalties, all players who play music would be required to submit playlists just as radio stations do. (Who wants to track how many times he's played every song he's ever played? Can you say "take all the danged fun out of it?")

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Cyin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.